Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by DPrinny » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:56 am

Is there even 500 games on it?

*Googles*
TEH WIKI wrote:There are currently 1558 games across the Lists of PlayStation Vita games.
Bloody hell, a lot are probably download only and even less are worth playing

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Keep in mind a lot of those will be Japan only VN games, or just really strange stuff (trust me on that one, I have like 4 Mahjong games on the platform at least). I think I read a stat that there are around 100 odd limited release games at least for Vita, or will be by end of life. Granted I don't have them all (passed on some of the really bad ones) but there are more games out there than you'd think.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:24 am

Yeah, whats this Fifa I keep reading about? it seems to be some gay little game about guys in shorts running about.

I am dabbling in some of the Vitas library thanks to hacking.

Really want to give the Virtual on cross over game a try at some point

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:21 am

I think the Vita is a great handheld which was held back by some stupid decisions from Sony like those expensive memory cards. I didn't buy one when they first came out but have picked one up since and there are some great games for it. Its cool to have a work and play during my lunch, currently working through the Sly series which I have never played before.

shame more people (like myself) didnt give it a chance when it first came out.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:24 pm

I didn't give it a chance cos it cost a fortune and the memory card was a small fortune. And for me personally the library isn't all that great - certainly not as good as the PSP. I'm not into RPGs and JRPGs which it seems it's strength lay.

Still, I now have two hacked Vita's with all sorts of Vita, PSP and retro games.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:24 pm

There is a load of "Jap crap" on it, titles only of interest to shelf collectors. TBH Disgaea 4 has been getting constant play

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:39 am

Oh yeah, there's some hilarious Euro Jank and Japanese shelf filler games available on Vita, that said I still vastly prefer it to the 3DS library outside of Capcom's and Nintendo's output.

Just last week I finished up playing Catherine Full Body on the Vita. Story began annoying me because a) Vincent really started annoying me and b) getting the alternate endings and correct dialogue choices became a real chore real fast. But the gameplay... its so good, the game is perfect for a handheld, as its got that nice addictive puzzle design that works perfect as a pick up and play game. Port is surprisingly decent as well for a late Vita title. Well worth the purchase I thought.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Rather late to the party but received a Vita in the post today from EBay. It’s in great condition too.

Looking forward to routing through this topic for game ideas.

Quick question, is remote play possible without signing into to PSN?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 09, 2021 7:09 am

Quick question I have a Oled Vita doesn’t hold a charge for long when it’s not plugged in. I’m told it’s an easy fix but I probably end up breaking it

My PS Vita is an Oled Screen PS vita Henaku unlocked to 3.60 but plays all later firmware SD2Vita 64 gig micro SD card. Retroarch, PKGJ (free game shop) Homebrew browser custom themes manager, auto plugin, adrenaline (play PS1 games)

Full games
Bullet Girls Phantasia
Night Cry Clock Tower 4
Bunny Must Die
Xeno Crisis

PSP Jeanne D’Arc

After busting my White Witch and Donkey Kong 2 G&W when trying to install new lens, I don’t really want to risk knackering a Vita. Has anybody here tried the removing the battery fix?

I wonder if I should sell it and get a slim model do Slims have same issue?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 09, 2021 7:33 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:09 am
Quick question I have a Oled Vita doesn’t hold a charge for long when it’s not plugged in. I’m told it’s an easy fix but I probably end up breaking it
Replacing the battery is easy, I think it has some small ribbon cables that are iffy to get back in place, but its been a months since I opened mine to fix one of its sticks
OG PSP's are starting to get the expanding battery problem

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 09, 2021 9:49 am

^^^ I checked my PSP the other day as I hadn't used it for a while. I try to charge anything with a lithium-ion battery at least every six months but they will inevitably bloat and leak or explode if not caught in time.

It's why I'm sceptical of these people who have large collections of GBA SP, DS, or PSP console variants with all those batteries, many of which have probably never been charged and will ultimately become unstable and expand.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun May 09, 2021 4:02 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:33 am
Shinobi wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:09 am
Replacing the battery is easy, I think it has some small ribbon cables that are iffy to get back in place, but its been a months since I opened mine to fix one of its sticks
OG PSP's are starting to get the expanding battery problem
Looking at a YouTube guide he says you can shatter the Vita if your too rough with prising it open. Problem is I’m not very dexterous when it comes to small things like that. The Youtuber in question reckons its allegedly just a case of removing and reinserting the battery. Good to know about the battery as I won’t be spending money on another one.

Thing is only Vita game I really want Night Cry is Red Ninja Bad actually Red Ninja is a better game. I could write an essay how broken that game is.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:02 pm
Looking at a YouTube guide he says you can shatter the Vita if your too rough with prising it open. Problem is I’m not very dexterous when it comes to small things like that. The Youtuber in question reckons its allegedly just a case of removing and reinserting the battery. Good to know about the battery as I won’t be spending money on another one.

Thing is only Vita game I really want Night Cry is Red Ninja Bad actually Red Ninja is a better game. I could write an essay how broken that game is.
Not so much shatter more like call it a p**k when tryign to put it back together and the shoulder buttons keep falling out

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 14, 2021 3:06 pm

In related battery news, I pulled my original launch DS out to sell. Noticed the battery cover was sticking up a bit and, yep, swollen battery. These Lithium batteries can - in worse case scenario - burst into flames. Again, it really makes me think about those people with massive collections of sealed hardware variants still packing the original factory batteries.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:35 am

There is a really good Facebook group for the Vita if anyone ever needed help hardware wise.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."