Bomb Jack - Best Conversion

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Bomb Jack - Best Conversion

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am

It looks really nice graphically, but also a little big, as if getting around the screen could be a little difficult. If only I could get an emualtor to work :(

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri May 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It looks really nice graphically, but also a little big, as if getting around the screen could be a little difficult. If only I could get an emualtor to work :(
Works great on Atari 800 WIN, which is what I use.

I grew up with the Spectrum version and loved it and before I played the A8 version I would have easily voted that. But this homebrew conversion really is a different class to the other 8-bit ones.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:For anyone who hasn't seen the awesome Atari 8-bit version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdiO0MrjOAY
It looks ok. I cant tell if it plays any good as the uploader doesn't know how to play the game. Whats the point of playing Bomb Jack if you doesn't pick the bombs in the right order and go for the 50 000 bonus for each level? First impression of the Atari 8-bit version is that the sprites are to big like on the C64 which makes it too difficult to get the bombs in sequence.

I had a look at youtube-videoes for the Atari ST, MSX2, Amstrad CPC, C64 and ZX Spectrum versions. I know its not the same as playing it for yourself, but it gives some info. From it I have a feeling that the Atari ST-version is to slow. The MSX2 version seems to have all the joy, feel and speed that I remember from the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC versions, but the MSX2-version easily looks and sounds better than the other 8-bit versions.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri May 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Spectrum all the way. Brilliant conversion. Far, far superior to the anal version that appeared on the supposedly superior machine that is C64.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat May 05, 2012 12:00 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:..... But this homebrew conversion really is a different class to the other 8-bit ones.
Cough Cough.....MSX2... Cough :wink:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat May 05, 2012 7:52 am

I've only played the marvellous Speccy version but the MSX2 game looks & sounds a cut above that! :shock:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat May 05, 2012 9:26 am

I recommend BlueMSX as an emulator, and you can download the free Bombjack Promo from HERE if you fancy a go.
I'm lucky, I have 2 MSX2's so can play it on the real thing. :wink:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat May 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Nemesis wrote:I've only played the marvellous Speccy version but the MSX2 game looks & sounds a cut above that! :shock:
Ditto. I'm tempted to give the MSX2 version a go via an emulator (thanks for the link, r0jaws :D ) to see if it plays as magnificently as the sublime Speccy conversion. Then again, I've always thought the Speccy conversion plays better than even the arcade coin-op original!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon May 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Wow! :shock:

I never knew about that MSX2 version, I stand corrected!!! 8)

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon May 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Firstly, let me say I love Bombjack.
Loved the Spectrum version. Love the arcade version.
I'll never be the best at it, but I'm top 10 on Twin Galaxies.

These are my Bombjack credentials.

Now for those who have stated that the Amstrad had the best version.
WAKE UP!

I only played it, for the first time, at the weekend after reading how good it was.

It's a monstrosity. Graphics, play mechanics - crap.
:roll:

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon May 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Speccy vote for me...also the best converted surely means at the time, not homebrew games that has been made lovingly recreated over the last 20 years!? ;-)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Obviously the Speccy version kicks ass. Though a close second is the awesome MSX version.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Tue May 08, 2012 9:25 am

SirClive wrote:Obviously the Speccy version kicks ass. Though a close second is the awesome MSX version.
Somehow I have a feeling the Spectrum wayback retroglasses is too powerful

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue May 08, 2012 12:42 pm

You know I will admit that I do get dewy eyed over some spectrum games and then go back to them and realise I have been more than a little rose-tinted. But I play Bomb Jack often enough to know it isn't the case here (or with Commando). It is just a delight to play and makes me glad I chose the Speccy all those years ago.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue May 08, 2012 5:47 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Speccy vote for me...also the best converted surely means at the time, not homebrew games that has been made lovingly recreated over the last 20 years!? ;-)
I don't know, you could argue that it is a commercial release of the arcade game for the MSX2, and there was no original conversion of it for the MSX "back in the day" so it's not a remake.
However, I'm not going to lose any sleep, or get in a bun fight over it either. :wink: