What are you currently playing?

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ZXSabreman

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:07 pm

As it's currently £29.99 in the sale I finally got myself a copy of Horizon Zero Dawn for my PS4 Pro, all I can say is wow it's stunning. I am not that far into it but it's just blowing me away how good it looks and plays, the story is also fantastic.
"Time fades even legend..."

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 am

Putting more effort into Eliza in Tekken 7, really enjoying her juggle combos. I'm jumping between her and Lucky Chloe until I get better and then back to Alisa.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:34 am

I'm playing Anima PS4 it's a Devil May Cry game from a budget company, and while its deficiencies are readily apparent, I feel it's a charming game except the second playable character the demon she had trapped in the book - worse then Charmy Bee his voice actor is game ruining). The nameless heroine the 'bearer of calamities' is the powerhouse character , she does decent damage has a running punch that she homes in on the Puppets etc and a dodge roll. The book demon is a faster weaker character with no dodge or lock on moves move just a dash.

Book demon Looks like a male vampire from Twilight, and talks in a mumbling drug induced haze. He says things like "Hey Baby", Wayhay back of the net" ". Looks it's supposed to be a century's old demon - that wants to kill everybody on the planet, eats babies and owns a Wii U and actually enjoys it so obviously somebody that evil just has to be destroyed. Not a singing demon that sings about putting his boot up monsters backsides. I just can't suspend belief that a supposed god would talk like some football supporter.

I've had this game ages on returning I'm really like it. As most of the Mansion is available to you from start, the difficult fights can be left to when your more powered up.
Last edited by Shinobi on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Even though I've still got plenty of games to work through, I found myself once again returning to Mega Man 1-6. Ended up playing the Mega Man Legacy Collection challenge mode again and completed the challenge for beating all bosses with only your default buster. Took me 35 minutes but I wasn't happy with my performance against several of the bosses so I've begun trying to perfect each one of them.

Not doing too bad so far, I can beat all the Mega Man bosses without taking any damage, so I'm not working on the MM2 bosses which are probably the hardest of the bunch to do since they are some of the toughest bosses in terms of patterns (Air Man, Quick Man and Wood Man especially). MM3 wise I should be able to do pretty much all the bosses fine bar Needle and Shadow Man and from there things actually get easier!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:53 pm

mostly hollywood sqaures, wheel of fortune, halo and wwe 2k16
This guy are sick

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:08 pm

The Witcher 2 - Better graphics are a given but it feels much tighter too which is nice. Very early into it but so far I'm loving it!

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Ultimate Doom. Going for a run on Ultra Violence and without any use of maps and disabled HUD. It still plays wonderfully, a testament of gameplay, immersion and game design mastery and is also the game that changed the perspective that PC gaming is just about more complex games like strategies, simulators, adventures and role-playing games but can also be great for action/arcade games (although Tetris, Prince of Persia and Wolfenstein 3D also helped change that perception). Although now that I'm older and wiser I can also detect some not-so-good level design and padding, but for the time, there simply was nothing comparable out there and it's also quite ironic that that sort of level design (maze-like) wasn't even attempted in all this time - modern shooter design is a lot more primitive and simplistic, like it were made to console the player rather than provide him a challenge.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:28 am

New Micro Machines. It feels a bit off. I'm enjoying the battle stuff more than the racing.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:31 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:41 pm
Ultimate Doom. Going for a run on Ultra Violence and without any use of maps and disabled HUD. It still plays wonderfully, a testament of gameplay, immersion and game design mastery and is also the game that changed the perspective that PC gaming is just about more complex games like strategies, simulators, adventures and role-playing games but can also be great for action/arcade games (although Tetris, Prince of Persia and Wolfenstein 3D also helped change that perception). Although now that I'm older and wiser I can also detect some not-so-good level design and padding, but for the time, there simply was nothing comparable out there and it's also quite ironic that that sort of level design (maze-like) wasn't even attempted in all this time - modern shooter design is a lot more primitive and simplistic, like it were made to console the player rather than provide him a challenge.
For me the sweet spot for level design was the late 90s - early 2000s. Complex enough to be interesting but also the levels made sense in a believable way i.e. a factory looked like it was a factory. Have to say I did enjoy the tight, scripted level design of CoD4 but that game's success, and the sheer cost of game production nowadays, has a lot to answer for

Which brings me to Dead Space 2. I had planned to do the whole trilogy but god this game is boring! It feels like one long cutscene. I remembered the game being boring corridors with jump scares, then open rooms which were obviously arenas for an ambush and that's basically what it is.

I fear I may have to sack it off in favour of the Metroid Prime trilogy.
I fancy playing the Bioshock trilogy, too.
Wii (modded) - Playstation 3 - Xbox One - PC

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:31 am

For me the sweet spot for level design was the late 90s - early 2000s. Complex enough to be interesting but also the levels made sense in a believable way i.e. a factory looked like it was a factory. Have to say I did enjoy the tight, scripted level design of CoD4 but that game's success, and the sheer cost of game production nowadays, has a lot to answer for
Recently revisited CoD 2 and I have to say I consider it a boring game now. I'd much rather play something more tactically stimulating like Hidden & Dangerous 2. I did enjoy CoD 1 in it's day though, even though it was short, linear and scripted and there was no real incentive to re-play it after it was completed. I believe they have been using this same formula for all this time, just with some changes in the settings and "gimmicks"
(and a greater focus on a console audience - it's very easy to see for us long time PC shooter players that the newer games are aimed at gamepad players). Otherwise I agree that in the late 90s to early 2000s we got a plethora of great PC (and console - GoldenEye and Halo were both nice) shooters.

p.s.: Check out System Shock 2 if you haven't yet. It's like a more in-depth BioShock and I believe you would like it if you're looking for a sci-fi RPG with first-person shooter mechanics.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:06 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:53 pm
Even though I've still got plenty of games to work through, I found myself once again returning to Mega Man 1-6. Ended up playing the Mega Man Legacy Collection challenge mode again and completed the challenge for beating all bosses with only your default buster. Took me 35 minutes but I wasn't happy with my performance against several of the bosses so I've begun trying to perfect each one of them.

Not doing too bad so far, I can beat all the Mega Man bosses without taking any damage, so I'm not working on the MM2 bosses which are probably the hardest of the bunch to do since they are some of the toughest bosses in terms of patterns (Air Man, Quick Man and Wood Man especially). MM3 wise I should be able to do pretty much all the bosses fine bar Needle and Shadow Man and from there things actually get easier!
Nothing wrong with being in your comfort zone dude (I bet comfort zone is a bloody level with all the mega man's out there ;) )
I have started the new Prey, seems promising and not just your standard shooter. Love the 'gloo' gun!

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:05 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:31 am

Recently revisited CoD 2 and I have to say I consider it a boring game now. I'd much rather play something more tactically stimulating like Hidden & Dangerous 2. I did enjoy CoD 1 in it's day though, even though it was short, linear and scripted and there was no real incentive to re-play it after it was completed. I believe they have been using this same formula for all this time, just with some changes in the settings and "gimmicks"
(and a greater focus on a console audience - it's very easy to see for us long time PC shooter players that the newer games are aimed at gamepad players). Otherwise I agree that in the late 90s to early 2000s we got a plethora of great PC (and console - GoldenEye and Halo were both nice) shooters.

p.s.: Check out System Shock 2 if you haven't yet. It's like a more in-depth BioShock and I believe you would like it if you're looking for a sci-fi RPG with first-person shooter mechanics.
I had System Shock 2 and Thief 2 when they were brand new. Initially, I couldn't get on with Shock because I couldn't use a joystick lol!
As it happens I'm, playing through the Bioshock trilogy on XBone.
Wii (modded) - Playstation 3 - Xbox One - PC

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:06 pm

sscott wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:06 pm
ShadowMan wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Nothing wrong with being in your comfort zone dude (I bet comfort zone is a bloody level with all the mega man's out there ;) )
I have started the new Prey, seems promising and not just your standard shooter. Love the 'gloo' gun!
Yeah :D Well as it turns out my comfort zone is pretty much the challenge mode in the MM Legacy Collection since it splices together the levels/bosses of the first 6 games and that's been very fun to replay this week. I've moved onto the Crash Bandicoot remakes on the PS4 now though so those'll keep me occupied for quite a while. I'm really enjoying Crash 1 at the moment, I never finished it back in the day so I absolutely have to finish it this time!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:54 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 pm

One thing I hated about it

The bloody Spiders, hard to hit and almost always will poison
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Just had play on Two Crude Dudes and QuackShot! :D
Press Play On Tape