Axelay - Best Level

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Axelay - Best Level

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:29 am

What's your favourite stage?

nakamura

Re: Axelay - Best Level

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:30 am

Level 4, the underwater level. Has a very claustrophibic feel to it, slow paced and requires a lot of patience to get through. The little jelly bean things being the biggest pain. The music is the winner though. On this level it is simply epic, especially the brilliant echo effect applied to it. Great boss also, gives you very little room to manouver, plus a weapon changing beam to make things tricky.

Great level.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

tssk

Post by tssk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:28 pm

I really enjoyed the sideways space level. Usually these feel too empty but the frantic pace of having to dive between capital ships while dodging fire and engines took me right back to the days of watching Robotech on a Saturday morning.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:46 pm

level six without question.

theres just so much going on, and so many changes of pace in it. its one of the greatest shooter levels ever made. from beginning to end, the kind of cool massive stuff that up untill then only appeared in the arcades.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:49 pm

level 2 is the best, has the perfect feel to it and also the best music of the game. Love the fact you face off against a mode 7 ed209 at the end too.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Probably the first, just for setting the scene, getting the player into the flow of the game and then launching a quite memorable boss at you.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:44 pm

I can't just choose one, it's too hard. They all have brilliance about them, different paces and strategies, and each feels so different due to the setting. Ah, go on then, level four underwater - it's probably the one you have to think about the most, and may possibly have the best music in the entire game.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

thl

Post by thl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:35 pm

I'd say Level 2. When you enter the base, it creates that complexity within the mechanical structure and it can be enduring. There's so much going on in that stage as you come across moving platforms, mini cannons, missle ships and cybernatic enemies, including the one-eyed creature with moving tentacles.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:18 pm

Level 4 - The side scrolling under water cave. The tension in this level keeps you on the edge of your seat, which is due to the slower pace and the restricted movement which work beautifuly in combination with the darker graphical feel and the atomspheric flooded cave location. The music also deserves a special mention as it is quite sublime. For anyone who has not yet played Axelay or reached Level 4 it is very similar in style and pace to Level 2 (the flooded cave) in Irems R-Type II.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:57 pm

hmmmm...now i've seen them all, i'd have to say level 6. It throws just about everything at you right from the off and those monster spaceships at the start are pretty special. The slower tight later sections are very claustrophobic and accurate flying is a must. not too keen on the end boss though.....(only because i still can't beat it :wink: )

If you were to ask the same question about the audio...level 4 is the hands down winner. The music is fabulous. Can't get it out of my head!
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Stage 5 - Sector 3 Lava Planet always stand out against the rest of the levels, hell fire and brimstone Mwahhhhh.
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!