Paper Boy - First impressions

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

paranoid marvin

Re: Paper Boy - First impressions

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:37 pm

With the benefit of hindsight , the irony is not lost on realisation that back in the day , most of the money we spent on Paperboy in the arcades was earned - you guessed it - doing paper-rounds for real. With those iconic Atari visuals and sound effects/speech , Paperboy stood out from the crowd - no mean feat when you consider the number of classic titles in arcades around that time.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:32 pm

First impressions were great, I loved the colourful cartoony graphics and the oh so catchy tune. The people and environment all have real character and presence. Then I quickly realised how hard it could be and tricky to control at times!!

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:51 pm

First impressions? Great!

Paperboy stands out from its' contempories, in cab design, sound, visuals and gameplay. There was nothing like it at the time, and it offered a new type of challennge that other machines didn't.

One thing I will say - it's ROCK hard, harder than I remember. I love the risk and reward aspect of flinging your papers at non-subscribers' windows, only to have run out of papers for your real customers! Some of the obstacles are unfair, the traffic at the intersection seems to be a lottery more than anythibng else. And is it just me, or does the steering go MENTAL when you hit the obstacle course? I've played this game a lot, and never scored highly on that part!

Stevenhill321

Post by Stevenhill321 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:57 pm

The first time I saw Paperboy was on tv. It was on a program called first class presented by Debbie Green. It was a trivia show on BBC1 and had a video game section with paperboy, 720 and track and field. Ahhhh the memories.

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:23 am

Stevenhill321 wrote:The first time I saw Paperboy was on tv. It was on a program called first class presented by Debbie Green. It was a trivia show on BBC1 and had a video game section with paperboy, 720 and track and field. Ahhhh the memories.
Loved that program, Debbie Greenwood is a babe!

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:58 am

I hadn't actually played this until somewhat recently. I can see why it holds up as a classic. Snapping papers to customers is a simple yet entertaining concept. I really love all the wacky characters and things that get in your way. The game is imaginative, inventive and has tight control.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Looked great and seemed to have a novel idea, a bit like an arcadey take on 'Trashman'. Two seconds of play revealed what a dreadful game it was as you were squeezed into the bottom-right corner of the screen with no way to see oncoming hazards. The oblique 3D view also belied an apalling and unfair 2D collision model that'd kill you for trying to ride past a tiny obstacle.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:55 pm

I had the Commodore 64 version, and after it was delayed for several months after the other 8-bit versions came out, it was very poor :(

B-W01

Post by B-W01 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:34 am

Getting through the day is hard work. While riding your pushbike, I often miss the mailboxes and break the windows of subscribers by accident. At least you can slow it down to make things a bit easier. In terms of what version is the best port, the Amiga version comes as close to the coin-op version. I have to say that the C-64 version is a disappointing effort, poor collision detection and all.