Axelay - Why it's a classic

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Axelay - Why it's a classic

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:29 am

What makes it so special?

nakamura

Re: Axelay - Why it's a classic

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 am

Beacause it mixes style and substance very nicely. It is short yes but it is rather tricky. The mix of 2D and 3D levels was a great idea. It has a simple but nice story. The levels feel large in depth, very wide on the 3D levels which makes it feel a little more free than most shooters. Great music, the best music in fact.
Great graphics also.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

tssk

Post by tssk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:23 pm

It's pretty forgiving (grazing a bullet will block access to one weapon for the rest of that life). But the best bit? You don't lose all your weapons when you die. It also maintains a sense of urgency in a lot of the levels requiring you to dodge and rush in order not to get blocked or locked out! (And it's by Treasure before they were Treasure.)
Last edited by tssk on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Why is it a classic?

Because its on the SNES of course! 8)
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 pm

It's gotta be the weapon upgrade system. Instead of collecting weapons from enemies, you power up as you progress further in the game. To me that makes it much more rewarding.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Even if you took away the audio/visual treat`s the game offers, it`s clear the developers wanted to make a shoot-em-up that stood on it`s own 2 feet.The difficulty level was challenging, but never felt unfair, the mix of 2D and 3D helped keep the levels nice and varied,never felt in danger of getting a little stale.Also bloody great to see a shoot em up where your not 'Forced' into making near death movement, just to collect a bloody power up, doing it`s damndest to avoid you, yet begging to be picked up.Just felt like a lot of ideas had been put in, for the reason that they worked and not just to add some gimmick.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:25 pm

tssk wrote:It's pretty forgiving (grazing a bullet will block access to one weapon for the rest of that life). But the best bit? You don't lose all your weapons when you die. It also maintains a sense of urgency in a lot of the levels requiring you to dodge and rush in order not to get blocked or locked out! (And it's by Treasure before they were Treasure.)
This. 100% agree. Makes the game a bit harder when one of weapons that you rely on are knackered and have to use the wimpy standard shot Cannon.
Thye graphics are simply awesome as well. They look absolutely stunning, plus the music is great as well. Add in a devious level design, and you've a winner.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:25 pm

its the little touches like axelay taking out baddies with its shrapnel you die, the fact that explosions chain up to destroy enemies in the vicinity...little background details like electricity arcing on the destroyed space stations on level two. despite the sprite flicker theres loads of cool tech stuff going on like the amount of parallax backgrounds on level two and six, the wavy underwater effects. the absolute mastery of the snes sound chip by konami.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:58 pm

How many 16 bit games made your eyes feel like Barry White had made sweet sweet love to them? This was one of them.

Josh128

Post by Josh128 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Why is it a classic? Let me count the ways..

1.) Variety - Just like the old Life Force, here you have alternating vertical and side scrolling levels, with the vertical levels making excellent use of the SNES Mode 7 to deliver a never before seen 3D scrolling effect. The side scrolling levels were full of parallax scrolling and teeming with baddies. The locales included planetary surfaces,an industrial complex/mothership, underwater caverns,a lava/star surface level, and deep space.

2.)Graphics - This was one of the first SNES shooters that by and large managed to overcome the dreaded slowdown that plagued many early SNES titles. It was a technological marvel in the graphics department with scrolling, warping, scaling, and rotation of enemies and backgrounds, not to mention it was one of the most sprite intensive games ever released on the system. Though it still had some slowdown, it was nowhere near the level of other shooters such as Gradius 3, Super R-Type, and UN Squadron (one of my all time favs).

3.)Audio - Need I explain this? Some of the most intriguing and complex music tracks ever to be pumped out of the SNES's SPC700 sound chip. Eerie, echoing sound effects added to music tracks that built up from a slow simmer to an all out rolling boil, perfectly matching the levels they were created for.

3.)Gameplay - Of course, all of the above mean nothing without crisp controls, awesome weapons, and perfect challenge. Axelay had all 3. One of the few old school shooters (along with UN Squadron) that allowed you to take multiple hits before exploding, Axelay had the added element of causing you to lose your current weapon when you took a hit, which called for a shift in strategy. Best of all, this was a game that could be beaten. It was difficult, but not frustratingly difficult. No codes were needed here, just a quick mind and quicker thumbs! A true classic!

Graedient

Post by Graedient » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:55 pm

It's the only shooter I like. I put that down to the graphical amazingness. I literally sat open mouthed watching my friend play it.
Youtube | Trades & Sales | Twitter | Wanted: Super Pang (SNES) [Cart Only]

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:20 pm

well I dont normaly reply to these games threads becasue alot of the games I dont like (!?!?) and the only one I have commented on was SOR2, and then I was "all like dis'in it" but I have to say sirs, you've pulled a blinder of a game out of the bag, AXELAY is simply amazing.....and I have no reason what so ever to think this quote is going to make the magazine, but to me......

Axelay - Why it's a classic............Beacause it's just fu-ck-ing brilliant!!

I cant create a constructive reason for it, so just going to keep it really with that statement and let people who havnt played this brillant game make a decision on the most basic of responses!!! :P
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:29 pm

apart from being fun, detailed, having a excellent weapon set and with well balanced difficulty....axelay is a classic because it gets the length right. so many games of that era (i'm talking thunderforce 4, super aleste even konamis own pop n twinbee) got really overlong and padded the game out with either cheaper filler levels bereft of ideas (tf4, super aleste) or one note levels that go on way too long (stage 4 pop n twinbee springs to mind).

axelays six tight levels are packed with cool stuff from start to finish a real joy to replay. i remember at the time of release it got slated because of this. not enough content they cried.idiots.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:50 pm

HEAVYface wrote:
axelays six tight levels are packed with cool stuff from start to finish a real joy to replay. i remember at the time of release it got slated because of this. not enough content they cried.idiots.
That is a fantastic point. Who would have thought that almost 20 years later Axelay would still be getting a good thrashing at least once every couple of months. Not me for sure, the length is spot on as it is such a joy to sit through.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Josh128

Post by Josh128 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Agree with the length being perfect. Shooters back then couldnt be saved, you had to either finish them in a sitting or pause the system indefinitely until you could return to finish (!). Axelays length was perfectly suited to the needs of impatient gamers such as myself! 8)

As mentioned before, there were only 6 levels, but what an incredible six levels they were! A tour-de-force from start to finish!