Rainbow Islands - Best Conversion

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Rainbow Islands - Best Conversion

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri May 14, 2010 5:52 am

This is a tricky catagory

Britnostalgic

Re: Rainbow Islands - Best Conversion

Post by Britnostalgic » Fri May 14, 2010 6:48 am

I've played nearly every 8-bit version out there, surely the amstrad CPC version is up there with the best of them.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat May 15, 2010 11:40 am

I'm usually boring and go for the master system, but of the versions I've seen, the Atari St seemed very decent.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 15, 2010 11:51 am

Not sure which is best, but the Spectrum version is very good.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 am

I haven't played many of the conversions, but out of the few I've played, the Spectrum version is the best due to it's colourful graphics (with almost no colour clash), excellent playability, and the superb 128k music.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed May 19, 2010 6:11 pm

The Mega Drive version - it has the whole "Extra" mode thing, plus the right music. Pretty much perfect in every way.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Rapidmollusc

Post by Rapidmollusc » Thu May 20, 2010 3:15 am

well assuming the PS1 version doesn't count (as that is almost definitely the best) I will go with the Amiga version as it was pretty faithful. Wasn't so fussed with any of the 8 bit versions after playing this (although they were all quite good), never saw the Mastersystem or Megadrive versions though.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu May 20, 2010 4:50 am

allot will say the good old megadrive version..but the Home computer version has to be the "Amiga" verison, pefect for the that machine at the time..bright and colourful matched with witty gameplay.
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

NonShinyGoose

Post by NonShinyGoose » Fri May 21, 2010 7:56 am

I've only played it on Amgia and Master System. The Master System version holds up well, apart from the sprite flickering. I also had Rainbow Islands: Putty's Party on Wonderswan which was good, although not a conversion of the original.
Gaming Gibberish - http://www.gamesasylum.com
Follow us on TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gamesasylum

360 Gamer Tag: NonShinyGoose

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 21, 2010 8:10 am

Amiga version for me. Great graphics and super smooth gameplay. The Master System version is also pretty good, the Saturn version was slightly disapointing for me since the music was worse and I wasn't fond of the new graphics. Gameplay wise its still spot on though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat May 22, 2010 7:07 am

Well, this is a VERY hard decision ..... all the versions are good.

Best 8-bit ver: between Commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC .... think the CPC is slightly better though.
Best 16-bit ver: Commodore Amiga without a doubt .... it's arcade perfect and plays like a dream!

Special mention to the Speccy version, which is a bloody good conversion despite limitations of the machine. I was well impressed! I was also quite happy with the NES version too.
Greyfox wrote:allot will say the good old megadrive version..but the Home computer version has to be the "Amiga" verison, pefect for the that machine at the time..bright and colourful matched with witty gameplay.
I couldn't have put it better myself!

Oh, did I mention that this is one of my favourite games? :lol:

mrspud

Post by mrspud » Sun May 23, 2010 7:29 am

Amiga version was the first version I played and nothing has ever lived up to it. I even prefer it to the arcade because the music sounds too tinny on the arcade!
New Amiga, SAM Coupé and Speccy games available at http://blackjet.co.uk

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Although I grew up playing, and loving it on the Amiga 500, as the years have gone by, and I’ve picked it up on as many different ports as I can, I have to say the Megadrive version wins out. I don’t like the way the little dude looks in the Megadrive version, and the sound could be a bit nicer, but It seems to be the one I go back to the most. Having said that, for the past year, I’ve played the NES version the most, but I think that has more to do with how my consoles are laid out…The NES version is pretty sweet though, but maybe that's because it seems to be alot easier :P

thl

Post by thl » Wed May 26, 2010 1:04 pm

The Mega Drive port is one of my favourite and it's very impressive as it stays faithful to the arcade version. Quite liked the Master System port too, which is another good example of getting the best out of the 8-bit console.

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Fri May 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Best conversion by far for me was the Amiga. When correctly done it showed how good the amiga was at copying arcade machines faithfully.
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!