Bomb Jack - Best Conversion

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

r0jaws

Re: Bomb Jack - Best Conversion

Post by r0jaws » Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 pm

I am totally biased against this conversion of the game on the c64. :wink:
Is that the bit where I said that the Arcade version is the best apart from the music?
Nice one, that made me laugh out loud! It sounds like you have to begrudgingly admit that the original arcade is better than the c64 version. :lol:

But then, this is all opinion, and none of this is based on fact. You plainly love the c64 version, I think it is a bit rubbish frankly, and prefer other conversions. No worries, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about it. I like the fact that the C64 version has music, makes it funky. Prefer the original tune though.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 22, 2012 11:23 pm

r0jaws wrote:I am totally biased against this conversion of the game on the c64. :wink:
Is that the bit where I said that the Arcade version is the best apart from the music?
Nice one, that made me laugh out loud! It sounds like you have to begrudgingly admit that the original arcade is better than the c64 version. :lol:

Eh? Where did you get that from? He said the arcade version is the best - but the music is better on the C64..... Not a hint of begrudgingly admitting something there! :?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue May 22, 2012 11:49 pm

Just the way it came across to me when I read it.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed May 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Sorry Nec and Polo - disagree with you. Although I haven't played the CPC, I have both C64 and Speccy.

Back in the day, a good mate of mine owned a C64. He thought it was a gift from God, able to trounce all-comers from all other systems at everything in every way every time. That is, until he played BJ. Granted, the Speccy is sprite-graphically inferior (to the original. But, then again, so is the C64!) and lacks sound; but gameplay is excellent. The first level alone was sufficient for my mate to prefer the Speccy despite these shortcoming; so much so that he never played the C64 again.

The C64 has clearly not been playtested - it's gameplay is buGgered. Enemies drop onto the top-left platform, as they should. BJ should be able to fly over and above these enemies - in the original he can, and in the Speccy he can; but he CAN'T on the C64. Why? Fat sprites. So fat, in fact, that their size horribly hinders gameplay at all times ruining any fun it may have had. Gameplay is therefore buGgered. And fat sprites are graphically worse than the mono-but-accurate sprites of the Speccy.

So: C64 is for fanboys. :wink: Speccy (and perhaps CPC) is for everyone one who enjoys the more authentic look and proper gameplay. Of the three main systems, CPC and Speccy are not that dissimilar, with the C64 lagging way, way, way behind. Had it been play-tested and corrected... who knows.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 23, 2012 4:12 pm

But...... I've already said the Amstrad had the best version! Would have been much better with the c64 music though!!
What matters here really is what we each personally think - and no one on this planet can convince me that the 64 version was as bad as others make out. Speccy version was excellent - just hard to follow.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed May 23, 2012 7:25 pm

As a C64 fan it pains me to say Amstrad. It's colourful, plays well, and Jack doesn't look like he's been raised on kebabs.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Thu May 24, 2012 9:14 am

The Last Ginja wrote:As a C64 fan it pains me to say Amstrad. It's colourful, plays well, and Jack doesn't look like he's been raised on kebabs.
As an Amstradfan, I must say that the graphics for bomb Jack on the Amstrad CPC doesn't impress much, blocky and awful shading. The Amstrad CPC can do much better
But the gameplay is excellent and soundeffects decent

TwistedScrote

Post by TwistedScrote » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:38 pm

For me it's the Spectrum version of BombJack that wins hands down, not just from the playability angle (in which it excels) but for me it holds some lovely memories of my sadly deceased brother. We used to spend hours battling on my Spectrum + setting new highscores for the other to beat alongside our mates. More than once since he died I've booted it up and spent awhile playing and remembering my bro.

This and Commando were the standout memories I have of those times and yes bro, I WAS THE BEST!