Nintendo GameCube

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Echobelly

Nintendo GameCube

Post by Echobelly » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:13 pm

Just joined the forum. Any Nintendo GameCube fans here???

Pacific

Re: Nintendo GameCube

Post by Pacific » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:29 am

Hello! :)

Yes for sure, it's a great little machine.

Couple of favourites I've been playing recently are Zelda Wind Waker, Pikmin and two-player of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

Do you have any favourites in particular?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:41 pm

It was my "main" console of that generation for some time until I eventually got a PS2 and I loved it. I used to own pretty much all of the big games that are worth loads of cash now but I didn't keep everything, just my favourites. Off the top of my head:

Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda Collectors Edition
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
Tales of Symphonia
Paper Mario
Beach Spikers
F-Zero GX
Pokemon Colisseum
Pokemon XD
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Warioware
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Smash Football

I've also had the likes of Mario Tennis and Golf, Metal Gear, Mario Kart, Eternal Darkness, all of the Resident Evils, Baten Kaitos etc. but I couldn't keep everything over the years.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:15 pm

Yeah, great little console with some interesting exclusives.

Was watching a video on an SD card solution earlier to replace the optical drive, it looked really simple to do so I might look into it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:43 pm

merman wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:15 pm

Was watching a video on an SD card solution earlier to replace the optical drive, it looked really simple to do so I might look into it.
Do you mean the GC Loader? Its seems decent, its also not mega expensive unlike a lot of other systems (Looking at you 3DO thingy) but ive yet to come across a GC with a nackered lazer.
Hate to replace a working one and the Wii already plays all GC games off a HDD and has a decent cheap HDMI soliton

Can get ones that plug into the Memory card slot but they seem to not be that good

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:53 pm

I didn't get into Luigi's Mansion on launch but have played the 3DS version recently and think that's great. I wasn't a big fan of the Mario Gamecube games either, but my brother tells me I should try Sunshine again.

It was an era when I stopped playing games so much, but I love(d):

F-Zero GX (despite it's brutal difficulty, and it still looks awesome today)
Mario Smash Football (better than the Wii version and still got lots of play with Wii backwards compatibility)
Super Smash Bros
Pikmin 2
Twilight Princess
Timesplitters 2
Need for Speed: Underground
Super Monkey Ball

I've probably forgotten something.

If I ever get off the Switch, I'm intending to play:

Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime

I wonder how it'll all work with memory cards thinking back though. I tried to sort the Gamecube memory cards out 3 to 4 years ago and wonder what happened. If I can save to Wii system memory, maybe I'm ocake for stuff I haven't played yet.

I can't remember if I have Wave Race: Blue Storm and wonder if that's worth playing (mostly for nostalgia for the N64 version, which I still have).

And is your username from Echobelly the band?

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:12 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:43 pm
merman wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:15 pm

Do you mean the GC Loader? Its seems decent, its also not mega expensive unlike a lot of other systems (Looking at you 3DO thingy) but ive yet to come across a GC with a nackered lazer.
Hate to replace a working one and the Wii already plays all GC games off a HDD and has a decent cheap HDMI soliton

Can get ones that plug into the Memory card slot but they seem to not be that good
Also on this, I saw a 3D printed solution on ebay so you don't have to remove the disc drive.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:43 am

TheAlex wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:53 pm
I can't remember if I have Wave Race: Blue Storm and wonder if that's worth playing (mostly for nostalgia for the N64 version, which I still have).
It's good but it's really hard and doesn't have quite the same playability as Wave Race 64.

Echobelly

Post by Echobelly » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:08 am

Thanks for the replies guys. In answer to Pacific's question about games I play RE4 a lot along with Tony Hawks 3 & 4, Dave Mirra 2 and Aggressive Inline. Though I'm working my way through Second Sight at the moment.

srj672

Post by srj672 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:41 am

I love my GC and the controller melts in the hand. I loved:

Super Mario Sunshine
Eternal Darkness
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario - 1000 Year Door
Metorid Prime 1 & 2

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:02 am

I love the GameCube, I'm the proud owner of 6 of them, including an orange one. Half are PAL, half are NTSC. Plus another I use for spare parts. I've about 13 or 14 official controllers, including a couple of Wavebirds and the Smash re-releases. Don't have an orange one though.

Got a pretty decent collection of 40 or so titles including many of the most desirable ones, and have both PAL and NTSC versions for many of them. The big one that escaped me was Fire Emblem, just cant justify spending what it now goes for on a single game.

The best game is probably Metroid Prime, closely followed by Zelda: Windwaker and RE4.
Echobelly wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:08 am
Though I'm working my way through Second Sight at the moment.
Pretty good game that, quite under appreciated today.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 am

Metroid Prime is just such a great game. Just the atmosphere, that bit at the start when you look up and the rain is falling on your face-plate, the music etc. was just brilliant.

Funny I think it was a bit like with Windwaker, when people saw the concepts of the screens they thought "omg what have you done, you've ruined it" but then when you actually played the games they were fantastic.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:32 am

I went back to Prime last year. It hasn't aged well. It still looks/sounds great, but the controls are a bit shonky and the constant need to scan everything is tiresome. Throw in massive difficulty spikes (that blocked my progress bitd) and I just didn't much enjoy it.

GC was my James Bond console. I always think of those games in relation to it, as it had a good run of them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:27 pm

I tried Prime last year, I realised how much I hate the GC shoulder buttons

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:37 pm

I enjoyed the Cube version of Prime for its time, but once I'd played the Wii version with pointer controls there wasn't any going back to it.

If the game ever gets ported to Switch - as so many insiders have claimed it will be - it'll be interesting to see what they do with the controls there.