Tales of The Dot Eaters

Relive the glory days of gaming and take a walk down Nostalgia Lane via YouTube.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

8TrackMind

Tales of The Dot Eaters

Post by 8TrackMind » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:36 pm

Heya, peeps. Here's a series of videos I'm working on. I'm not much for pigeon-holing myself with a specific genre, but all are about classic games, and feature a bit of commentary from me about the game in question, followed by gameplay footage. Any constructive criticism (or kudos!) would be greatly appreciated.

EP.3 - White Water! for the Mattel Intellivision

EP.2 - When Crazy Climber Climbed onto the Atari 2600

EP.1 - The Sheriff Goes Insane! in Law of the West
--
8TrackMind
End Boss at The Dot Eaters: Video Game History 101
Website | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

8TrackMind

Re: Tales of The Dot Eaters

Post by 8TrackMind » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:12 pm

This is episode 3 of my WePlay retro game video series. I brave the raging river and angry forest natives (and randy hillbillies) on the Mattel Intellivision during gameplay of another of Imagic’s wonderfully creative outings for the console, White Water!

EP.3 Retro Games WePlay: White Water! for the Intellivision
--
8TrackMind

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 am

Quick question on The Dot Eaters. Reading the 'about' page, it says it "chronicles the history and progression of video games from early pre-PONG systems up until the big video game crash of 1983-84".

Since this is a common bugbear for non-US readers, does it also acknowledge that the 'crash' was regional? Here in the UK (and other parts of the world), we weren't so tied in to consoles, we were computer gamers, so the 'crash' wasn't really evident. It always seems like an anomaly to us that games lessened somehow.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

8TrackMind

Post by 8TrackMind » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:56 pm

Thanks for asking. To keep things manageable (and keep my sanity), a lot of the site is NA-centric. There are some exceptions, like my in-depth look at the Famicom, which of course deals a lot with the Japanese video game market at the time. You can check it here if you like: http://thedoteaters.com/?bitstory=console/famicom

Another note is that while I have a retro computer and games section on my site, I don't really deal with the Speccy or other UK computers.
--
8TrackMind

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:29 am

Thanks for the reply. It's fine that the site is US-centric, since that's your experience and inevitably what interests you, but good to know you do accept the wider world view and acknowledge the crash wasn't global as so many US sites ignore that.

Great site by the way.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.