New forum - issues and complaints

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 am
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:05 pm

It will be good to get the Off Topic section back and a 'no politics/religion' policy is obviously needed here now.

I suppose dealing with a PLC has just added to the pressures of running the mag, let alone running and moderating a forum. Still, hopefully within a few weeks we will all be happily talking about other things of high standard in the off topic... like 'what your poo was like today'!!!!!

Roll on Friday and the general Election being out of the way.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24222
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:38 pm

markopoloman wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:05 pm
It will be good to get the Off Topic section back and a 'no politics/religion' policy is obviously needed here now.

I suppose dealing with a PLC has just added to the pressures of running the mag, let alone running and moderating a forum. Still, hopefully within a few weeks we will all be happily talking about other things of high standard in the off topic... like 'what your poo was like today'!!!!!

Roll on Friday and the general Election being out of the way.
Nar, it wont be

Give it a week afterwards
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

psj3809
Posts: 18551
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Yeah please delete that 'poo' thread. Depressing seeing that on the forum

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24222
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:41 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:10 pm
Yeah please delete that 'poo' thread. Depressing seeing that on the forum
theres quite a few poo threads on it, that was the problem...............................
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26326
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:14 pm

I find the poo thread amusing. I can't say my actions there are regular (unlike my bowels), but I drop in once in a while for a quick giggle. There;s some quite creative writing in there with lots of synonyms previously unknown to me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8444
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:26 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:10 pm
Yeah please delete that 'poo' thread. Depressing seeing that on the forum
Agreed. I am surprised it lasted as long as it did. Disgusting stuff like that has no place on this forum.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26326
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:28 pm

There is nothing ;disgusting' about the process of poo. We all do it. If you really feel that way, you might want to have a look at your sensitivity filters.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24222
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:14 pm

How about great mighty poo?

Image
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

User avatar
Sputryk
Posts: 2481
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Cobbydale

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by Sputryk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:52 pm

flatapex wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:59 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 am
Hope 'Off Topic' does return. Yes, there are other places to chat, but this is a place where you can chat/banter with like-minded people who all seem like pretty decent types.

No Off Topic means no birthday greetings, no Secret Santa, no Fantasy Footy... :cry:
It really seems to undermine the work done by sputryk on the fantasy football and by replayretro and last year myself getting the secret santa running.
Yay! I got a mention. V.I.P. :lol:

Not too surprised something drastic has taken place. Despite very well constructed arguments from certain Forumites, they did come across all too often as an accusatory 'you are wrong' rather than the more responsible 'I think you're wrong'. It cannot be too difficult to take a brief step back to review a post before posting - be safe, not sorry. Political and religious threads can survive in a responsible world; but I expect the end has already passed for those, now.

Do expect Off Topic to return shortly. Bereft of certain topics, but back. And with new, stricter rules to be followed. I can live with the probable changes, and no doubt most of you can too. Perhaps it will also be for the better.

Patience, my friends: We'll all be having fun again, soon. :)

flatapex
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 10:30 pm
Contact:

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by flatapex » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Sputryk wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:52 pm
flatapex wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:59 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 am
Hope 'Off Topic' does return. Yes, there are other places to chat, but this is a place where you can chat/banter with like-minded people who all seem like pretty decent types.

No Off Topic means no birthday greetings, no Secret Santa, no Fantasy Footy... :cry:
It really seems to undermine the work done by sputryk on the fantasy football and by replayretro and last year myself getting the secret santa running.
Yay! I got a mention. V.I.P. :lol:

Not too surprised something drastic has taken place. Despite very well constructed arguments from certain Forumites, they did come across all too often as an accusatory 'you are wrong' rather than the more responsible 'I think you're wrong'. It cannot be too difficult to take a brief step back to review a post before posting - be safe, not sorry. Political and religious threads can survive in a responsible world; but I expect the end has already passed for those, now.

Do expect Off Topic to return shortly. Bereft of certain topics, but back. And with new, stricter rules to be followed. I can live with the probable changes, and no doubt most of you can too. Perhaps it will also be for the better.

Patience, my friends: We'll all be having fun again, soon. :)
Dude, you deserved that mention. I honestly hope you are right, knocking politics and religion on the head would do the place loads of good and then if the worst argument we get is whether excrement is a suitable topic for men in their 30s and 40s, things can't be too bad.
Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14819
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 pm

The Laird wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:26 pm
psj3809 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:10 pm
Yeah please delete that 'poo' thread. Depressing seeing that on the forum
Agreed. I am surprised it lasted as long as it did. Disgusting stuff like that has no place on this forum.
Well I (respectfully) disagree. It's not a thread I'd ever post in and to be honest, it isn't the sort of thing I'd even discuss in real life BUT deciding to simply delete topics that some people find disgusting doesn't sit right with me. It would be a slipperly slope of selective deleting and essentially telling us what we can and can't read/discuss. I've always maintained that if you don't agree with something and don't want to be offended by it, then don't get involved in the thread. I got a little involved in the political threads and I wish I hadn't but that was my choice to make so I can only blame myself.

It's bad enough when entire chains of posts are deleted/edited in heated exchanges and I don't even agree with the ban on political/religious threads either to be honest because - again - having certain subjects banned doesn't really make me feel like I'm living somewhere like the UK! I understand why it has to be done for the business reasons relating to Future but I am 100% against censorship and the like aside from the obvious content designed to promote the likes of terrorism, bullying etc. As has been said before, this forum is a paradise compared to many others I have seen. I don't think some people here would last a few hours on those places if they think the atmosphere was getting 'heated' here!

Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread/sub-section into another raging debate so I'll just leave it there. I'm pretty confident that I wouldn't find myself in a position to be on the receiving end of heavy-handed policing anyway but the sheer principle of it all is definitely making me consider just leaving (and no, I'm not looking for attention -just stating a fact). I'll have to see. I don't think I really contribute to threads much anymore anyway but there are some decent people on here that I enjoy occasionally talking to via PM.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
aztecca
Posts: 5216
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by aztecca » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:26 am

Poo threads are a staple of any good forum off topic.They bring together people from every race and religion.Talking about an everyday occurrence for each person on the planet.If you don't like it you don't have to read it.Ive never seen an argument in a poo thread.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

psj3809
Posts: 18551
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:25 am

Ha ha i'm finding this quite surreal talking about this !

I've never seen a 'poo thread' on any other forum i've been on but fair enough perhaps you have. I'm not offended by it, i've never posted in it but perhaps if they want to clean up (probably wrong word to use !) off topic that might go. Either way totally agree on political/religious threads being banned as they never go anywhere good and just causes arguments. With Darren and Nick being the mods i'm sure they'll be more strict as the last thing they want to do is faff about with reported messages over and over, they (Sure we as well) want them to run the mag.

Be nice to have off topic back though

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6718
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am

The Off Topic part of the foum will be returning next week.
We've got a few things that need to be deleted based on feedback and discussions that we've had and we'll be modifying the AUP to ban all discussion of politics and religion going forward.
Any threads featuring those subjects will also be deleted.
We're well aware how much time certain members have put into some of these threads and will be bringing them back as soon as possible.
Thanks for your understanding on this.
Image

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8444
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: New forum - issues and complaints

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am
The Off Topic part of the foum will be returning next week.
We've got a few things that need to be deleted based on feedback and discussions that we've had and we'll be modifying the AUP to ban all discussion of politics and religion going forward.
Any threads featuring those subjects will also be deleted.
We're well aware how much time certain members have put into some of these threads and will be bringing them back as soon as possible.
Thanks for your understanding on this.
Good news and sounds like an excellent solution.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests