SOR2 - The series

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

crusto

Re: SOR2 - The series

Post by crusto » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Streets 1 was the pinnacle of scrolling beatemups on the md for me, until 2 arrived that was. A great game but bettered in every way by its sequel. Stupidly, I didnt realise there was a streets 3 until the ultimate md collection arrived. But on playing it I realised that I hadnt missed out at all. If anything, I had been spared the pain of playing it. Wtf happened? Did the original coders all die or something? An absoloute shower of censored.

Eat your nans pants

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:58 pm

crusto wrote:Streets 1 was the pinnacle of scrolling beatemups on the md for me, until 2 arrived that was. A great game but bettered in every way by its sequel. Stupidly, I didnt realise there was a streets 3 until the ultimate md collection arrived. But on playing it I realised that I hadnt missed out at all. If anything, I had been spared the pain of playing it. Wtf happened? Did the original coders all die or something? An absoloute shower of censored.
I think that's a little harsh, you're not the first to proper hate it as it seems to get alot of negative feelings, and I'm not a real fan but, come one, It's not a truely terrible game. I think if it'd come out first, we'd have lapped it up, it's always kept from being anything other than 'ok' because its just got something missing...but it's a BIG something

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:02 pm

Sepp Salerno wrote:
crusto wrote:Streets 1 was the pinnacle of scrolling beatemups on the md for me, until 2 arrived that was. A great game but bettered in every way by its sequel. Stupidly, I didnt realise there was a streets 3 until the ultimate md collection arrived. But on playing it I realised that I hadnt missed out at all. If anything, I had been spared the pain of playing it. Wtf happened? Did the original coders all die or something? An absoloute shower of censored.
I think that's a little harsh, you're not the first to proper hate it as it seems to get alot of negative feelings, and I'm not a real fan but, come one, It's not a truely terrible game. I think if it'd come out first, we'd have lapped it up, it's always kept from being anything other than 'ok' because its just got something missing...but it's a BIG something
Admittedly, I have played far worse. But It simply does not come close to its prequels. So, in terms of Streets of Rage, its total cack im afraid. Imo of course :wink:

Eat your nans pants

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:12 pm

crusto wrote:
Sepp Salerno wrote:
Admittedly, I have played far worse. But It simply does not come close to its prequels. So, in terms of Streets of Rage, its total cack im afraid. Imo of course :wink:
I know what youre saying, I guess it'll never get judged alone bacause its a SOR game, and, lets face it, its a pretty sh*tty end to the saga

thl

Post by thl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:15 am

I use to play the first game a lot, which was a great start to the series. When I played it few years ago, it starting to show that age and does seemed to be overshadow by the follow up. Still it does pack a lot of punches when playing two player mode and the summon of the police force, intense boss battles and alternative endings made this another classic.

NonShinyGoose

Post by NonShinyGoose » Mon May 03, 2010 8:12 pm

The first time I summoned the squad car in the first game, and it came screeching onto the screen and fired projectiles at a screen full of enemies, I thought Streets of Rage was the coolest game ever.

I've recently acquired the two Game Gear versions of SoR 1 and 2. Looking forward to giving them a bash soon.
Gaming Gibberish - http://www.gamesasylum.com
Follow us on TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gamesasylum

360 Gamer Tag: NonShinyGoose

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry » Wed May 05, 2010 4:24 am

SoR 2 really does show up SoR if you play one straight after the other. SoR 3 suffered from it's hatchet job, very dissapointing and Ninja Princess aside, quite un-Sega. The removal of Ash was criminal! But I didn't mind the colour scheme changes, Blaze looks good in silver. The best thing to do is get yourself a Bare Knuckle III cart or cheaper still, ROM it makes the game like 50 times better.

Interesting bit of SoR series trivia? The SWAT car that helps you out in SoR? Read the side, it says E-SWAT! A neat little reference to to E-SWAT Cyber Police and E-SWAT: CIty Under Siege!

MeX

ulala

Post by ulala » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 pm

Shinobi wrote:Just bought SOR3 to play on my 50/60 hz Megadrive problem is its region protected.. The pal version is horrible impossibly hard, bosses taken out such as the Village people, suprised they kept the female characters though they put tons of clothes on them.. Colours are wrong and I'm sure there was a bike stage on Bare Knuckle 3 missing from the pal version
female characters?

weren't they transvestites?

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 pm

I had a quick play of Streets One last week, and I managed to get to the boat level on one credit, but then realised why I get pissed off with the game: the two end of level bosses that always back away from you, and throw you. No punches, no kicks, just throwing you. F**king grrrrrr :x
Streets Two was much much better all round. It felt more of a challenge, it looked better and the music was just....there's no words to describe it, it's just more awesome.
Streets Three.....I thought it was ok, but the sound was botched, the story got bent over backwards, and it was more of a chore to play. There WAS something missing (along with a coherent story for us PAL gamers), but I can't put my finger on it.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

EvilTheHuman

Post by EvilTheHuman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:41 pm

Like most people on here I have no real love for SOR 3. It's just nowhere even close to 1 & 2.
But I love the soundtrack. It absolutely crazy. And how they got that noise out of a Megadrive I'll never know.
Up there with Probotector.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:05 pm

I find Bare Knuckle III the best, mainly due to the fact that the other two are so slow they bore the hell out of me by the time I've finished the first level. Tons of depth, like specials that don't harm your health (but only if you use them sparingly), extra unlockable moves, a couple of secret areas, three endings, crazy music that is more serious (in tone with the game), and a few bonus characters thrown in. The localisation completely messed it up by making every enemy have ten times as much health, but the original BK3 stands far above the others in my opinion.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design