What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Pacific

Re: What's the most iconic retro game that's actually rubbish?

Post by Pacific » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 am

Breath of the Wild is a work of art, what are you talking about? :)
RetroBob wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:25 pm
Let's be honest with each other - Altered Beast sucks, and we all know it.
Hah.. I think it was just a game of its time. At the time it was released, the massive colourful sprites and booming soundtrack made it something distinctly 16-bit. The game itself wasn't that good, but I think it was something that clearly advertised that the new consoles were a step up from the previous generation and sold the MD on the 'arcade in your home' thing.
It's kind of like if you watch The Blair Witch project now on TV and its crap, at the time of release it was very different :)

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 am

Final Fantasy VII

Every time i pressed a button it felt like a random fight occurred. couldn't actually get to explore anything, just got irritating in the end

5MinuteRetro

Post by 5MinuteRetro » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:18 am

Do we think Animal Crossing (2001 onwards) counts as both retro and iconic? If so, that's at the top of my list.

I'd never played it before getting a Switch last year (thanks, lockdown) -- but my oh my, what an empty pile of dross that is. Okay, I'm talking about Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which I guess isn't retro at all but, if that's a flavour of the rest of the series, I simply fail to understand its success. I mean, what *is* with that tiny island?! I spent weeks wondering what I must be missing but, nope... it's just rubbish.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:00 pm

5MinuteRetro wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:18 am
Do we think Animal Crossing (2001 onwards) counts as both retro and iconic? If so, that's at the top of my list.

I'd never played it before getting a Switch last year (thanks, lockdown) -- but my oh my, what an empty pile of dross that is. Okay, I'm talking about Animal Crossing: New Horizons, which I guess isn't retro at all but, if that's a flavour of the rest of the series, I simply fail to understand its success. I mean, what *is* with that tiny island?! I spent weeks wondering what I must be missing but, nope... it's just rubbish.
It's escapism and a fake "life" to get away from reality. I think you need to be of a certain mindset to lose yourself in it and really get involved. I know I no longer am these days!

I played the hell out of the DS version but I had no life back then so I had plenty of time to get absorbed lol
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:22 pm

Pacific wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 am
It's kind of like if you watch The Blair Witch project now on TV and its crap, at the time of release it was very different :)
Blair Witch Project was always crap though. Well, at least for the people who couldn't accept the whole 'found footage' premise it was just an hour and a half of shaky camerawork, bad lighting and worse acting. The only thing particularly clever about it was the marketing.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:21 am

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:22 pm
Pacific wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 am
Blair Witch Project was always crap though. Well, at least for the people who couldn't accept the whole 'found footage' premise it was just an hour and a half of shaky camerawork, bad lighting and worse acting. The only thing particularly clever about it was the marketing.
Yes I agree. I was referring to that small group (in the US really) who had gone to the cinema thinking that they were possibly seeing something that was real, thanks to the marketing and build-up. (I'm sure most probably realised it wasn't, but we do like to scare ourselves!) Outside of that context it was pretty poor, and especially since the found-footage format was done to death following.

In the same way I don't think Altered Beast was that bad in the context of it being the boxed game with the Mega Drive release. It almost served as a demo disk, showing what the machine was capable of, even though there wasn't very much substance to it!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:36 pm

I'll eternally be against Altered Beast no matter the reasons why some people cut it some slack lol. It has a few "so crap it's great" moments (the speech such as "POWAH UP") but overall it's just no fun to play. I cannot stand the game.

Saying that, I think there are many "showcase" launch games for other consoles that are pretty dire in retrospect but will be remembered fondly for how advanced they might have seemed at the time. I'll cut Altered Beast a little slack in THIS regard, as I doubt that the game is alone.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:34 am

I agree. I think also nostalgia can colour it. I was a 10-year old and my cousin had his brand new MD plugged through an amp and speaker system. Both the intro to Revenge of Shinobi (with the lightning flashes & music) and the bit where the human face changed into a wolf in Altered Beast (and the accompanying booming sound effects) was just the coolest thing I had ever seen and heard! :)

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:12 pm

kebabinho wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 am
Final Fantasy VII

Every time i pressed a button it felt like a random fight occurred. couldn't actually get to explore anything, just got irritating in the end
I didn't like it either. I also tried a Final Fantasy game on the SNES and found it boring.

Preferring Ocarina of the Time to it is one of the reasons I ended up sticking with Nintendo since (I also preferred Super Mario 64 vs Crash Bandicoot and F-Zero X vs Wipeout).
Matt_B wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:10 pm
Both Skyrim and The Witcher III have irritating weapons degradation systems too, so be warned on that score. You can mod them out when playing on PC, but I don't think that's an option on the Switch.

They're really slow starters as well. If you'd asked what I'd thought of them five hours in, I'd have said they're loaded with bad tutorials, overly complex mechanics, impenetrable menus and had already forced me into making decisions of far reaching consequence that made me want to re-start. Things should eventually click though, and after fifty hours I'd have reached my current opinion that they're stone cold classics.

At least with Breath of the Wild you'll know whether you're going to like it or not fairly quickly.
I have Skyrim and The Witcher for Switch, but you've put me off them now! Tutorial stuff annoys me (give me a manual any day), and I thought the opening of Breath of the Wild was perfectly pitched, and the game is the closest a modern game comes to beating my retro favourites.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:27 pm

I'll correct myself there as Skyrim doesn't have a weapon degradation system. I probably had its predecessors, Morrowind and Oblivion, in mind when I said that. The game certainly does come with a learning curve though, especially if you've not played any of the prior games in the series.

I'd still recommend it highly though. You've just got to be prepared to put in a few hours to get used to it before it'll really start paying you back, and that's par for the course for an RPG these days. Breath of the Wild is just highly unusual in being a game of similar overall scope, yet still highly accessible.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:39 am

kebabinho wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:43 am
Final Fantasy VII

This is my feeling about turn-based RPGs full stop. I much prefer the more action based ones of the Legend of Zelda/Secret of Mana type.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:47 am

ulrich7ad wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:15 pm
Really couldn't get into breath of the wild. Played it for twenty hours which is more than most games would get. Just had too many things that got on my tits, the biggest being breakable weapons.
That was never much of an issue for me, the game seemed to present me with plenty of weapons, plus I always equipped my weakest weapon first so when it broke the replacement weapon was always an upgrade rather than a downgrade.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

srj672

Post by srj672 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:54 am

Star Fox. It wasn't even amazing looking at the time, and the on rails style feels stiff and weird.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:10 am

How dare you sir! :) The on-rails shooter is a time honoured tradition (Space Harrier, After Burner etc.)

That game certainly blew people away when it was released, although of course looks so basic nowadays from a 3D perspective.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:34 am

I still think StarFox plays well even if the frame rate is pretty low, I'll often throw it on if I'm in a SNES mood because it's one of those easy to play nostalgic things for me. I 1cced it in my first couple of hours of borrowing it bitd.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.