New information regarding the Retro Gamer website

It's finally here - the new and fully interactive RG website - finally an online presence worthy of the magazine

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

New information regarding the Retro Gamer website

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:31 am

Hi everyone, we're aware that there are still gremlins that need fixing and it's currently being looked at by the new Future Engineering Team, here's a message from Toby, who is currently tinkering away in the background.

Hi everyone,
As Darren said recently the RetroForum site is now being managed by the Future PLC engineering team, however we've not started off very well as it takes a little while to get to grips with new systems and things have been ... unstable.

For those who're interested, the RetroForum site runs on Amazon AWS instances, and over time has grown and its usage has changed. The frequent issues shown on the forum have been caused by the backend database overloading the available memory on the servers and being killed off. I've made some changes to try and reduce contention for memory, and while this may impact page-to-page performance, overall it'll stop the site crashing out entirely.

I'll been keeping an eye on things, and may need to make some more changes to improve performance further but I'm happy that the service is stable and won't suddenly quit out.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → b a

Toby (+ Future Engineering Team)

Crusty Starfish

Re: New information regarding the Retro Gamer website

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm

It's a bit odd - takes an absolute age to load up the forum (make a cuppa and return just in time) then going from thread to thread is reasonably quick. Then it's sllllooooooooowwwww again.

Thanks for the update though! Hopfully it'll all be working swimmingly soon.