Beach Head - The Sequels

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Romulous

Re: Beach Head - The Sequels

Post by Romulous » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:05 am

I only remember the original and Beachead 2, and it was like eating Chocolate for the first time playing BH2, Sublime.

There has been a lot of good C64 games mentioned recently, so i guess im gonna have to break open Frodo and get nostalgic, or should i just break out one of the Commodore 64s and give that a try.

God what a blast that would be, 20 minutes for a game to load LOL

Hmmm, i might need to run the output from the 64 through my receiver, i dont think it would run directly on my LCD.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:39 pm

I like to think of Raid Over Moscow as a Beach Head sequel, Raid got so many things right and felt a lot more polished than Beach Head, everything from the Grenade launcher attack on the Kremlin to the Discs of Tron-a-like level were simply brill and the feeling of finally getting your squadron out the hanger is unforgetable

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:55 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Talk about the later games here.
Is there more than one sequel to Beach Head? :?
Yes - Beach Head 3.

Its set in Southend on Sea. The first level has you walking along the beach dodging the condoms and white lightening bottles and the final level has you trying to kill all the sovereign ring wearing chavs.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:07 pm

MMMMMMEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCC
Yeah... I loved Beach Head 2 on the c.64. The speech was great and because of that I grew to love the game. Shmickles.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Not a sequel, More of a clone, but anyone remember:

Accolade`s: 'Power At Sea'? :?

And Also, did`nt the C64 version of 'Heavy Metal' come with Beach Head as a freebie?, which was ironic, as despite being the older game by far, it was much, much better.

moora101

Post by moora101 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:23 pm

The sequel still holds up just as well as the first Beach Head. Even though the graphics are even more dated, the animations for the "stick men" are great fun! The sequel was amazing in two player, I remember having so much fun mowing down my mates stick men!!! Bwaaaa haaa haaa!!!

I suppose although not technically a sequel, but Raid over Moscow was a contemporary (well, in 1985!) set version of the first Beach Head. It had a similar gameplay structure in that it was build of several smaller games (the flying level was basically the same as the tank level in Beach Head) and it was developed by the same team. It's definitely still worth checking out- it's aged remarkably well.

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:22 pm

The sequels were as dull as ditch water, not for me, no thx!
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:08 am

Beach Head 2 is a great game in it's own right, my Dad and I used to play the 2 player constantly when it was released.

My fave level was laying all the traps to kill the escapees and the knife fight.

The game was a nice continuation since the original had done the big battles, now it was time to get more up close and personal!

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:29 pm

BH2 I felt was a great 2 player game and a better 1 player than the original, but it was the speech on the C64 that made it stand out. Even though the game plays very similarly on the A8, the lack of speech somehow made it less fun.
HADDOCKEN!

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:32 pm

Doh! The first time I heard of the existence of Beach Head II has been... just a few days ago on this forum! Shame on me...
On the other hand, I played a lot Raid over Moscow on my C64. Eheh! I spent a whole afternoon with a friend of mine figuring how to get out of the hangar.
Even if obviously less innovative, the game is more polished than Beach Head and the addition of the time limit is a good idea to keep the pressure up. I also felt even more involved in the game, playing as an individual pilot, rather than a fleet of ships.
Now it makes me smile, but back in the 80's I felt uneasy about the game's theme. I found it only slightly less odd than 'Communist Mutants from Outer Space' on the VCS... oh, by the time SDI came out on the Amiga I had grown up...

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:35 pm

Playing this on the Amstrad and have no idea what you are meant to be doing. the gun doesnt seem to hurt your men on the first level. the 2nd level the man dies when walking over something very weird looking that you cant shoot!

help!