Super Castlevania - Why It's a Classic

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Super Castlevania - Why It's a Classic

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Why do you love it?

Miketendo

Re: Super Castlevania - Why It's a Classic

Post by Miketendo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Though the game is essentially a retold tale of the first game, Super Castlevania IV is one of the few video games that, to me, always felt like a work of art. I'm a huge fan of the Castlevania series. I received this game for my 11th birthday and I fell in love with it. The whip has never been better in any Castlevania game. The music has never been more elegant and exciting, and the challenge was fair and not cheap like the previous games. This game made me a Castlevania fan for life.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:30 pm

The game was to the original Castlevania as REmake was to the original Resident Evil... an improvement in every respect, and especially making it a little easier for people heh...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:16 pm

16 bit platform games don't come much better than this. The graphics and music combine in a beautiful and artistic fashion. To play it is to love it.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

stejay215

Post by stejay215 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Because it's on the SNES, it's got great graphics, replay value, difficulty, controls, gameplay and music. It's everything a game should have and more. Nothing is wrong with this game and its one of the greatest games ever made, let alone one of the greatest SNES and Castlevania games made.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:42 am

Gotta love the powerups you get by jumping off the small cliff to the invisible stairs and getting the cross, whip upgrades, triple shot, and full health. Konami just hands you Dracula's heart on a silver platter with that cheat. Thanks Nintendo Power! :)

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:49 am

Being a big fan of horror, it was the atmosphere that did it for me...the music, the grave and bats in the intro, the howls on the start screen, etc.

Of course, it's also just a damn good platformer ! :D
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:35 pm

The fact that it's essentially the first Castlevania retold, shows that Konami really knew how to reinvent the series for the 16 bit generation. The simple additions of multiple whipping directions and the ability to jump onto stairs always made this game a favorite of the linear Castlevanias.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:34 pm

It is a classic because it is a showcase of the SNES's abilities, the gameplay is much better than the NES original, the graphics and music are enchanting and it plays very well, which is the most important thing.

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:42 am

I have been thinking about the question of why I love Castlevania so much, and I have came to the conclusion that it isn't just one or two elements but the whole package.

The atmosphere is amazing, with one onf the greatest soundtracks ever. The graphics perfecty suit the game, and there are plenty of amazing gothic looking levels. There is a sense of isolation in the game, as you make your way on the epic journey and it has a real old horror feel about it.

The playability is top notch and I never get bored of going through the game, no matter how many times I play it. I feel that none of the games that followed it ever had the same feel, and although I enjoy the 'Metroidvania' style games, I prefer the more traditional games overall.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:27 pm

It's a classic simply because it's a great game to play.

Nearly 20 years later and you still cannot fail to be impressed by the game play, enemies/bosses, music, weapons, levels, graphics, Mode7. For me there isn't one simple thing that you can put your finger on and say 'yes, that's why it's a classic'. It's just everything that blends perfectly together to make it a classic game.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!