Super Castlevania - Best 2D Castlevania

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Super Castlevania - Best 2D Castlevania

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 pm

There obviously isn't a conversions section as this was a SNES eclusive.
Instead what's your favourite 2D Castlevania and why?

o.pwuaioc

Re: Super Castlevania - Best 2D Castlevania

Post by o.pwuaioc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Super Castlevania IV: best controls, visually awesome, the music was top notch (esp. Simon's Theme, imo), wasn't too hard but definitely kept you going. I'll admit I never played the PC version Rondo of Blood nor anything played after the N64 versions.

stejay215

Post by stejay215 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Castlevania Rondo Of Blood. I love Super Castlevania IV but Rondo of Blood I think is just the better game. Better graphics, music, enemies and weapons. Plus great gameplay. It's a close call but after playing Rondo of Blood on the Wii Virtual Console it wins hands down.

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:39 pm

There were a couple of things I really enjoyed about Super Castlevania that really put it heads above. Simplistic whip control, great multi-route linear design, and being able to jump on the stairs. While jumping on the stairs might not sound like a big deal, play Super Castlevania for awhile and go back to the original; you'll notice it. It's just one of the many little details that make Super Castlevania stand a head above the rest.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 am

That's tough. Super Castlevania IV is probably the best game of the series, but I also really enjoy Simon's Quest, in addition to Shanoa's adventure. I'm going to stick with Super Castlevania IV. This is a must play for any gamer, and really defines the entire series, musically, graphically, and gameplay wise.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Castlevania IV is my favourite 2D entry in the series by far, followed by Symphony of the Night.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:38 am

My favourites:

Portrait of Ruin - the best of the Nintendo handheld versions for me. Switching characters, the gimmicky "Sisters Mode"; it's just a great game.

Super Castlevania IV - enough said about this, I think

Symphony of the Night - the only Castlevania I've played through at least five times; I imported the OST and it just oozes quality

Rondo of Blood - classic old-school gameplay, Maria was a fun character to play as. Hurrah for Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles too!

F-zero

Post by F-zero » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Here's my top 4, these are the only games from the series i've completed so i wouldn't call it a definitive list.
I would say though that they're all great games.
CV3 is next on my "to play" list.

1.SOTN
2.CV4
3.CV R.O.B
4.CV1

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Rondo of Blood without a shadow of a doubt. I paid a lot of money last year for a PCE Duo + a copy of this game, and it was worth every penny. Or at least I thought it was right until 6 months later when it was on the virtual console!

The SNES 'version' is also a decent game in its own right too, I would say better than Super Castlevania IV even IMO.

Not really a fan of the metroidvania games. SOTN isn't bad, but doesn't excite me like the old style games do.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:59 pm

they were all too hard. I died lots. Which is a shame as I really wanted to love them all.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:20 pm

It may well be the first NES game. It was the spark for the series, and since Simon's moves were relatively simplistic, the focus revolved more around the great level design. I was fortunate enough to hold its world record completion time of 13:13 on Speed Demos Archive for nearly five years, and can attest to its additional appeal of being a game that can be finished quickly.

(Documentation of my claims if needed)
http://www.gamespot.com/users/Stickyfgz ... jT_5bsPvzE
http://www.spike.com/video/castlevania-speed/2894791

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Castlevania on the NES, granted you look like you're playing a barely clothed Dave Mustaine but it's tight, slick and challenging (the game, not naked Megadeth guy).

Symphony and Super IV sort of tie next i think, odd considering how totally different they are, then Rondo. I haven't played many of the modern 'vanias, must get 'round to it, especially the DS stuff. Aria of Sorrow is laying around here somewhere, so are the GBA roms...

MeX

PS - can we have special mention of Kid Dracula? he was cute, amusing and enthuriating all at once, bloody skidding after you're hit!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 pm

Dawn of Sorrow - I got right to the climax of that game before realising I'd sold the one object needed to finish the game "properly", so had to start all over again. Didn't mind one bit though, surely that's a sign of a good game?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.