SOR2 - First impressions

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Stuart@retrogamer

SOR2 - First impressions

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:21 pm

Post 'em here.

thevulture

Re: SOR2 - First impressions

Post by thevulture » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:59 pm

1st time i saw it running was on Mean Machines promotional video-Jaw dropped to the floor.Massive sprites, Thumping soundtrack, Fighting a barman in a back alley, whilst it was chuckin it down, man i was sold.Soon as i started playing game for real?Just knew it was going to be something special.For me?a perfect sequel.would look very much at home in an arcade. :D

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Yup, it was the huge sprites and amazing music that sold it for me. As for the amazing special Dragon Punch type attack! Awesome!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Where's the dude with the rocket launcher? Shortly followed by the disbelief they'd topped the original which I'd loved so much.

retrohogg

Post by retrohogg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:26 pm

Apprehension at spending a whole £20 of my pocket money, which i seem to recall was somewhere in the region of £2 a week, but once i pummeled my first Y signal everything was good...best £20 i ever spent.
If it's a miracle Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry, point 4-5 caliber miracle.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:07 am

I was quite simply amazed by SOR2, the sound was fantastic and the sprites were huge, especially Max! Now I loved the first one but SOR2 was an absolute cracker, quite possibly better than Capcom's Final Fight!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:21 am

MattyC64c wrote: quite possibly better than Capcom's Final Fight!
I would say so, more interesting moves, better music and to be honest more interesting visuals.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 pm

The first thing that hits me whenever I load up Streets Of Rage 2, be it today or way back in the early nineties when this was the cutting edge talk of the playground, isn’t one of the badly named token street walkers, or the deceptively slick 16 bit graphics but the sheer sound of the game.

The music in Streets of Rage 2 is just incredible, level-by-level, track by track they’re true retrogaming floor filling, foot tapers that make me grin like a simpleton while I’m breaking gang member’s faces. You could honestly polish these 16 bit audio beauties up in a proper sound studio now and release them on 12 inch! But in all honesty, that wouldn’t be all that necessary as when you play SOR2 on a television with some serious speakers, the tunes are as crisp and diamond cut as they could be considering the games age.

The sound effects are also bang on the money, and are the closest thing to that sexually satisfying arcade brawler sound it’s possible for the Mega Drive to get, what’s more they also sort of go along with the pace of the music itself. This isn’t the case in either Streets of Rage 1, or 3 that both have pretty sweet score, but they sort of go through the motions rather that provide a musical back drop so grand, and apt it almost becomes the fifth character in the game.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Yuzo Koshiro even had the MD sound circuitry as part of his studio.He was inspired by the london club scene on a vist to the uk and thus the greatest ever MD soundtracks were born. found some of his other stuff after SOR 2 very dissapointing.3`s were`nt as good, nor shinobi, Story of Thor, Eye of the beholder on MCD etc.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:14 am

I loved the first game so when I saw the second game I was convinced that it would be better than the first, playing it I was right, evrything had been improved upon, I love the special moves.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:23 am

The first time I played this was waaaaay back in the early 90's when I was a kid. Growing up, I forgot all about it and was always told by my Uncle (who's game it was) that it was Street Fighter :roll:

Fast forward a few years and I get the game myself at last. It was instantly one of those games that I knew could never get boring and would always be satisfying to play. I kept on expecting the later levels to degrade in terms of quality but no such bad luck there. Not having the instruction manual also proved to be BETTER on my first few playthroughs because I had to discover the special moves myself by experimentation and when I did find one, it was awesome :D
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Honestly i never got on with megadrive games but this was certainly one of the elite. Nice big sprites, colorful, great gameplay, i mean this was honestly better than some arcade games.

This was for sure the Megadrives answer to final fight. The sound in this (by which i really mean the music mainly) was great, not at all boring and repetitive, i mean it really pumped!

I can always remember the first level of this, and thats what i think of when i hear "streets of rage". A great game i think is judged by the a decent opening level and it really got off to a good start with this one.

I did find the later level confusing as they randomly jumped to different place, first you'll be in a bar then on a ship, then in the scene from Aliens with those egg things! It did find this a little strange for a game called Streets of rage.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:41 pm

*JAW DROPS* This IS an arcade game right? It isnt on the megadrive? It cant be on a megadrive? We my first thoughts seeing it in the flesh

16 Meg Cart of sheer awesomeness. I was not really aware that it was coming out until it smacked me in the face when I saw it on display in my local computer shop. I had played SOR to death, I completed it on me first go ( ive got witnesses lol), but that wasnt enough, played over and over and over with my brother to the point of destruction. So when had seen the preview video and then in the flesh just utterly blown away.

Because money was tight I never actually owned Streets of Rage 2 until about 8-10 years ago., before that It was a treat to rent it from the video shop where it got played a silly amount of times.

The legacy is that the soundtrack follows me whereever I go Its awesome and I dont think I could ever bare to part from it
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:09 pm

My very first impressions were given to me by that video that came with a Sega magazine before it came out - anyone remember that one? It had previews of Streets of Rage 2 and Green Dog amongst many others, after the long advert for the Mega-CD that had Joe Satriani playing over it. That was a fantastic video. I saw SoR2 and immediately wanted it, the music and visuals sold me right there and then. Playing it for the first time was just excellent - it felt so natural to play, easy to control but hard to master.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Smurph wrote:My very first impressions were given to me by that video that came with a Sega magazine before it came out - anyone remember that one? It had previews of Streets of Rage 2 and Green Dog amongst many others, after the long advert for the Mega-CD that had Joe Satriani playing over it. That was a fantastic video. I saw SoR2 and immediately wanted it, the music and visuals sold me right there and then. Playing it for the first time was just excellent - it felt so natural to play, easy to control but hard to master.
Haha! Awesome 90's styles :P I totally remember that! Satriani was a bit random, but I guess he is the tap master 8)