Crazy price of Gameboy games

Buy, trade, and sell retro games!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

uchet

Crazy price of Gameboy games

Post by uchet » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:27 am

I dug out my original gameboy (boxed) yesterday and discovered it had vertical lines problem. Looked up the solution and thought: "can't be bothered to mess about like that - I'd wreck it", so I started looking at selling my gameboy collection.

As I was going through sold prices on ebay I was surprised at how how some of them go for.

Top by a long way was Parodius (Gameboy) - boxed mint condition (as mine is), which went for £250 - that's just nuts!

Still think I'll sell my games though - not much point keeping them without a fully working gameboy to play them on, and the money would help.

Makes me wonder about all those boxed games I've got for other systems now.

oldtimer

Re: Crazy price of Gameboy games

Post by oldtimer » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:44 am

Seems to be the way for most boxed retrogames nowadays.
When gamestation were selling retrogames i bought up most of the Panasonic 3D0 Stuff for almost pennies along with lots of other games from old systems as i had a feeling the prices would rocket ,and of course they did.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

uchet

Post by uchet » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:59 pm

You did well with the 3DO stuff. I do remember all the bargains years ago but had no concept that it'd go the way it has.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:52 pm

Ive got a shoebox full of the original Gameboys all in different colours i bought off ebay some years ago for about £15.
There must be at least 10 or 15 in there.
Not sure if they all work however as ive only tried one or two then stuck em in a cupboard and forgot about them.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm

yep same as all retro games these days and like others remember picking up games such as mega cd mega cheap from gamestation. it's all bonkers, but supply and demand i guess
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

uchet

Post by uchet » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Just picturing it in years to come - all the modern games that just exist online, access to purchases, servers etc. eventually being switched off ... and loads of current gamers having no way to revisit the games they used to play, unlike us crusties who have physical copies, or at least emulation.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:59 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm
yep same as all retro games these days and like others remember picking up games such as mega cd mega cheap from gamestation. it's all bonkers, but supply and demand i guess
Yep i did the Mega Cd stuff from Gamestation , they did the bogof deal too, i must have bought 20 or 30 megacd games from Gamestation , still got em too , i very rarely get rid or trade.

Downloaded games existed way back in the Saturn and Superfamicom days , ive got the Satellaview system add on for the Superfamicom which used ot be available to Japanese gamers via the St.Giga satellite.
If you have a download on memory cart for the Satellaview they go for a few hundred pound nowadays.