Capcom Can't Spell

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Capcom Can't Spell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 am

The games are in fact called GhostS'n Goblins, plural (we'll let the missing apostrophe slide for now), and Bionic CommandO, singular.

Any more? Is anyone else this sloppy with their own games?

rossi46

Re: Capcom Can't Spell

Post by rossi46 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:59 pm

As a fellow middle-aged Scot, I understand your negativity and general pessimistic outlook, but ffs can you not post something positive once in a while?
Vindictive as an offended wasp.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:01 pm

I'd expect that it's just a lost in translation thing.

Japanese doesn't have explicit plurals so you've got to guess one way or another based on the context, and presumably Capcom used translators with differing ideas.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:23 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:59 pm
As a fellow middle-aged Scot, I understand your negativity and general pessimistic outlook, but ffs can you not post something positive once in a while?
If he were a real Rev. , imagine the sermons of doom! :shock: :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:41 am

I've only just noticed that some of the 8 bit cassette versions from Elite continue this error on the spine of the tape box. It's correct on the cover image, but the spine has the typo. Some of the rereleases (like the Encore one) fix it, but that looks accidental as a branding thing so spines on the shelf have the same font.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:42 am

rossi46 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:59 pm
I didn't realise this forum was overburdened with content. I shall refrain in future.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:33 am

Not within the titles themselves, but I always found it funny that Cave would threaten legal action through the use of fruit preserves

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 am

Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I always thought the original arcade game was Bionic Commandos as it was 2 player, but as it was only 1 player on the 8-bits it was the singular or maybe that was just the speccy, or all the home conversions. I'm just going off memory here, what, you think I should Google this stuff to actually find out?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:02 am

the_hawk wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 am
Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I always thought the original arcade game was Bionic Commandos as it was 2 player, but as it was only 1 player on the 8-bits it was the singular or maybe that was just the speccy, or all the home conversions. I'm just going off memory here, what, you think I should Google this stuff to actually find out?
The cab artwork and title screen of the arcade game are singular, the plural error only appears in the promo material.
https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=7123
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:11 pm

I wonder if one of the translators involved went on to do Zero Wing. :D

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:29 pm

My own Buzzsaw+ is Buzzsaw on the loading screen as it had to fit around 32 attribute squares!
It's the same on the box art too - the title at the top was lifted from the loading screen as it has the same swirly colours I was fitting around those very same attributes.

To be honest, I wanted to go even further with the discrepancies, such as a deliberate extra space or a hyphen in the spine title, but it is what it is! :lol:

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:48 pm

Curious description there for Ghost(s) and Goblins. 'Destroy Satan and escape from Hades'. An interesting mix of mythologies; I assume they're trying to be polite and avoid referring to 'Hell', though it does the ancient God 'Hades' quite the disservice as his underworld was never the 'eternal torment' sort of gig. I don't really see Satan and Hades getting along in a co-habiting situation. But who knows.
Then 'There is a time limit' - of course there is. You're in an immortal realm with beings that have existed since the dawn of time. But if you could be done by 4 that'd be lovely...