SOR2 - The series

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Stuart@retrogamer

SOR2 - The series

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:28 pm

What do you think of the other games in the Streets Of Rage series?

thevulture

Re: SOR2 - The series

Post by thevulture » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:56 pm

Small sprites aside, i do still have a soft spot for the 1st game-It was 1 of THE games that convinced me to buy a MD. :D (1 thing i`m still confused over though, is it pepper or CS gas you chuck in your foes faces?.).Still find the game very playable today.As for the 3rd...Wtf happened here? Bigger cartridge=Lesser game.Never took to Zan character, just felt daft, Music was`nt patch on no.2, Game felt over familar, as if Sega content to just chuck out same old without really trying.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:39 pm

Have to agree again! The original despite a 30fps frame rate and small sprites is excellent. Great levels, great music and a great final area. The third stanks to hell. I just hated the characters and the sound had killed it, was a total mess.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

retrohogg

Post by retrohogg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:57 pm

once again agree. 1 was great and really set the standard for scrolling fighters at the time, 2 comes along and is for my money one of the best MD titles and then three was a total letdown,just a really poor effort which also managed to kill the franchise :(
If it's a miracle Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry, point 4-5 caliber miracle.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:03 pm

I like very few beat em ups but love this series. One was superb but lacked some of the brilliant moves and extras in the second. The third I don't like and is ridiculously expensive to buy.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:34 pm

The first one was slow, slow, slow and dull, 2 however is a major improvement.
Splink!

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:03 pm

I did like the original and thought 2 would fall short of the mark but surprised me by blowing it out of the water. 3 was a huge let down. Yes it had boxing kangaroos but that wasn't enough to save it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 am

I loved the first title to bits. I finaly got hold of a MD at Christmas 1992 (I was 14). I had finaly made the move from a Commodore 64 to a state of the art 16 bit console and Streets of Rage was the first game I played on it. It was fantastic, like I owned my own Arcade machine. Good times! The Second was even better with its huge sprites and special moves. While number three was just okay, just not as good as the second one.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:17 pm

The original is awesome, but it sort of gets left in the dust a bit by SOR2 which tweeks, and finalizes everything the first had to offer. And I like the third, but there’s something a bit clunky about it. Also, I really don’t like the tunes in the third game

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:33 pm

The first Streets of Rage is a game most people have played and I still enjoy it even if it is no where near as balanced or good as the sequel. The first game has the police back up anyway which is always a laugh.
I have the game gear version as well, it is much easier than the mega drive version but it is also fairly easy and slightly dull.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:03 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:The first Streets of Rage is a game most people have played and I still enjoy it even if it is no where near as balanced or good as the sequel. The first game has the police back up anyway which is always a laugh.
I have the game gear version as well, it is much easier than the mega drive version but it is also fairly easy and slightly dull.
Oh man, that stupid cop car was a real double edged sword. Used right, it would really help, but if you were mashing away, and you knock the ‘C’ button by mistake ...:evil: RAGE!
Loads of oldschool Megadrive (and arcade games) would chuck that function in, Golden Axe, and Shinobi spring to mind.

I’d much rather have ‘C’ as a special move, which is the case in SOR2. Annoyingly, but somewhat understandably it lowers your health a little every time you use it, but using it in tight squeezes can be real effective, putting a little bit of strategy into the button tapping, and each of the four characters have some real slick moves to bust out.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Bares his knuckles :D

Streets of Rage. Brilliant game great music and for its time was a breathe of fresh air, I remember bugging me Nan to help with the cost of the game as part of my birthday present.

Streets of Rage 3. Avoid like the plague. The game was censured by Sega of America resulting in colour palettes and characters being changed The difficulty was ramped up, the pacing got messed and became an utterly broken game. Import Bare Knuckle 3.. Better pacing less computer cheating proper characters and colour palettes. Its not amazing, but its a damn sight better than the UK/US abomination!

The Game Gear and Master System versions are very good the GG version has different levels and both are well worth tracking down to play pleasantly suprised with them both
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 am

Yeah, those ones on the Game Gear are great - I think I like those two better then Streets of Rage I and III for the Mega Drive.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Being a huge Master System fan, it's strange that I've never played those versions of it. However, I think that the first game was terrible - bad animation, slow gameplay and barely any difference between the characters. The third one was an overblown mess, if I'm honest, and the lack of Max is unforgivable. The only thing I miss on SoR2 is Adam, I thought he'd have been brilliant with an expanded move set like Blaze and Axel got for the second game.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Just bought SOR3 to play on my 50/60 hz Megadrive problem is its region protected.. The pal version is horrible impossibly hard, bosses taken out such as the Village people, suprised they kept the female characters though they put tons of clothes on them.. Colours are wrong and I'm sure there was a bike stage on Bare Knuckle 3 missing from the pal version
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"