What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Toki

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Toki » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:46 pm

I, this weekend, am playing.. Adventure Island II on 3DS (NES virtual console) !

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:48 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY
Bonanza Bros
Super Monaco GP
Rolo To The Rescue
Chase HQ II
Ghouls 'N Ghosts

:D 8)
Press Play On Tape

Toki

Post by Toki » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:34 am

Hi there !

As I just finished Adventure Island II on 3DS. This weekend I will be playing Alex Kid on switch (SEGA AGES Alex Kidd in Miracle World)..

Sergio Georgini

Post by Sergio Georgini » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:59 am

Toki wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:34 am
Hi there !

As I just finished Adventure Island II on 3DS. This weekend I will be playing Alex Kid on switch (SEGA AGES Alex Kidd in Miracle World)..

The remake is out in a few days. I'm pretty certain you can switch from retro mode to modern graphics. Cannot wait.

Toki

Post by Toki » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:27 pm

Sergio Georgini wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:59 am
Toki wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:34 am
Hi there !

The remake is out in a few days. I'm pretty certain you can switch from retro mode to modern graphics. Cannot wait.
That would be great ! I had bought the sega ages version a while back. I also pre ordered the coming version, should unlock any day now.. Never played it before, but I think this is the kind of retro platformers I really like.

On my list
- Kid Icarus (done)
- Adventure Island II (done)
- Alex kid (this weekend)
- I am thinking next Metroid, likely 3DS. Any recommendation ?

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:31 pm

SPECCY SUNDAY
Danger Mouse
Spy Hunter
Count Duckula
Super Sprint
Grange Hill

Press Play On Tape

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:23 pm

Crazy Chicken tails, (Wii) It looks nice and thats about all I can find that I liked about what I played of it. Got to a "Frogger" stage, the frog had tank controls and it was a real prig to judge the distance between lillypads.
Dead space Extraction, this seems like a fun ride, a few things urk me, mainly when you are doing a control panel thing and monster's are attacking and your back up isnt, sections that you can "kinda" explore but only for a few seconds, also Melee attacks dont seem to damage and all monsters attack out of range of it

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:01 am

I loved the first Dead Space and second, didn't really get on that well with the third one although I know some people love it. Perhaps my expectations weren't in the right place for it?
What kind of game is Extraction is it a follow-up to that?

I'm playing Road Rash II on the MD. Damn the game is still so much fun, although just getting onto the higher difficult levels and boy is it tough! If Public Enemy No. 1 knocks me off one more time into the path of an ongoing police.. Ngghhh!!!!! :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:14 pm

Dead Space: Extraction is an on rails 'light gun' game rather than the 3rd person action game the others in the series are.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:59 pm

Yeah its "On rails" but you can sometimes chose a different path, Its kinda not advised to use a gun attachment to the controller as you need to press a lot and shake it when things jump on the screen
It got mental towards the end
The ripper is the worst weapon and you are stuck with it and the rivet gun for most of a level.
Surprising amount of detail for a Wii game. Its also only about 4 hours long.
Worth playing

SpecChum81

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:49 pm

MEGA DRIVE MONDAY
WWF Royal Rumble
Back To The Future Part III
Sunset Riders
James Pond 3: Operation Starfish
Haunting Starring Polterguy

Press Play On Tape

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:13 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:14 pm
Dead Space: Extraction is an on rails 'light gun' game rather than the 3rd person action game the others in the series are.
I really enjoyed it. And I think it was Darran who chose it as a Future Classic for the mag.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:47 pm

merman wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:13 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:14 pm
I really enjoyed it. And I think it was Darran who chose it as a Future Classic for the mag.
Its one of the better Wii games, (Also on PS3). It shows what companies can achieve if they dont just port something to it and tag on Waggle controls

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:00 pm

I was hooked in the atmosphere of the first few levels. I don't think there's much else that's nailed that vibe of impending doom quite so well, the rest of the Dead Space games included.

It does start to drag a bit later on though. I'd definitely trade a couple of hours less crawling through corridors fighting the same old monsters for a few more proper boss fights.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:36 am

Just playing Bio-Hazard Battle on the MD. Safe to say I won't be adding that game to the 'games you have completed' forum! :)

An awesome game (the graphics, sound and even concept of the game is so cool) but Christ it's hard, ripping me to shreds on even the easy setting with max lives! Quick, to the Game Genie cartridge! :D