Nintendo Switch Discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:00 am

Sel Feena wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:50 pm
Panzer Paladin really is very good, only run through the one level so far (Scotland) but I’m having a good time. It seems the game does throw weapons at you like candy! It would be nice to have a proper description of the spells, unless I’m missing that in the menus somewhere, things like Heal are obvious, but Durability and Reflect? :?

Hatsune Miku on Switch looks a hell of a lot better than the slightly off plastic look I’m used to on PS4, happy with the track list too
I couldn't play Miku on the Switch because of the backwards way they have the A/B and X/Y buttons. Confuses my puny mind but makes hitting the notes more difficult than it really should be. I'll stick with the PS4 version (which I'll barely play because I just play DJMax instead!)

As for Panzer - I've cleared it twice, the weapon buffs are the following:
Durability - felt this one was fairly self explanatory but basically makes your weapons last longer before they break. Which is handy if your using good weapons (especially boss weapons) that have that magic combo of insanely damaging and long reach!
Reflect - reflect enemy attacks via shield.
Blessing - actually super important - some enemies will afflict you with a cursed status (health continues to decrease) and you need to break a weapon with blessing to cure yourself. It also slowly heals you while the blessing status is active
Thunder: Smart bomb
Absorb - gain a small amount of health back from any enemies on screen

Its a good game, but on the first run, too easy. Replaying the remix mode makes it vastly better because the difficulty is cranked up, weapon drops feel more irregular and weapons seem to break more quickly (you might take more damage as well). Levels are made harder with more obstacles and more enemies are added. Its fantastic, easily the most fun way to enjoy the game from my point of view. I had a lot of fun with the game, nice and fast paced, the weapon mechanic is cool and the out of mech stuff is fun. Still feel the game drops too many weapons but that's really my only big complaint.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:21 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:00 am
I couldn't play Miku on the Switch because of the backwards way they have the A/B and X/Y buttons.
One of the system updates for the Switch a while ago brought in universal button remapping, so you can now easily swap the A/B and X/Y buttons around to the proper place. Makes life much easier when swapping between Switch and an Xbox pad, much less accidental selections and cancellations.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Then you get games like Fhatasy Strike

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:13 pm

Button mapping is a good solution, but I'd still think that Nintendo got there first with the ABXY layout on the SNES and it's Microsoft who are doing it wrong.

Sony at least had the grace to name enough of their buttons differently so developers have to make a conscious choice to change the layout when porting to their platforms. That's just as well considering where they put the X button.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:11 am

Nintendo being first doesn't make them right.

They even confirmed this with the Gamecube controller, putting the biggest, most used (A) button in the middle of the others, with other buttons left, right and above it.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:51 am

For Miku there’s the option to have the PS4 button prompts, smart move as those are ingrained in a lot of fans’ muscle memory now

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:53 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:11 am
Nintendo being first doesn't make them right.

They even confirmed this with the Gamecube controller, putting the biggest, most used (A) button in the middle of the others, with other buttons left, right and above it.
I think you're missing the point, so I'll just link you to this article that explains it all:

https://gamecrate.com/just-fix-your-con ... tton/23875

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 am

Fair enough, but for me, A seems a logical label to put on the 'main' button to be used, which would be the bottom one in the typical cross layout. MS are good at interfaces, they picked up on that and corrected Ninendo's mistake.

Button remapping should be a standard feature though. It was when we started with this 40 years ago.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:49 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 am
Fair enough, but for me, A seems a logical label to put on the 'main' button to be used, which would be the bottom one in the typical cross layout. MS are good at interfaces, they picked up on that and corrected Ninendo's mistake.
You think the people who gave us Aero and Metro are good at interfaces? :lol:

Seriously, I get that Microsoft have known how to design a good controller for some time. The One and 360 controllers are truly top notch. However, the original Xbox 'Duke' controller wasn't. It's widely derided as one of the worst ever made even, so I'm not buying the ergonomics argument.

Also, that's not really where they settled on sticking the A button at the bottom. You've got to go back to the Sidewinder controllers from the mid-90s; they're not great either, and the Dual Strike in particular has to be seen to be believed. However, it's pretty obvious that they were just copying Sega's design for the six-button MegaDrive controllers at the time. Over time they lost two of the buttons and the remaining four settled into the familiar diamond pattern, but they were locked into the ordering for historical reasons just as surely as Nintendo were into doing it the opposite way round.
Button remapping should be a standard feature though. It was when we started with this 40 years ago.
No arguments there.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:15 am

'Accept' to the right 'cancel' at the bottom does seem to be an odd Japaneseism. Sony recognised it, with one of the western localisation features being a button swap to put 'accept' on X where it belongs.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:23 am

Matt_B wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:49 pm

Seriously, I get that Microsoft have known how to design a good controller for some time. The One and 360 controllers are truly top notch. However, the original Xbox 'Duke' controller wasn't. It's widely derided as one of the worst ever made even, so I'm not buying the ergonomics argument.
The "Duke" isn't that bad. The d-pad, like pretty much every Xbox controllers dpad (aside form the Xbone), is garbage. Its a sizeable controller, but it isn't uncomfortable to hold (I would classify myself as having average size hands, yes ladies, you heard). The 6 button arrangement on the Duke is arguably better than the S for some fighting games as well (in a 6-button sega formation).

I've also had an S controller break, while the Dukes are still going......but I can't entirely say whether that is down to just lack of use! :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:09 am

Good to hear Miku has some options for button mapping (and the universal mapping is a good idea as well). I'll have to give the demo another shot in that case.

Meanwhile, I've been putting some time into the second retro styled Bloodstained game. It definitely feels a bit harder than the first one, which is no bad thing really! The knock back is pretty brutal at times, feels like you really go flying (and there's so many pits!). The new characters all bring something good to the table, and the boss fights have started getting really interesting on the second loop. Definitely a game I'll be putting lots of time into no doubt.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

srj672

Post by srj672 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 am

got my Switch on my birthday on Saturday and really digging into all that I can do with it. Aside from the lack of streaming bar YouTube, I'm really impressed with how they handled everything.

Aside from that though, I'm shocked at the price of the games, although I this is the first time I've had current gen tech and I usually buy second hand.

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:17 am

srj672 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 am
got my Switch on my birthday on Saturday and really digging into all that I can do with it. Aside from the lack of streaming bar YouTube, I'm really impressed with how they handled everything.

Aside from that though, I'm shocked at the price of the games, although I this is the first time I've had current gen tech and I usually buy second hand.
Yeah and Nintendo games don't tend to get much cheaper, especially in comparison to Sony's and ms offerings.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Indie presentation today, quite a few games dropped soon after.

The final 'big' reveal was a free co-op update for Untitled Goose Game, as well as a future physical release.

Personally, the Switch port of Hades interested me the most.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823