First Impressions Axelay

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

First Impressions Axelay

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:28 am

What did you think when you played this for the first time?

Havantgottaclue

Re: First Impressions Axelay

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:50 am

My first impression was 'how do you get out of that!?!?' when I found myself surrounded by a circle of enemies early on in the first level. Having bought just a cart only copy many years after its release, I didn't know that you could alter the angle of your bullets by holding down the fire button. :oops: It's actually a brilliant method of controlling your firing direction once you get the hang of it, and once I'd worked it out I really started to enjoy the game.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:15 am

I loved it and did a first look vid last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEeREcKDYHk

In fact I was so excited I even ran a little competition :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSKc5dD0l_8
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:20 am

My first impression was 'hey, that game looks immense! I hope NoE bring it out on Virtual Console soon!'. *Waits*.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:24 am

My god I love the music, and the graphics are awesome too. The mix of side 3d and 2d levels was a great idea.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Dam

Post by Dam » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:19 pm

I like the fact that you can take a few hits before dying, because I'm weak. I also like the fact that you don't have to collect power-ups.

tssk

Post by tssk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:17 pm

I played this late in the day so my first impressions were that the 3D was a little flat. However it did stand out as being incredibly colourful.

Oh and it used the Gradius font! :) Does this make it part of the Gradius/Scramble canon?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Do you mean before or after i picked my jaw up off the floor? :wink: Friend of mine was playing it, 1st thing i saw was that Molten Lava Boss creature, looked bloody gorgeous. Fantastic use of the Snes hardware, was auctually rather bloody jealous at the time (Being a MD owner),If only for a short while.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:39 pm

the first time i played this i'll admit i was a little underwhelmed (was in 1992 or there abouts).

i got it on jap import and payed through the nose for it. i played levels 1,2,3 i found it a bit flickery thought the weapons where a bit pants.not as good as thunderforce 3.

got to level four and it kicked off! i was blown away by the reverb on the sound and was impressed by the alpha/water effects, the boss was great. felt a bit like i was playing xexex's little brother. when i finally made it to the last level, that was it, the best level i've played in any shooter at that point (and to be fair one of the best levels to this day). there was no way my MD was going to match that!

i even really liked the dour game over screen with the oppressive sound effects. konami where absolute masters of the snes!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:56 pm

As Han would say 'I have a bad feeling about this' followed by many many deaths as I try to get the hang of it.

(Oh - and I am also sad to discover the box it came in was crushed by the console in my strorage box.....)

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:12 am

What's all the fuss about?

Id heard it hyped to the moon and recently got a jap copy as was cheapest at the time.

Its a vertical shoo.. No it's a Horizon.. Wait its a Vert.. Oh for the love of humanity
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:26 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:My first impression was 'how do you get out of that!?!?' when I found myself surrounded by a circle of enemies early on in the first level. Having bought just a cart only copy many years after its release, I didn't know that you could alter the angle of your bullets by holding down the fire button. :oops: It's actually a brilliant method of controlling your firing direction once you get the hang of it, and once I'd worked it out I really started to enjoy the game.

Glad i just read that....i'll be receiving the cart early next week, hopefully. Any more tips for a complete noob?
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:47 pm

my first impression was a plain and simple 'wow', was by far at the time one of the best looking games to ever appear on a home system. The 'rolling' background on the vertical sections also made you feel sick if you sat too close to the tv too :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:53 pm

I remember hearing the hype at school for this game. Many people were saying it was going to be better than the recently released Street Fighter 2 and so naturally I thought it was a fighter. I was pretty surprised when it turned out to be a shmup.

My best friend bought it on US import and I was very impressed with it, the graphics in particular really showed off what the SNES was capable of. But looking back now it really is mode 7 for the sake of it, in fact the background make no sense. The sound was so good, the music really impressed me so much. I was a MD fanboy in those days and I was pretty jealous.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:46 pm

C=Style wrote:I remember hearing the hype at school for this game. Many people were saying it was going to be better than the recently released Street Fighter 2 and so naturally I thought it was a fighter. I was pretty surprised when it turned out to be a shmup.
Haha schoolkids say the funniest things! Not sure how it got compared to a fighter so I am not surprised you were shocked!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)