PS3/PSP/PS Vita Digital Stores to Close July/August

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: PS3/PSP/PS Vita Digital Stores to Close July/August

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 am

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:35 am
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:09 am
Does it matter? All of the PSP games have been ripped, haven't they, so they aren't lost.
For the most part, the only problem is the DLC, dont think the PSP had loads of it, the Vita on the other hand
The Vita store is remaining open.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:20 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 am

The Vita store is remaining open.
It gives people that little extra time to try to preserve that DLC.

Its a shame that when the download stores close that they dont just bung it on to some archive site,
They wont be selling it anymore so piracy shouldn't really be a problem

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm

It looks like Sony has reversed their decision, for the time being at least.

They might be losing money on them now, but presumably nothing like enough of it to be worth the amount of backlash it was drawing.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:35 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:21 pm

They might be losing money on them now, but presumably nothing like enough of it to be worth the amount of backlash it was drawing.
Such great news and really unexpected.

Do you know if they're losing money on them or are you just assuming? I'd be interested to know... I imagine they've done good business in the last couple of weeks! :wink:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:58 pm

batman877 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:35 pm
Matt_B wrote:

Such great news and really unexpected.

Do you know if they're losing money on them or are you just assuming? I'd be interested to know... I imagine they've done good business in the last couple of weeks! :wink:
The press release references 'commerce support challenges' which I suppose is nebulous enough to mean things other than losing money, but it's pretty obvious that the costs of operating the stores are mostly fixed, while the revenue will have declined a lot over time.

I don't doubt that, as well as the outpouring of fan outrage, there was also a significant bump in revenue in the wake of the announcement. However, I don't think it'll change that aspect in the long run, and this is very much being pitched as a goodwill gesture.

Oh, and the PSP store is still going but it's had a phenomenally good run.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19 ... perations/

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:00 am

Matt_B wrote:
The press release references 'commerce support challenges' which I suppose is nebulous enough to mean things other than losing money, but it's pretty obvious that the costs of operating the stores are mostly fixed, while the revenue will have declined a lot over time.

I don't doubt that, as well as the outpouring of fan outrage, there was also a significant bump in revenue in the wake of the announcement. However, I don't think it'll change that aspect in the long run, and this is very much being pitched as a goodwill gesture.

Oh, and the PSP store is still going but it's had a phenomenally good run.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19 ... perations/
Ah, fair enough. You're right they will still close eventually, but we're good for the foreseeable future at least.

I was just going through my PS3/Vita downloads library and I've amassed 747 things! :shock: I suppose a lot of them will be 'online passes' or 'multiplayer maps' etc but that's a lot more than I thought I'd bought.

I've just installed a 1TB Solid State Drive and the load times are now SO much faster! I recommend upgrading!

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:03 pm

Looks like Sony have made some improvements to the PS3 store! The whole frontend seems to run faster and some glitched titles are available to purchase again; I just managed to purchase 'Infamous: Festival of Blood' for example.

Also, when syncing trophies, not only is it faster but PS4 and Vita titles have started to appear again (they dropped off a while back and sometimes trophies wouldn't sync at all).

This all feels so unexcepted and unlikely! I know it won't last but it's made me happy for now! :D