Sega Saturn Collecting

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Mootown

Re: Sega Saturn Collecting

Post by Mootown » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 am

HEAVYface wrote:nice selection of consoles riddler. I have a white one and a derby stallion version myself.

at some point I wlll pick up a bog standard launch release model too so I can play space harrier and outrun properly.
I read about these issues a while back - interestingly I have a White Saturn and two copies of Out Run and Space Harrier - all japanese and all work perfectly well.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Mootown wrote:
HEAVYface wrote:nice selection of consoles riddler. I have a white one and a derby stallion version myself.

at some point I wlll pick up a bog standard launch release model too so I can play space harrier and outrun properly.
I read about these issues a while back - interestingly I have a White Saturn and two copies of Out Run and Space Harrier - all japanese and all work perfectly well.
I wonder if it's an issue number problem? I had a white Saturn and currently have a this is cool saturn and have never found a copy of either game that would work with them :(

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 pm

if you get a copy from the 2nd print run on outrun it will work on a white Saturn, but I don't know how you tell the difference if you were to buy a copy online or a shop - you'd probably have to get the shop keep to test it if they can.

my version of space harrier will boot on both systems, but the frame rate is about 5fps. I don't think its a screwed disc as it looks minty, so I assume it has the same problem as outrun (and the same fix)

powerdrift, after burner 2 and galaxy force 2 run flawlessly mind.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mootown wrote:

I wonder if it's an issue number problem? I had a white Saturn and currently have a this is cool saturn and have never found a copy of either game that would work with them :(
Maybe I just got lucky - three times?!

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Thu May 11, 2017 9:04 pm

The 2nd print runs of Space Harrier and Outrun can be only identified by the serial number on the disc. The box art and manuals are exactly the same.

Outrun = GS 9110P 01050A P1K
Space Harrier = GS 9108P 00902A

I have them both...
Attachments
collage_20170511215758265.jpg
collage_20170511215758265.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 256 times

VirtuaMuser

Post by VirtuaMuser » Sat May 13, 2017 4:20 am

Did a fair bit of Saturn collecting myself between 2010-2014 and sticking with Japanese releases only. At the time being able to get the likes of Virtua Fighter, Nights, and Sega Rally for less than 5 bucks a pop was awesome. Also was lucky enough to land a few factory sealed games from PlayAsia, such as Megamix for 10 bucks. Good times... but yeah costs have def been rising.

The pride and joy of my collection are Battle Garegga, Cotton 2, and Street Fighter Zero 3.

Sega Saturn UK forum was a great place to hang out whilst I was still actively collecting. Great resources and really helpful members too.

Last Saturn game I bought was Waku Waku 7 last year.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 14, 2017 8:36 am

The price differences between different regions games is sometimes a bit funny

Deep fear is a perfect example, Jap version about twenty quid, PAL version nearly £200
The Jap one has English speech, LOTS OF IT! Only the menus will be annoying (Google translate FTW)

Was given a Jap one the other week

Not tested it as I cant find my stepdown, planing to do the PSU board swap with a PAL model that has a nackerd drive
Dont really have a use for it as I have one with the Rhea board and a fully modded PAL one that plays anything, just something for events when I get some more Jap games
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon May 15, 2017 7:51 am

Cex now sell Saturn stuff. Interesting looking at their pricing and how they have unboxed consoles for £90. I appreciate that people buy with trade ins so prices are naturally higher than the going rate, but I expected something around the £50 mark.

That said, I think they give good credit for their trade-ins on games. Can't think of any PAL stuff I'd want to pick up, but will still be nice seeing the games on shelves again :D

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Heck even if you have a large Saturn collection, it'll be useful if you see a box upgrade you need.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:47 pm

PSU swapped in a Japanese one for a UK one
IT WORKS!!
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Hacking, just need to make my Japanese one CD-R friendly

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 pm

I found my pal Saturn Keio's Flying Squadron in the attic earlier disc is a bit knackered due to the naff cases. Cex will give me a crazy amount for Keio's
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 pm
I found my pal Saturn Keio's Flying Squadron in the attic earlier disc is a bit knackered due to the naff cases. Cex will give me a crazy amount for Keio's
Its one thats on my list of games id like to own, but bollcoks to paying that for it

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:40 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 am
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 pm
Its one thats on my list of games id like to own, but bollcoks to paying that for it
It's a really nice platform game and still looks lovely being a 2d game.. I paid £40 for it of somebody on here years ago crazy how much Saturn games cost. Always wanted that Underwater Survival Horror game but being the last pal Saturn release out of my price range:(
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:03 pm

A few weeks after it came out I saw a place selling it for £15

They also had Dragon force for the same price, if I had the cash back then id of gotten it, instead it was Dragonforce
In my eyes this was win win

Can play it via "other" means anyway