Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

GAZBEROTTEN

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:05 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:40 pm
Lol wouldn't it be funny if the Saturn Mini came out with Tomb Raider on it? I know licensing means a highly unlikely game on a highly unlikely mini console....it's just the irony would amuse me! :)
All that would really mean is that Tomb Raider fans would just support the Saturn Mini more and the majority of people actually buying it would be tomb raider supporters. That being said Sega doing that wouldn't be a bad idea if they could wack in a few other Saturn Classics and the best games they would have this nailed solid.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:29 pm

Sega would sooner make a "Dreamcast mini" tbh. The Saturn bombed in the West and was kept barely alive until the DC came out. Although it still got it's share of cult-classic games that would warrant a re-release.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:22 pm

The Laird wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:20 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:18 pm
If only someone had mentioned the Wipeout music before...

Not all Wipeouts used licensed 3rd party music, some only had internally composed (Cold Storage) stuff. They could very easily use that version.
Well, Tim Wright (AKA Cold Storage) told me that the music he did for Wipeout was his and that he licensed it to Sony so if they re-use it they have to pay him.
Ok. So do you imagine he would refuse this offer of free money to license them? And would this be easier to arrange, and probably cheaper, than going to the various third parties needed for the other acts?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:22 pm
The Laird wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:20 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:18 pm
If only someone had mentioned the Wipeout music before...

Not all Wipeouts used licensed 3rd party music, some only had internally composed (Cold Storage) stuff. They could very easily use that version.
Well, Tim Wright (AKA Cold Storage) told me that the music he did for Wipeout was his and that he licensed it to Sony so if they re-use it they have to pay him.
Ok. So do you imagine he would refuse this offer of free money to license them? And would this be easier to arrange, and probably cheaper, than going to the various third parties needed for the other acts?
When I spoke to him a while back he was on really bad terms with Sony after they had taken his Sound Cloud account down claiming "copyright infringement" so I really don't think he would want to deal with them after that.

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:30 am

For me PS Vita is a much better PS Mini than this micro-console. You can buy more games for it (or go the rogue way). It is portable and games look much nicer on smaller OLED screen than stretched out to 40 or more inches.
Also there are twin thumbstics. The only downside is that you can't play 2-player games but since the same games you purchased are also available on ps3 as well - you can do that there.
Both used PS Vita or the ps3 can be had for 80-100 pounds or even less also

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:01 am

JamesC wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:48 pm
I wonder why they settled on including just 20 games. They could have doubled that number without too much effort (even if only by including some sequels).
The manufacturing cost is something to consider here. I doubt there's a great deal of space left on whatever storage unit they've put in it, as PlayStation games are comparatively huge - especially when you consider that Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII are both multi-disc games. Doubling the number of games would almost certainly increase the cost of the console, before you even consider the cost of licensing additional games to fill the roster - Sony's first-party output beyond what's included is not very deep.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:04 pm

Solegor wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:30 am
For me PS Vita is a much better PS Mini than this micro-console. You can buy more games for it (or go the rogue way). It is portable and games look much nicer on smaller OLED screen than stretched out to 40 or more inches.
Also there are twin thumbstics. The only downside is that you can't play 2-player games but since the same games you purchased are also available on ps3 as well - you can do that there.
Both used PS Vita or the ps3 can be had for 80-100 pounds or even less also
I got my Vita (original OLED, almost perfect condition) for £60 on Gumtree. Hacked it, bought an SD card and now have a portable PSOne.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:36 am

I doubt I'll pick it up, but I honestly reckon if it was Destruction Derby 2 instead of 1, that'd be enough to tip me over.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:41 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:36 am
I doubt I'll pick it up, but I honestly reckon if it was Destruction Derby 2 instead of 1, that'd be enough to tip me over.
Yeah, I actually think the lineup is pretty solid to be fair, and there are some games there that will offer hours, like FF and RE. I was the same, if there had been a couple of sequels- like destruction derby I might have been swayed. And the old Road Rash is fun, would've been keen for sure.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Eurogamer have a review, and they're not terribly impressed.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ppointment

Mostly it's much the same gripes people have had on here about the controllers and the games selection, but it would also seem that the emulation quality isn't all that, and the presentation is somewhat lacklustre. I'd be most concerned by the lack of any filtering options and the input lag, although I'd like to see the latter quantified in terms of an actual number of frames of video.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Mostly it's much the same gripes people have had on here about the controllers and the games selection, but it would also seem that the emulation quality isn't all that, and the presentation is somewhat lacklustre. I'd be most concerned by the lack of any filtering options and the input lag, although I'd like to see the latter quantified in terms of an actual number of frames of video.
Judging by that trailer video, they went for an "authentic" 240p and pixlated/warping PlayStation look. It's a bit of a "love/hate" thing, as some people value a more faithful look while others want a more "modern" one, with higher res, smoothened out edges/textures look that emulators can provide.

Personally, I like to experiment with various filters and settings to find out what sort of look fits me best.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am

Matt_B wrote:

Yeah I am pretty happy to have cancelled the preorder tbh

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 am

kiwimike wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am
Matt_B wrote:

Okay 240p in 2018 is a joke.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 pm

GAZBEROTTEN wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 am
kiwimike wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am
Matt_B wrote:

Okay 240p in 2018 is a joke.
It's actally 720p, but running off a emulator and with internal PSX resolutions, so usually 240p and no filters.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Strictly speaking it outputs in 720p.

It's just that there are many ways of upscaling the 240p output of a PlayStation game and it only offers the most basic in that every pixel the PlayStation would generate is rendered as a 3x3 block of pixels.That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it tends to suit pixel art, but supersampling generally works out better to smooth out the jagged edges in 3D games, while others might prefer a filter that mimics the look of a CRT display. When most free emulators offer you dozens of options these days, it seems a bit slack for a commercial product to have just the one.