First Impressions Axelay

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Mayhem

Re: First Impressions Axelay

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Having read a couple of reviews, got it on Japanese import for a decent price. First thoughts were of a fast, complex shooter that allowed for plenty of strategy and tactics for each level. And quite hard. Over time I came to love it and get better at it, even managed to clock it without continuing on hard level. Not an easy feat!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

thl

Post by thl » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 pm

Absolutely breathtaking! It felt like an equivalent of when Gradius meets Aleste. I never seen a shoot 'em up game that used mixture of vertical and horizontal side scrolling for the first time. Graphic wise it looks incredible and I been blown away by the sheer excellence of Mode 7.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:45 am

nakamura wrote: Haha schoolkids say the funniest things! Not sure how it got compared to a fighter so I am not surprised you were shocked!
Yeah, I think it's because of the way it was worded, I was lead to believe the game was called Axe Slay. Which does sound like a fighting game. :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:25 pm

I just thought the 3D was absolutely sensational. I was used to being impressed by the SNES and particularly Konami, but this was something else entirely. The fact that the game itself turned out to be stunning was simply a bonus.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:05 pm

C=Style wrote:
nakamura wrote: Haha schoolkids say the funniest things! Not sure how it got compared to a fighter so I am not surprised you were shocked!
Yeah, I think it's because of the way it was worded, I was lead to believe the game was called Axe Slay. Which does sound like a fighting game. :D
Funny you should say that, bit of dejavu now.....I think someone called it that at my school. :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:24 pm

Well the first time i played this was an hour ago! :lol: My cart turned up and i've been giving it a whirl.

As a complete noob (to the shmup genre as a whole) i found it pretty tough going on my first two or three attempts, as i had to work out how to switch between the weapons systems and also what worked best in a given situation. It helped my control enormously when i switched from the standard pad to an arcade stick, as well.

I've finally finished the first level ....didn't think the first boss was too hard (easing me in gently, maybe?) but i was very surprised to see it switch to a horizontal shooter for the second level. Just wasn't expecting that for some reason....anyway, that's where i'm getting my butt kicked at the moment. Looking forward to seeing what else the game has to offer.

Still don't think it'll ever be a favourite genre of mine, no matter how good it is though :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 am

I was very late to the party with this one, I only played it a few years ago, after finding an import copy and then frantically searching for a converter. I could see why people were blown away by the mode 7 effects when it was released, and while graphics moved on in the interim, I found myself very taken with the effect, although 'the horizon' is only about 100 metres away, so it's a tiny planet, obviously. The side on sections were more familiar and polished feeling, and since I prefer the horizontal shmup as a rule, they were my preferred levels. I still can't understand the backlash about the first level, though.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Having given it a bit more time, i can safely say its really growing on me. I like level 3 a lot, flying over what looks like Paris at night with ground to air fireball dodging and weaving through the maze like structure. Mind you, level 4's organic feel is fabulous too. Just getting stuck on the boss blob thing at the minute....
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

brandynigma

Post by brandynigma » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:35 am

Wow! What a great opening animatic. This is going to be something special.

Pick my weapons and start...

Fire! Fire! Fire!

And- I'm dead.

Ah, I see, toggle through the weapons and- hey, nice spreader!

And- I'm dead.

THERE ARE ASTEROID-Ms COMING OUT OF THE 2D BACKGROUND.

And- I'm dead.

Right, I've spent two continues, but I've finally beat the boss, now I'll get some weapon power- ups, maybe some extra lives.

And- I'm dead.

Why am I enjoying being so terrible at this game?

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:27 pm

just beat Lava man....Jeez, level 6 is hard. Got past that little Ed 209 thing and then died by not being quick enough to get through the shutting doors!

I'm so close to finishing.....i can smell it :evil:

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:56 pm

My first impressions when I got my grubby mits on an Import copy as a kid, were WOW! amazing graphics, bosses and music. Ive just bought Axelay again and although yesterday was the first thime I had played the game in almost 17 years I still thought WOW! amazing graphics, bosses and music.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Very polished, stunning graphics and sound. Always had that one more go syndrome feel to it.
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:53 pm

ooh, nice music

hey, i like being able to get this radial cannon to fire different angles and shoot stuff without putting me in harms way

ouch, crap, that rock just exploded into many rocks right infront of me and i couldn't get away

Crap, I lost my nice gun and I'm trapped in some sort of rock channels with enemies to the sides i dont want to risk shooting with a frontal attack, crash, bang

Game Over

Man, I suck at this, how long do i have to try and practice before the article is finished ;-)
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:05 pm

for the first timers Axelay is a bit of a weird one. the first level is definitely harder than some of the later levels, especially 2 and 3.

if you get past the first level with a couple of lives intact getting to level four should be easy-ish. don't be put off!