The Story Of The Atari Genesis

Relive the glory days of gaming and take a walk down Nostalgia Lane via YouTube.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Laird

The Story Of The Atari Genesis

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:43 am

Crusty Starfish

Re: The Story Of The Atari Genesis

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm assuming your now going a documentary type route with your videos laird? .
A nice approach to take and one I applaud.
Some constructive criticism if i may.
You put a lot of emphasis on how disappointing the Master System was for Sega in the USA and nobody let alone myself is going to doubt that or it was outsold by the technically inferior Atari 7800, however, to present the XEGS and ST in the manner you did, was rather questionable.
The XEGS was a stock clearance manoeuvre by Atari, where as the focus on the ST was as a cheaper rival to the Mac and not as a games machine.
The Scott D.Williamson info is rather..ahem..Vintage shall we say?..
Having recently joined Atari Age forum, i found a good few of Scott ' s insights, including this:
"It was my first project at Atari and I co-authored it with Ed Schneider who wrote Lynx TurboSub and RoboSquash and later was a co-founder of NuFX which became EA Chicago much later. Ed had a long list of games he had made on several platforms and I hadn't shipped a title yet. We were originally hired to write games for the Tomahawk. That was the name that Sega gave their new MegaDrive system for North America. From what I know, Atari VP Larry Siegel had been brokering a deal where I believe Atari would be the North American (possibly worldwide) distributor for the system and its games. Sega was looking for an "aggressive American" name for the console, that's what led to the name Tomahawk, but we didn't like it very much. We had an office contest to see who could come up with a better name, I think the prize was a steak dinner. Steve Ryno came up with the name Genesis, either "as the console that would redefine gaming", or after the effect in the Star Trek 2 movie, either way it stuck. The deal later fell through and I don't know if Steve ever got his prize, but that's is seriously how the Sega Genesis got its name.
Anyway, I was getting ready to write games on the 68000 and when the deal fell through. "
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/75872- ... s%20%20ste
That's 7 years old :o ..did you take the quote from that thread?.
Going back to Sega and the Master System, again as you did with your chat in the Jaguar Birthday thread..you talk of Europe..but only mention 2 aspects, the UK and France.
Any reason you didn't mention Sega's distribution network of choice for Germany, AIROLASOFT and what a pigs ear they made of that?
I'm also wondering why a video presented as a Story Of...ends with your personal speculation about potential Sega games on the Lynx, yet whilst posing various questions to the viewer, doesn't ask if Sega would still of launched the Game Gear and has speculation in at all.
I enjoy your videos but these docu style ones currently seem a little confused in terms of what they want to be..
An accurate account of what did happen or speculation at what might of happened.
They are like a 2 headed dog with both heads snapping and barking at each other, it's hard to stay on track with parts of them as they jump from fact to speculation and back to fact again.

The Laird

Re: The Story Of The Atari Genesis

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:06 pm

1. I've interviewed Scott many times over the years, most recently for last month's RG. I don't really care about anything he's posted on Atari Age to be honest.

2. I'm not sure what manner I presented the XE and ST in really. They barely get a mention in the video.

3. I mention UK and France because those were the 2 most successful territories for the SMS at the time. I thought that was fairly obvious.

4. I don't see any problem with putting some personal opinions into a documentary, it encourages people to put forward their own.

5. I don't see the Game Gear as relevent to the story at all.

6. I want to encourage discussion, so I will always put forward questions as well as facts. Sorry if you don't like that format.

7. I have actually been writing documentary style videos for several years, just for other people. I have now decided to do these myself instead.

Thank you for your feedback anyway. This is the first negative feedback I've received, the rest has been so unbelievably positive it's encouraged me to do more. This was very much a test of the waters so to speak.