Axelay - It's not for me

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Axelay - It's not for me

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:30 am

Don't like Axelay? Tell us here.

gman72

Re: Axelay - It's not for me

Post by gman72 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:57 am

Great graphics and sound but too hard to be a classic.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

tssk

Post by tssk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:18 pm

I like it but my gripe would be the overhead sections. Most of the mode 3 looks a little flat nowadays. Oh and shame to the copywriter for the back of the box for the PAL version. "Kiss your Axelay goodbye."

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:31 pm

While I do really enjoy the game, the background on the first level never fails to give me a headache.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:59 pm

I've posted before about my dislike for the game. The side-on sections are great, but the game is sunk by the vertical levels. Why does the ship continually pull towards the centre of the screen? Who decided on that weird 3/4 view that shows off the developer's mastery of Mode 7 but makes judging where everything is needlessly difficult?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:15 am

Its underwhelming. A game hyped by its peers since release (despite mediocre reviews iirc) and its association to all things 'Treasure', eans that it is said to be better than it really is.

Just so let down when booting up to play and getting something meh rather than outstanding
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:14 am

I've always hated the first level so much, I've never seen any horizontal bits. If it's worth persevering, I'll give it a go, but for a game to be so shoddy on the first level, it can't be good, right? As mentioned, rubbish rolling barrel of a background, ridiculous gravity, altogether uninspiring gameplay... Doesn't bode well.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:10 am

I've really tried to like it, but I find it cumbersome to play, and that weird central drift thing is annoying as hell.
I don't even think it looks all that pretty either. The sprites seem blocky and over large (even for a SNES) and the backgrounds are not particularly inspiring either.
I definitely think this is suffering from a case of retro tinted specs. Shame, I love a good schmup.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:42 am

the whole screen centering thing.

i've never felt that my ship was being centered to the screen in axelay, its just the scrolling left and right on the vertical stages and the up and down on the horizontal stages has a falloff. because the playfield is larger than the actual screen size this makes the scrolling smooth. this has been sort of a standard approach over the years - i remember it happening in the second level in gradius. i'm pretty sure games like thunderforce 4 do it too.

layer section 2 (raystorm) actually centres your ship which is really annoying.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:51 am

I really want to like Axelay. I've seen reviews that rave about it, the screenshots look amazing, the opening sequence looks and sounds great... the thing is, I can't get off the first level :( Like all recent shmups, there are too many tiny things floating around a tiny play area that rob you of your weapons, and once you lose the side shooting one, you may as well reset.

I'll stick to Gradius, thanks.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:59 am

I can't stand how dying got me a better weapon. The graphics are alright, music is good enough, but nothing about this game feels unique enough to seperate itself from other shooters other than the abuse of Mode 7.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:39 pm

In my opinion it's an average shooter that got it's reputation mainly through it's tidy presentation and good graphics/music. The controls are far too woolly, it doesn't feel very precise to control. I do like the idea of mixed vert/hori levels and the music in particular (stage 2) is outstanding but beyond that it doesn't have the great gameplay of some of the other SNES Konami games like Cybernator, Parodius or Contra III and as an actual shmup it doesn't compare to what was available at the time on the Mega Drive I don't think.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:13 pm

Very nice looking & sounding game, but a bit too hard for me and to be honest, I couldn't really get in to it.
Sorry, but I don't think I'll ever get in to it.

Old Skool 75

Post by Old Skool 75 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 am

As a massive Shoot em' up fan, I had heard that Axelay was a classic shmup on the Snes. I finally got my hands on a copy and was seriously let down. In my opinion i don't think that the vertical sections work at all. The selection of weapons that you have is also a let down. Some of the horizontal levels are quite good but these are not enough to save Axelay. A while ago, Axelay became available on the U.S Virtual Console. Many European gamers voiced their disapointment on the forums etc because we had not received it. Sorry to say it guys but it's no great loss.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:23 am

There's no denying the greatness of Axelay, however it's nearly fatally flawed by those vertical levels. They look and play quite crudely in comparison to the more refined and enjoyable Horizontal sections. It's like two different games have been haphazardly squashed together.