Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:09 pm

TheAlex wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:02 pm
There are loads of Switch games currently on sale. I bought The Last Campfire, Iron Crypticle (retro Smash TV-esque co-op), Old Man's Journey and Horizon Chase Turbo: Senna Forever (the first time I've bought DLC). All totalling <£10.
I really enjoyed The Last Campfire. It's one of those mid-length games you can finish over the course of a few hours, but it's all quality time with no filler; there's no repetition or combat, just exploration, puzzles, and an unfolding story. I particularly liked the soundtrack and narration, which add greatly to the atmosphere.

In similar arty indie game vein, Gris and Spiritfarer also have big discounts and are well worth picking up if you've not done so yet.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:20 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:09 pm
TheAlex wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:02 pm
There are loads of Switch games currently on sale. I bought The Last Campfire, Iron Crypticle (retro Smash TV-esque co-op), Old Man's Journey and Horizon Chase Turbo: Senna Forever (the first time I've bought DLC). All totalling <£10.
I really enjoyed The Last Campfire. It's one of those mid-length games you can finish over the course of a few hours, but it's all quality time with no filler; there's no repetition or combat, just exploration, puzzles, and an unfolding story. I particularly liked the soundtrack and narration, which add greatly to the atmosphere.

In similar arty indie game vein, Gris and Spiritfarer also have big discounts and are well worth picking up if you've not done so yet.
Great, I may check that out first. When folders were finally introduced on Switch, one of the first folders I created was for 'short games' (based on avg time shown on Deku Deals). I think I already have Gris and Spiritfarer but will double-check. Old Man's Journey is supposed to be in a similar vein too.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:25 pm

Old Man's Journey is a very short game. You can probably finish it in an hour or so. It's not on sale at the moment either, although it gets regular deep discounts so it's worth sticking on the wish list.

Spiritfarer, on the other hand, is a deceptively lengthy game; I spent more time finishing it than I did on Xenoblade DE or SMT V, even! In terms of the gameplay it's more of a life sim - like Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley - so it does get a bit repetitive and grindy towards the end, but the story is absolutely top notch.

In terms of actually short games currently on sale, I'd recommend A Short Hike, Abzu, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Thomas Was Alone. The evergreen Another World has also got a pretty hefty discount too.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:53 pm

Following my post in the "Currently Playing" thread, I received my M30 bluetooth gamepad by 8bitdo. Amazing third-party pad with a proper floaty d-pad and 6 button layout that look/feel identical to the Saturn's. Very sturdy device as well.

Totally transformed Ultra Street Fighter II for me and I can now play it with perfect precision. I've had my Lite propped up on my desk in the old Wii-U gamepad stand which I've never used until now lol

I'm even now tempted to pick up Capcom Fighting Game Collection on the Switch instead of the PS4 (as originally planned).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:56 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:53 pm

Totally transformed Ultra Street Fighter II for me and I can now play it with perfect precision. I've had my Lite propped up on my desk in the old Wii-U gamepad stand which I've never used until now lol
Only downside with that is you are playing Ultra SF2

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:27 am

DPrinny wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:56 pm
Megamixer wrote:

Speaking of, vanilla Street Fighter II is currently free for a limited time via the Capcom Arcade Stadium.

Vanilla sure but free is free....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:52 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

True, it is far from the best SFII. In general, Super Turbo is my favourite but I prefer to play Hyper for all the options.

Because Ultra looks like HD Remix, I thought it would be similar, but the music is naff. The new characters are fun but not that creative at all. I'm still surprised that Violent Ken was in considering he was only previously in an SNK game (I assume Capcom somehow still have the rights for him and must have created him for SVC Chaos in the first place).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:42 am

There will be a 20 minute Xenoblade 3 Nintendo Direct this Wednesday. :D
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:25 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:52 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

True, it is far from the best SFII. In general, Super Turbo is my favourite but I prefer to play Hyper for all the options.

Because Ultra looks like HD Remix, I thought it would be similar, but the music is naff. The new characters are fun but not that creative at all. I'm still surprised that Violent Ken was in considering he was only previously in an SNK game (I assume Capcom somehow still have the rights for him and must have created him for SVC Chaos in the first place).
V Ken was also in the Street fighter 2 OVA.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:48 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:42 am
I hope its not too spoiler-y. I know I can simply not watch but I know there's going to be more fanart popping up in my feed and such. :lol:

Just wanna play it with as much of the story kept under wraps as possible.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:22 pm

ALK wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:48 pm
pratty wrote:
I hope its not too spoiler-y. I know I can simply not watch but I know there's going to be more fanart popping up in my feed and such. :lol:

Yeah I was always already sold on it off the strength of the series anyway. I'll probably watch it for the features etc but if it starts getting too detailed with the story then I'll switch it off, or skip over it if I don't watch it live.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:52 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:22 pm
ALK wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:48 pm
pratty wrote:

Yeah I was always already sold on it off the strength of the series anyway. I'll probably watch it for the features etc but if it starts getting too detailed with the story then I'll switch it off, or skip over it if I don't watch it live.
Yeah, I recall one E3 Direct spending quite a long time explaining how to play Xenoblade 2 which I feel bad for those not remotely interested in JRPGs and I love 2 to bits. :lol:

So its probably that to not repeat the same mistake again for the eventual Main Direct.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:14 pm

pratty wrote:
I wouldn't criticise anyone for anticipating and enjoying them, but I find these regular updates ridiculous. We rarely got a single trailer as recently as 10-12 years ago. Imagine how much time and resources that are wasted instead of just waiting to play the game. It's the way of the world these days of course - companies trying to stay in the public consciousness with everything else that's competing for attention.

Perhaps I am being overly critical, as I did enjoy previews in magazines back in the day. The endless trailers, reveals and videos are the modern equivalents. A short gameplay trailer and a review or two are enough for me (and I get annoyed when trailers don't show gameplay). I'm glad the majority of BotW continues to be a surprise to me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:21 pm

TBF, Xenoblade 3 was originally meant to come out in September but then got moved to next month, so the info was probably not as spread out as they were intending.

Am a little more excited for it after seeing that Direct though.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:01 am

Bullet Soul and Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst slated to hit Switch around September. Great games, though not sure why you’d want the original when Infinite Burst has everything in the original and more. Fantastic shmup and a killer soundtrack