Bomb Jack - Best Conversion

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

r0jaws

Re: Bomb Jack - Best Conversion

Post by r0jaws » Tue May 08, 2012 5:50 pm

SirClive wrote:You know I will admit that I do get dewy eyed over some spectrum games and then go back to them and realise I have been more than a little rose-tinted. But I play Bomb Jack often enough to know it isn't the case here (or with Commando). It is just a delight to play and makes me glad I chose the Speccy all those years ago.
I think you're stretching the "rose-tinted" analogy just a touch if you can put the games side by side and still say that the Spectrum version is better. :lol:
But, I know where you are coming from. I loved the fact that my Spectrum conversion absolutely owned my mate's C64. It just made it that more special at the time. :wink:

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:02 am

I played both the Amstrad and Spectrum conversions over the weekend, via emulation. I was a c64 owner back then and loved the music on that verison.

However, playing the Amstrad then Spectrum version so soon after each other, i cannot see how anyone can say the Amstrad version is better. Yes, it looks great, very colourful... but.... its too easy... I got to the 5th stage on my first game... and I'm not good at it. There is little challenge. The Spectrum version looks good AND is challenging.

So Spectrum for me.. God that hurts saying that as a c64 owner
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 am

I tried to play those three versions over the weekend, but problems with Amstrad emulators being rubbish caused a problem. I had one go each on the C64 and Spectrum, and I'll try again on the Amstrad tonight, if I can get anything to work.

Which emulator did you use? I can't get Caprice to show any settings, and WinApe didn't work with the joystick, though I might have that sorted if I re-install it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:27 pm

necronom wrote:I tried to play those three versions over the weekend, but problems with Amstrad emulators being rubbish caused a problem. I had one go each on the C64 and Spectrum, and I'll try again on the Amstrad tonight, if I can get anything to work.

Which emulator did you use? I can't get Caprice to show any settings, and WinApe didn't work with the joystick, though I might have that sorted if I re-install it.
Sorry - should have explained that! Amstrad Em was via the PSP and the Spectrum on the DS (which works really, really well I have to say)
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon May 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Far too late to be of any use to Darran, I'm sure, but here it is anyway.

No-one else will agree with this, even though to me it's obvious. :?

I played each version once. I have played them all before, but mainly the C64 version.

C64

I got to the 8th round, then died.
Good colourful graphics
Average sound effects, but great music
Fun to play

Spectrum

I got to the 24th round, then died.

Basic graphics, mainly monochrome which makes it confusing and difficult to see enemies and bombs. I collected a "P" once without knowing it and another time I was wondering why I couldn't walk left - it turned out there was a wall there that I could hardly see because everything was the same colour. Also the graphics flicker (though I don't have it on tape to try on my Spectrum, so it could be the emulator).
It doesn't tell you which level you are on, which makes it difficult to know how you are doing against previous goes.
Game runs a bit slower than the other versions.
Bad sound.
No music.
Generally fun to play, but is quite easy, and since it goes on so long, I don't think I could be bothered playing all that again too many times with those graphics, and that sound.

CPC

I got to the 24th round, then died.

Nice colourful graphics.
Average sound.
No music.
Fun to play, though too easy. Since it's a nicer experience I could play it again plenty of times even though a game lasts quite long.
No idea which level you are on, so had to keep count, like the Spectrum version.

So, for me:
1st - C64
2nd - CPC
3rd - Spectrum

This is the third time I've done a comparison with these three versions of Bomb Jack (with years apart), and I always get the same very clear results. I can imagine a CPC owner who got used to that version picking it over the C64, but I really have a hard time understanding why a lot of people pick the spectrum version, when there are so many obvious problems with it.

There.

Done.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

bsg

Post by bsg » Mon May 21, 2012 6:57 pm

The Spectrum version by _far_ is the most playable and _accurate_ version released, not counting the mkodern remakes... It's fast, tricky and tough... but enough talk of my peni.... nah, i'm not that cheap... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon May 21, 2012 7:52 pm

C64-users, how do you play the game on the C64? Do you go for 50 000 bonus? Do you play the game the same way when you play on the Amstrad CPC or ZX Spectrum?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon May 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Necro - thats a great little 8-bit comparison there mate.

The C64 version is a great game (let down by the chunky graphics - slightly) but when I played each one, I found the CPC version to be the marginally better game (if only it had the C64 music!).

We need the 8-bit comparison thread to burst back into life........

Hmmmmmmmm :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks, MPM :D I think there are only a few of us that like the C64 version, which I find bewildering.

If the CPC version had the C64's music it would be very close. Just a shame it doesn't have the level number and isn't a bit harder. I should have got further on my go, but I lost a very stupid life on level 2.

ivarf:
I'm not really sure what you mean. I just play them all the same. I wasn't aware of any 50,000 bonuses, I just collected the bombs (sometimes in order if it was easy), and the other bonus circles that bounce around.

It's been a while since I played the Arcade version, but if I remember correctly, I prefer that one the most apart from the music. I like Lady Madonna the song, but in the game I don't like it. I MUCH prefer Jarre's tune from the C64.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon May 21, 2012 10:47 pm

When you start saying you prefer the c64 version to the original arcade in anyway, it kinda blows your objectivity completely out of the water. :lol:

Personally, I don't agree with your conclusions, especially about the good colourful graphics and "fun to play". But I won't convince you otherwise, so I'm not going to try. However, the c64 version is by far and away the worst conversion (apart from the c16 of course). The music is pretty good, but that's it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon May 21, 2012 11:34 pm

I think the main issue here is again - the system you grew up with. Me being a C64 guy - remembers playing Bombjack on the day of release and absolutely loving it. I didn't know any Amstrad owners at the time and my best mate had a speccy (but never owned Bombjack). So C64 was the only version played. Yes the graphics were blocky - but the gameplay was pretty solid and the music added enough to make it great.
Now, having played all versions - as I said on the 1st page, the Amstrad had, in my opinion, the best 8-bit version. It is a Great game. If it had the C64 music - it would have been a brilliant game.

Go back to the C64 version. Set the colour palette to the correct levels (see necro (I think) for that), turn the vol up and have a damn good few goes. Look beyond the chunkyness and concentrate on the fact that it is a damn fine game of BombJack. :mrgreen: (imho) :wink:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Tue May 22, 2012 5:37 am

necronom wrote:ivarf:
I'm not really sure what you mean. I just play them all the same. I wasn't aware of any 50,000 bonuses, I just collected the bombs (sometimes in order if it was easy), and the other bonus circles that bounce around.
For me and probably most people that have played Bomb Jack a lot, the main point of the game is to collect all the bombs in order for every level if humanily possible. For that you get 50 000 bonus for each completed level, if you misses one bomb you get 30 000. If you had done that on the Amstradversion and still found it very easy I would be surprised

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue May 22, 2012 9:49 am

r0jaws wrote:When you start saying you prefer the c64 version to the original arcade in anyway, it kinda blows your objectivity completely out of the water. :lol:
No it doesn't. Saying I like the music on the C64 version better than the music on the arcade version doesn't do anything of the sort.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue May 22, 2012 6:36 pm

When combined with the rest of your findings, I'm afraid it very much does. Your bias is completely commodore, if even this horrible conversion can't persuade you to admit that other formats are just better with this particular game. :wink:

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue May 22, 2012 8:32 pm

r0jaws wrote:Your bias is completely commodore
Is that the bit where I said that the Arcade version is the best apart from the music?

Okay...

And where I said that if the CPC had the C64's music it would be very close, and hinted that if it had the level No. and was a bit harder it might even be my favourite?

:roll:

I'm sorry, but preferring one tune to another does not make everything else I said irrelevant.

You are obviously totally biased against the C64, so I suppose that makes everything you say lack objectivity. If you can't accept me liking one part of the C64 game over another version I think that speaks for itself.