Super Castlevania - First Impressions

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Super Castlevania - First Impressions

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:53 pm

What did you initilly think?

thevulture

Re: Super Castlevania - First Impressions

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Came to the Snes late, picked 1 up cheap years after owning a MD.Super Castlevania was 1 of the inital games i bought after hearing great things.Back then? i was`nt that impressed.Some very nice Snes music, hardware tricks etc, but gameplay mechanics seemed a little standard fare, Boss fights, i dunno, just lacked a certain sense of involement, just whip the mutha till it drops.So did`nt really spend an awful lot of time on it.Having said that? Have it oin Snes emulator on Xbox-Time to give it a 2nd 'Crack of the whip' :wink:

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:42 pm

I thought the intro was actually very creepy for a video game, and can generally say this was the first video game to ever give me chills. That intro music when they show the grave and dracula busts out, with the fog rolling in. Even the title screen, dead silent except for the glass breaking noise, then a howl from a wolf when you select your option. I adore this game! :D

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:16 pm

I'd played the original Castlevania quite a bit, as it was one of the few games I had for the NES before it got sold. So my only hope when buying C4 was that either it would be a little easier, or my gaming skills had improved with age. Probably a combination of both overall... from the first level and that music, I was hooked...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:46 pm

I had only previously played Haunted Castle in a Porthcawl arcade and getting killed by the Medusa boss which I found scary.. Played it on my friends Snes, thought it was really slow and easy (got to the Mode 7 Chandlers on my first attempt) disappointed it didn't play like the arcade version.. Now owning the PS2 Haunted Castle I realise how horrible that game is and the Snes Castlevania is infinity better
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Until now I'd not played a Castlevania game due to growing up as SEGA fanboy (then new shinys distracted me from going back!) and my only real knowledge was a tongue in cheek but negative review of "Simon's Quest" so was a good excuse to finally try one. Straight away was impressed by the music, struggled through the first stage and saw the skeleton horseman boss and determined to play further.

stejay215

Post by stejay215 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:34 pm

I didn't play it on the SNES so only played it on the Wii Virtual Console along with all the rest of the Castlevania games and after playing Castlevania 1 and 3, I was in high spirit. And it payed off because I love it. I loved the music, the graphics, the gameplay, replay value. Even after playing the game once I knew I would play it again. It was on the SNES after all

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:45 am

I loved the intro...really set the tone for the game! And the music was groovy! On starting up, I thought the graphics looked a bit messy in places, but after getting a bit further into the game they got better. As for gameplay, I found it quite tough to begin with, especially the rotating platforms, but that just made me persevere with it even more...
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:36 pm

I was blown away by the style, music and graphics when I first played it on my mate's brand new SNES. As I've mentioned though, that was many years, and Castlevania games, ago.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:30 pm

Everything about Super Castlevania is flawless! It set the bar really high for series and hasn't quite been surpassed yet.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:37 pm

The first time I played Super Castlevania I didn't like it. I was well into Super Ghouls n Ghosts,and had swapped that game for Castlevania for a 'shotty' with a guy in my school class for the duration of the Easter holidays.

I put on the game and the movement of the character felt wooden compared to GnG, the gameplay seemed too simple and I just wasn't into it. I did persevere though, and by the end of that Easter holidays I loved it. Yes it was an easy game, but I recall playing through it again as I enjoyed it so much.

Nowadays it's one of my top ten Snes titles.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:14 pm

I absolutely loved it from the moment I stuck the cart in. The music, the Mode 7 effects and the gameplay, though somewhat clunky, were superb for the time. It was a great showcase for what the SNES was capable of.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Elation probably sums it up best. Elation at how much atmosphere was simply dripping from the game. Elation at how my new Super Nintendo could display this kind of audio and visual quality. And elation at the thought that this was only the beginning of both a very good game and the lifespan of a very good console.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:29 pm

I've literally only just played it ( :oops: ), and it's good. But, I have been spoiled by Symphony of the Night too much, but i've a feeling that this'll grow on me. The intro is great as well, and it does ooze atmosphere as well.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

F-zero

Post by F-zero » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:30 pm

My introduction to Castlevania 4 was as follows.

I heard my local import shop had some new games in so i decided to go take a look.
I got out of work early (about mid day), bought Contra 3 and headed home, wow, Contra 3 was incredible.
My friend called over and after playing 2 player (for about 2 hours) agreed that it was a great game.
He asked me what other new games had arrived and i mentioned CV4 so he said he might pick it up as he'd enjoyed the previous games.
I knew nothing about Castlevania so i said sure but in my mind i was thinking there was no way it could be better than Contra.
So he left and then about 4 hours later (around 9pm) he phoned me.
I think he said something along the lines of "you have to see this game, im coming over"
So he arrives and gives me a play through of the first 3-4 levels and i'm floored, what a game.

That day has stuck with me as one of fondest gaming memories, to play 2 new franchise's (new to me) of that caliber in the same day was simply amazing.
I eventually got a lend of the game and later bought it myself, sold it a few years later and then bought a mint version from ebay when i started my snes collection.(which i still own)
I'm not sure how many times i've played through CV4 but i'm sure its 20+ and i still think it holds up as one of greatest games of all time.

Good times :)