What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm

Splatterhouse (2010)

While not perfect and sometimes it can be brutal its a fitting remake

Sergio Georgini

Post by Sergio Georgini » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:24 am

Not retro, but 'Rise of the tomb raider' on PS4. I loved every single minute of it, though the DLC was not for me at all, shooting zombies in Lara's mansion.....Meh! But the main single player campaign is awesome!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:18 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm
Splatterhouse (2010)

I enjoyed it. It was one of those games that felt both crappy and entertaining at the same time. The section that did my head in from memory was the bit where you have to run across a collapsing bridge? I can't remember the specifics but it was very annoying, and not what the game should have been about.

Had fun piecing together those photographs too 8)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:39 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:18 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm
Splatterhouse (2010)

I enjoyed it. It was one of those games that felt both crappy and entertaining at the same time. The section that did my head in from memory was the bit where you have to run across a collapsing bridge? I can't remember the specifics but it was very annoying, and not what the game should have been about.

Had fun piecing together those photographs too 8)
Streamed it on twitch I got a warning on it due to the music.
Yeah I remember failing on that bit, also on another section where a building is collapsing.
The "2D" sections where a neat little nod with the music getting chiptuny

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:31 pm

ImageJust completed a game released by Midas that ISNT TOTAL S**T!!
Its a Rainbow islands style game where he fires out arches. Its on a rotating level
The boss battles are odd. its like they know nothing about the source material
To defeat Medusa you have to avoid the snakes she drops from the sky till she drops to the floor and starts spinning, then you have to drop aches on her till she stops to hit her
Poseidon, dodge the tridents he throws from the air till he decides to stop and shoot lighting on a platform then jump up and hit him

srj672

Post by srj672 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm

Portal 2 - An absolute gem of a game. Very witty writing, and the gameplay is gorgeous. I really hope they can do another one

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Golden axe beast rider
"Blood'n shit" - Gillius
Done, not a masterpiece, but entertaining in its own way and also bloody annoying at times. boss battles are, mostly easy, Death Adder was way to easy.
Most of the combat can end up as waiting for a orange or blue flash, pressing the counter button then attacking
It also has a FECKIN OPEN ENDING!!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:21 pm

srj672 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm
Portal 2 - An absolute gem of a game. Very witty writing, and the gameplay is gorgeous. I really hope they can do another one
I'm sure it'll be next up when they finally get Half Life 3 out. :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:44 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:33 pm
Golden axe beast rider
"Blood'n shit" - Gillius
Done, not a masterpiece, but entertaining in its own way and also bloody annoying at times. boss battles are, mostly easy, Death Adder was way to easy.
Most of the combat can end up as waiting for a orange or blue flash, pressing the counter button then attacking
It also has a FECKIN OPEN ENDING!!
I hated this but I am constantly tempted to try it again. There was some sort of BS with the continue system that annoyed me...lost all of my lives at a section with gusts of wind by a cliff causing insta-death, but when you continue, you only restart with the one life not all of the stocks you burnt through. It made the checkpoints a waste of time imo.

Also thought that riding beasts was a waste of time as getting knocked off made them more of a hassle than they were worth.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 pm

Finished Catherine: Full Body several times for different endings. Excellent, excellent game, though I was more of a fan of the story and design rather than the block-pushing gameplay. Think I'll check the other ELEVEN endings out on Youtube as I don't even know what I'd have to do differently to get them. I've done the obvious of ending the game in either end of the morality meter.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:36 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:44 pm
I hated this but I am constantly tempted to try it again. There was some sort of BS with the continue system that annoyed me...lost all of my lives at a section with gusts of wind by a cliff causing insta-death, but when you continue, you only restart with the one life not all of the stocks you burnt through. It made the checkpoints a waste of time imo.

Also thought that riding beasts was a waste of time as getting knocked off made them more of a hassle than they were worth.
It is pretty punishing at times and that one time when it killed off a beast that I needed to smash a gate. A lot of fights against a few foes ended up being just wait till they do an attack and counter.

It has one hit kill counters, these are awesome when they happen, even better when its someone tough.
The Wind bit was a bit annoying, one later on on a small ledge was the worst, needed to fireball some torches, if only they could be manually aimed.

Getting knocked off beasts can get tedious, but it also can be done to anyone on one. best thing to do with them is hit and run, some have running attacks that send guys flying
The T-Rex thing towards the end was awesome. It can throw you off after a bit but if you keep it eating people its fine (First by skewing stabbing them with its tail then commanding it to eat or some guys just get eaten from the off).
It also has one of the most irritating enemy's in any game.
EXPLODING GNOMES!!
They run at you and blow up, can be knocked back, but they also drop a green vile that poisons. They also have a summoner that spawns them and teleports away when you get close.

You get lives in it? I just had a life bar

Need to do a highlights video of my stream of it, lots of yelling and contemplating that being skewed up the bum isnt a nice thing to do to someone

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:08 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 pm
Finished Catherine: Full Body several times for different endings. Excellent, excellent game, though I was more of a fan of the story and design rather than the block-pushing gameplay. Think I'll check the other ELEVEN endings out on Youtube as I don't even know what I'd have to do differently to get them. I've done the obvious of ending the game in either end of the morality meter.
You don't have to play the game over and over to get each ending. A hard save before you answer the Chapter 9 questions will give you just enough waggle room on the morality meter to to get at all the original endings.

The Rin endings require a totally different route though, so maybe just watch them on YouTube if you don't fancy another full replay.

There's a guide here:

https://samurai-gamers.com/catherine-fu ... onditions/

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:36 pm
Pretty sure you get statues that give you checkpoint-style continues upon death? I seem to remember burning my stocks on tough sections, then re-starting from points where you couldn't pick up anymore. It was only really a bugger on insta-death segments as having the life bar made no difference.

Hopefully I'm not mixing it up with another similar third-person game.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:08 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 pm
You don't have to play the game over and over to get each ending. A hard save before you answer the Chapter 9 questions will give you just enough waggle room on the morality meter to to get at all the original endings.

The Rin endings require a totally different route though, so maybe just watch them on YouTube if you don't fancy another full replay.

There's a guide here:

https://samurai-gamers.com/catherine-fu ... onditions/
Cheers. I'll have to check that out :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:36 pm
Pretty sure you get statues that give you checkpoint-style continues upon death? I seem to remember burning my stocks on tough sections, then re-starting from points where you couldn't pick up anymore. It was only really a bugger on insta-death segments as having the life bar made no difference.

Hopefully I'm not mixing it up with another similar third-person game.
You find Dragon statues that let you continue from where you died and a restart point when ever a part is done, they get bloody long later on. But other than that, no lives.
TBH a lot of third person games of that time and onwards look the same.
Graphic's haven't progressed since the PS3/360