Axelay - It's not for me

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Liamh1982

Re: Axelay - It's not for me

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:38 pm

It's a looker but to be honest I've never been any good at shmups.

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Now I'm bobbins at shooters, but guys, this is certainly not a hard game by any means. Well except for the swine of a last level.

And I'd honestly never noticed the 'screen-centering' until someone on here mentioned it, but I will admit it is a bit odd, especially as it switches on and off for different sections.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:36 pm

To be fair, I only borrowed this back in the day and never really got into it.

The vertical sections weren't much fun (Super Aleste was much better) and the horizontal sections were bettered by R-Type III.

It just wasn't as much fun as the above games, and I had other games to play.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Like most shmups, it just leaves me feeling a little bit cold. It seems like my ears only p rick up when the genre does something a bit of out of left field, like Gun Nac, or Parodius. I remember Thomas Cross (an R-type fiend) raving about this back in school, and I remember pretending to like it, trying to play it, and getting knocked back, over and over again by the various projectiles and fire. I couldn’t get past the first level, and to be honest, I still cant without alot of heartache (that is how bad I am at these kind of games). I'm sure if you're a shmup fan, this flicks your switches. Axelay still looks great, no doubting that, and it has aged really well, the animation moves nicely, and it has a real nice arcade feel. But I'm a real shmup wimp, and it's just too hard for me to be bothered to rage against it.