Axelay - Best Boss

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Axelay - Best Boss

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:31 am

Which mayor impresses you the most?

nakamura

Re: Axelay - Best Boss

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:31 am

The lava man. Despite some slowdown he is huge! Introduced with some brilliant drumming, he comes out from the lava. Easy to beat mind, but great to watch.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:21 pm

That's a hard question becuase they are all very different, and I think they are all awesome. Except for the last one because I can't beat it!

tssk

Post by tssk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:16 pm

There's a reason the massive walker boos is always shown in screenshots of this game. He's the standout. The final boss deserves mention for almost catching you off guard when you think it's over.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Never got to the last boss, so I can't comment on that. So, I'm going to go with ED-209's younger brother, the devious little git.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:19 pm

level four boss is the best, he drops off the ceiling into the water, bringing half the cave and some jazzy flute with him. you shot him in the dew stick until he thrusts forward his massive pink knobbly alien weakspot, all the time dodging his babies and purple hot plasma string. awesome.

the final boss is great too, i like the bit where he copies axelay and fires a load of little'uns at you, then you chase him out of his home, shooting him in his deformed alien mush.

the mid level boss on stage six is cool too, i like the way it moves and makes those little vacuum holes in the scenery. clever girl.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:52 pm

lava dude looks the most impressive by far but is also pretty easy. ed 209 is also a cool looking boss. Damn it they are all great!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:03 pm

The ED209 boss, but as noted, most of them are pretty great and have some interesting design.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Lava boss for sheer impressiveness, but last boss for challenge.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Well i'm only up to the level 4 boss, but of the one's i've seen so far i like the 'sorting hat' from Level 3 the best. It almost caught me out when i'd destroyed all the turrets when it was spinning.....only to regenerate with those enormous lasers. It was a :shock: moment for me!

Level 1 spider thing is too easy. I do like the mech walker on Level 2, but once his attacks are noted, they're very easy to avoid.....and at the moment i'm still working out what the hell i'm meant to be doing on the Level 4 blob thing. :lol:

Obviously can't comment on the other two yet :D

EDIT: Lava man is damn good! Just clapped eyes on him for the first time, both me and my son said "WOAH!!" at the same time...... :lol: (swiftly followed by the Game Over screen :( )
Last edited by nokgod on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

thl

Post by thl » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:23 am

If it's something massive, it's got to be the lava man. The entrance caught me as it emerge from nowhere and is likely to be nasty. Brilliant to watch as it build up that excitement.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:35 pm

If I had been asked this question back in the day I would have said Wayler the fiery mech boss from the lava planet (Stage 5) without any hesitation. But now I actually prefer Arachnatron the spider mech boss from Cumuluses (Stage 1).
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 pm

The ED209, shame for copyright reasons it didn't say, "you have 10 seconds to comply".
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:24 pm

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHNNNNNMMMPPPHHH!!!! :twisted:

OK

I concede defeat :(

I cannot beat the Level 6 boss. I can get to the bit where two big rocks rotate, disappear, then reappear and rotate in the opposite direction. I can do that bit, but when the centre bit starts spewing out those yellow ball things that spit out spiralling bullets and stuff......it just gets me every time. There just doesn't seem enough room to manoeuvre.

How? Dammit! HOW??!!!
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 pm

nokgod wrote:ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHNNNNNMMMPPPHHH!!!! :twisted:

OK

I concede defeat :(

I cannot beat the Level 6 boss. I can get to the bit where two big rocks rotate, disappear, then reappear and rotate in the opposite direction. I can do that bit, but when the centre bit starts spewing out those yellow ball things that spit out spiralling bullets and stuff......it just gets me every time. There just doesn't seem enough room to manoeuvre.

How? Dammit! HOW??!!!
my technique is to lurk at the bottom right (EDIT: LEFT!) of the screen untill the homing cubes get near you then fly in a sort of arc to about three quarters up the screen, dodging any stragglers on the way, rinse and repeat. you'll find it easier if you have needle cracker or the 360 gun.
Last edited by HEAVYface on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.