Modern(ish) TV distortions in 4:3 mode

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sephiroth81

Modern(ish) TV distortions in 4:3 mode

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:16 am

Does anyone else, using modernish LCD/LED tvs for component based (480p/720p res) consoles like the Wii and Xbox, get a strange distorted line at the far right edge of the screen when switching to 4:3 mode on their telly?

Not sure if i'm explaining myself clearly, but for Wii Virtual Console games, I always flip my TV on to the 4:3 mode (as they tend to be obviously old games designed for that pixel ratio) to avoid the weird stretched out look on 16:9 mode, but on the far right hand side of the screen, where i feel it should be darkness, is some sort of distortion which i find quite distracting.

It occurs on both the Wii and Xbox via component on progressive scan modes, but strangely enough the only solution i've personally found to remove the flickering/coloured distraction, is to switch the console into 480i mode. Which of course results in a loss of sharpness in picture. :cry: Fortunately most Wii/Xbox original games have 16:9 support, but not all, and the VC and emulators most certainly don't.

I know its only a small issue, but I can't see or find anywhere on the web either a solution for it, or even someone else mentioning the problem. Maybe I'm going mad and it doesn't even exist...... :shock:

pratty

Re: Modern(ish) TV distortions in 4:3 mode

Post by pratty » Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Maybe an obvious question but have you tried a different TV? Could just be an oddity of that TV.

Do you switch the Wii into 4:3 mode for 4:3 games, or leave it at 16:9 and just switch the TV to 4:3? Maybe both the TV and Wii need to be in 4:3?
Pratty's trade list, updated (June 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:38 am

pratty wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 pm
Maybe an obvious question but have you tried a different TV? Could just be an oddity of that TV.

Do you switch the Wii into 4:3 mode for 4:3 games, or leave it at 16:9 and just switch the TV to 4:3? Maybe both the TV and Wii need to be in 4:3?
Good question - but I'm almost certain it occurred on two tvs, one oldish lcd, and a newish led (on 4:3 mode in progressive scan mode). I'll have to test it again just to make doubly sure.

I tend to leave the wii on 16:9 mode, and just use the TV settings to adjust. I am less certain I've tried that, but i'm 80% sure i've tried the 4:3 mode on wii with the same results occuring, but good suggestion. I'll double check! Ta.

So far, the best way to remove it, is either using an RGB scart (which I guess is the same as using a component at 480i), or just setting the Wii into interlace mode, but that obviously compromises image quality.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Nah, sadly changing the Wii into 4:3 mode doesn't work, as you still then have to set your tv to 4:3 mode as well (it even prompts you to do so!), and the weird light bleed occurs.

Its very peculiar, and I can't find anywhere on the net replicating the same problem. Maybe they just put up with it (as its no deal breaker!) or either leave the screen with stretched 16:9, or perhaps on interlaced 480i mode.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:16 am

I've seen slight light bleed/discolouration from pure black on the far right when using black bordered 4:3 video on at least one of my TVs. Seems like it follows where the image is brightest on the right before the border. I just put it down to my buying cheap crappy TVs from Asda and not spending thousands on a top range Sony. Cuts are made somewhere to keep costs down, so I accepted this as just one of those things.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:50 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:16 am
I've seen slight light bleed/discolouration from pure black on the far right when using black bordered 4:3 video on at least one of my TVs. Seems like it follows where the image is brightest on the right before the border. I just put it down to my buying cheap crappy TVs from Asda and not spending thousands on a top range Sony. Cuts are made somewhere to keep costs down, so I accepted this as just one of those things.
I'm not sure its so much a LCD light bleed (I've seen these before, especially on these handheld android style consoles/tablets), as the distortion appears on the far right hand side on 4:3 where the black border begins rather than the edge of the entire screen, if that makes sense. I'd expect light bleed to be on the very extremes of the panel. We may be talking about the same thing - but were you running the image on progressive scan, and perhaps through component? Does the issue disappear when you switch to interlaced, or run it via scart cable?

Its strange, the tv sets i'm using might not be top of the range, but they are Sony and Samsung units - its just a curious distraction, and wonder if anyone else had noticed this very specific problem.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:16 pm

Ah, that sort of distortion. Not seen that since my CRT days. I had a Matsui TV that was terrible for bending the edge of the image out slightly on the brightest bits of the image. Mid tones were fine, but whites would distort out. Nope, not noticed it on the Wii on flat panel.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:16 pm
Ah, that sort of distortion. Not seen that since my CRT days. I had a Matsui TV that was terrible for bending the edge of the image out slightly on the brightest bits of the image. Mid tones were fine, but whites would distort out. Nope, not noticed it on the Wii on flat panel.
You running your wii via component and in ED:TV 480p progressive scan on your flat panel screen?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:45 pm

I honestly can't remember, it's been ages since I used my Wii, and even longer since I set it up.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:45 pm
I honestly can't remember, it's been ages since I used my Wii, and even longer since I set it up.
Ah ok, fair enough. I am of the belief that this occurs to any console that is running off component in progressive scan mode (and in 4:3). Xbox OG the same occurs, same with PS2, as well as Wii. Don't have the super-duper expensive component cable for the Gamecube, so couldn't confirm that one, but I'm guessing it would be the same outcome.