Axelay - Best moment

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Axelay - Best moment

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:38 am

WHat's your most memorable moment about Axelay?

nakamura

Re: Axelay - Best moment

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:34 am

Well it is a short game so would be easy to say all, and right in fact. To pick one moment however is more trick but would have to give it to the entrance to the final boss' lair. It is all dark, there is a small walker with a beam of light shining on you firing off the odd bullet. The music builds beautifully along with the tension of being in a very tight cave. It feels like you are going to die, and if you aren't fast, you will.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

tssk

Post by tssk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Thinking you've beaten the last boss and sitting back to enjoy the credits only to realise the fight has only just begun.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:54 pm

lots of standout moments for me, but the introduction of ed209 is the best. Love the way it powers up and walks backwards and you just have to follow it until it decides to attack. top stuff

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm tempted to say the very start, as you see the Mode 7 effect for the first time, and the brilliant tune starts up, but I'd probably say the introduction of the lava boss - he knows how to make an entrance, the big show-off. Better blast his face off.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

thl

Post by thl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Flying through clouds and passing the rocks in Level 1. Also hovering over the city in Level 3 was something special as it looks illuminating and does create that amazing night scenery.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:00 pm

This ones an easy one, reaching Wayler the fiery mech boss from the lava planet (Stage 5) for the first time, It really blew me away.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:11 pm

For me, it's the start of level 5. Just as you get going, an enormous lava worm comes leaping into the air from the background to try to take you down. It then dives back down and submerges itself, right in the foreground. It left me amazed at the grand sense of scale!
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:03 pm

The lava worms at the start of level 5 are a stand out feature but are totally outclassed by the massive end of the level boss, stunning graphics and effects.
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Denny Haynes wrote:The lava worms at the start of level 5 are a stand out feature but are totally outclassed by the massive end of the level boss, stunning graphics and effects.
Agreed....but there's a thread for bosses :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:21 pm

after playing it again due to this thread i've noticed something that i forgot about, the little bum wiggle that your ship does after beating a boss! :lol:

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:59 pm

theres so many cool bits its hard to pick just one, and i've said this in the other thread....the mid level boss on level six is a work of genius.

for me it encapsulates whats cool about the game, a machine that has extendable legs that it drags itself along with, the legs puncture holes in the corridor walls letting the atmosphere escape into space and threatening to drag axelay into oblivion (at the same time launching lasers at you from its giant pods). that sort of sci fi nerdery, you know, like it could actually happen that way if some alien force ever invented a walking machine stalking a tunnel and you were sent to kill it, i find very appealing. the sound effects really sell it too.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:01 am

I also like the bit on Level 4 where the 'jellyfish' attach themselves to your ship and unless you shake them off their weight actually drags your ship towards the bottom of the screen. Tricky when you're trying to shoot and in an enclosed space. Fabulous attention to detail.

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:59 am

nokgod wrote:I also like the bit on Level 4 where the 'jellyfish' attach themselves to your ship and unless you shake them off their weight actually drags your ship towards the bottom of the screen. Tricky when you're trying to shoot and in an enclosed space. Fabulous attention to detail.
I hate that bit! But I suppose it is quite a cool touch. Have you managed to finish it yet?

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 pm

Dam wrote:
nokgod wrote:I also like the bit on Level 4 where the 'jellyfish' attach themselves to your ship and unless you shake them off their weight actually drags your ship towards the bottom of the screen. Tricky when you're trying to shoot and in an enclosed space. Fabulous attention to detail.
I hate that bit! But I suppose it is quite a cool touch. Have you managed to finish it yet?
No mate :( ...although that's not entirely down to my ineptitude. :wink:
I just haven't had time to play it this week with kid's proms and end of school year stuff going on.