Best classic Sega franchise?

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Best classic Sega franchise?

Sonic
41%
Streets Of Rage
22%
Golden Axe
2%
Shinobi
8%
Out Run
22%
After Burner
4%
Alex Kidd
1%

Total votes: 83

Budly Moore

Re: Best classic Sega franchise?

Post by Budly Moore » Sun May 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Sonic is storming ahead, shame as I think it's crap, I went for Shinobi simply because Shinobi, Revenge of the Shinobi and Shadow Dancer are the best 2d games ever made.
Sonic, pfft.

Alistair Aitcheson

Post by Alistair Aitcheson » Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 pm

Has to be Sonic for me. I keep on coming back to that series, old and new, and and it really did something special with the platformer genre by making it so fast and fluid.

Sure, there's been a few stinkers over the past decade, but Sonic Adventure 2 was fantastic once you started gunning for the A-Ranks, and Sonic Colours is super stuff. But my favourite of the series is actually Sonic Advance 3, which is all too often overlooked, and I highly recommend it.

Second for me would be Shinobi, mostly because of Revenge of Shinobi on Megadrive. Has anyone played the PS2 reboot, and was it any good?
Indie developer, creator of Greedy Bankers for iPhone.
Twitter| Blog

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Got to be Sonic for me!
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

prinnysquad

Post by prinnysquad » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Streets of Rage.

Still brilliantly playable to this day, and one of the best co-op series' ever. Really satisfying controls; I always felt exhilarated when laying the smackdown. The art design of the settings was so varied. With each level section small and self-contained, they were very memorable.

And the tunes ... the tunes were on another level. Brilliance from Koshiro. One of the few soundtracks I could listen to outside of the game on the strength of the music alone, and yet it was so much more - each track reminded me of a certain section, a special killer moment.

Multiplechris

Post by Multiplechris » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:06 pm

I plumped for Streets of Rage not because it has more great games than the Sonic franchise but because it only disappointed me once!
Whoever dies with the most toys wins!

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:35 pm

I voted for Shinobi, but SOR comes a very close second. I mainly voted for Shinobi becasue of four stand out games

The Revenge of Shinobi/ The Super Shinobi
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master/ The Super Shinobi II

Two of my fave games for the Mega Drive, I loved them as a kid and still do now.

Shinobi
Shinobi II The Silent Fury

Both cracking little games for the Game Gear.

The rest of the series for me is a bit of a mixed bag, some good and some not so good, although I've yet to try the GBA and PS2 outings.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

ulala

Post by ulala » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:42 pm

a difficult one but i chose outrun, it still has the magic

however sonic was downhill from game #1, from greatness to an abomination.

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog. He is the first thing you think of when you think of Sega. Despite all the ups and downs that Sega have experienced over the years, Sonic is still as awesome as he always has been!
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Space Holiday wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog. He is the first thing you think of when you think of Sega. Despite all the ups and downs that Sega have experienced over the years, Sonic is still as awesome as he always has been!
I don't know about that, but the Mega Drive games have certainly aged well.

I think it has to be Sonic, by an absolute mile. Fact of the matter is, Sonic is an iconic character and is still as well known today as he was back in the Mega Drive hey-day, unfortunately the same can't be said for the other franchises listed here.

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:16 am

Outrun as it has progressed nicely over the years. Outrun 2 CTC is simply stunning

B-W01

Post by B-W01 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 am

I agree with everyone that Sonic is the best franchise. The series has gone downhill over the years, but I am glad that Sega decided to return to its roots with Sonic 4.

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Maybe they should lay Sonic to rest and come up with something new. If they do new or different things it seems to always go badly ,the only time people are happy is when they go back to the original games and just redo the same old stuff again.