Arcade 1ups THREAD!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Arcade 1ups THREAD!!

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:02 am

They seem to be bringing out a load that could be of interest so THREAD WITH RELEVENT INFO!!

What are they?
About 4ft tall arcade machines, usually with a few games on them, not meant to be played standing up unless you get a "Riser" they are also slimmer than a normal cab so dont expect to large people to play on one comfortably.
They also are not heavy, I can pick mine up and carry it over my shoulder, it comes with something to attach it to a wall for extra stability
They use LCD screens, apparently some early ones had problems that have been ironed out
They come flat packed and are easer to assemble than an Ikea anything.
They also do bartops, digital pinballs, 4 player machines, cocktailtables and other style machines.
They are all fully licensed ROMS

Are they worth it?
Depends, at full price maybe not, but they do often go on offer, the Street fighter one can be gotten for about £250
If you are a SERIOUSH!!11 player they will not be for you,
I have the Street fighter one and have noticed its generally "Ok" (Buttons have trouble with rapid fire moves, 2.0 sound, but only one speaker also why normal Super? Will be modding at some point).
They don't seem to be made for heavy use, the wood on the front and back panels is thin chipboard type.

Modding you say?
Yes it can be done, but its not as simple as chucking in a Pi, they require a few extra bits, a monitor conversion board (This varies from model to model usually about £40) and an encoder for the buttons (£10 for each player). Basically if you have MAME converted a JAMMA cab you will be fine.
I have looked into putting a CRT monitor/TV on the inside and it will require a lot of reinforcing the insides and extending the back

Where can I buy?
Argos, Amazon, Smyths toys, Ebay to name a few UK places

What is out?
This is tricky, they take months to bring them to the UK and by that time the US stock usually has gone on sale, been told someone on UKVAC is willing to import, ill be looking into it in the distant future if anyone is up for it.

To see there catalogue check the website

Ones of interest (To me)
Street fighter - They have done a few that use the Capcom layout, but this is the most common for modding
(SF2 Hyper fighting, Super, super turbo) - UK
Centipede - With trackball
(Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, and Crystal Castles!) - UK
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Four player as intended
(Inc Turtles in time) - UK
Star wars - Full sit down cab with the Yoke, they also have a stand up one
(Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi!)
Outrun - Full sitdown
(Turbo, Outrunners, Power Drift)
PONG 4player pub table - Personally, I really want this one as I was looking into making such a thing
(Quadra Pong, Pong Doubles, Warlords, Pong Sports, Circus Atari, Tempest, and Super Breakout)
Atari legacy edition - I love the look of the Tempest arcade cab
(Asteroids, Centipede, Major Havoc, Missile Command, Akka Arrh, Crystal Castles, Tempest, Millipede, Gravitar , Liberator, Asteroids Deluxe , and Space Duel)
Mini PONG Jr - What? I think it looks cool
Digital pinballs

Any questions about them just ask

Bluce_Ree

Re: Arcade 1ups THREAD!!

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:02 am

I tried one of these at Costco a year or so ago. It was the Pac-Man one and it really is a perfect size.

Short of sticking a Pi in one of them, the only one I'd really be in the market for would be a Donkey Kong one. Obviously Nintendo would never allow it but if they could get that sorted out it'd print money.

Maybe if there was one with Kung Fu Master on there, I'd give that a go. But 250-300 quid for a machine with 2-5 games on it isn't great value.

I would have definitely bought the Mortal Kombat one though but those games have aged pretty badly.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:02 am
I tried one of these at Costco a year or so ago. It was the Pac-Man one and it really is a perfect size.

Short of sticking a Pi in one of them, the only one I'd really be in the market for would be a Donkey Kong one. Obviously Nintendo would never allow it but if they could get that sorted out it'd print money.
Theres a ton of companies that they could work with, but it might be down to how much that company wants to let its licenses go for

Maybe if there was one with Kung Fu Master on there, I'd give that a go. But 250-300 quid for a machine with 2-5 games on it isn't great value.

I would have definitely bought the Mortal Kombat one though but those games have aged pretty badly.
You might of played on one with a riser, basically its a branded bit of wood they you slot it in to make it taller

If they worked with Nintendo it would be easy money, they could sell them for a grand each and people would snap them up (Nintendo fans are crazy)

I have looked at trying to build a "Clone" Arcade 1up, about £200 to make one, that's before adding artwork and a decent PC (Sod PIs, they cant run anything released in the past 20years)
If you can find someone willing to import they can be gotten for under a ton as they often go on sale in the US

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 am

Luckily I don't play any arcade games from the last 20 years! :)

Yep, it did have a riser. Was okay though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:30 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 am
Luckily I don't play any arcade games from the last 20 years! :)

Yep, it did have a riser. Was okay though.
Most have been ported anyway.....

That's the general reception to them, they are "Ok"

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 pm

I'd love something like Star Wars, with controls you can't properly emulate elsewhere, and I'd pay the asking price, but until they're on sale in the UK talking about them is just pointless gum-bumping.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:01 am

I've got a MAME arcade machine with Retropie in it so it emulates tons of stuff

When i picked mine up the guy had one of these Arcade 1up's there. He said they're getting really popular now, people pay him to mod these machines to have retropie etc put in them.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:28 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 pm
I'd love something like Star Wars, with controls you can't properly emulate elsewhere, and I'd pay the asking price, but until they're on sale in the UK talking about them is just pointless gum-bumping.
I think importing is the only way to get that one, its one id be interested in as well, if the price is right

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:13 am

Brexit means the price would never be right - an importer cannot make enough profit now they have to pay huge markups/customs fees/clearance fees/deal with extra red tape.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:11 am

merman wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:13 am
Brexit means the price would never be right - an importer cannot make enough profit now they have to pay huge markups/customs fees/clearance fees/deal with extra red tape.
Pretty much just for importing one your self it would be, some people ship bulk items in containers along with other things (mostly arcade machines).
Like a group buy kinda thing, not 100% on this but I think its down to the amount of space things take up on the container, about 4 of these take up about the same space as a regular full size machine.
Only downside is if its broken, you cant return it

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 pm
👆 Completely agree. If the Star Wars and Out Run cabinets were available in the UK I would buy both at full price. No question.