Mobile Forums...Please

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Jet Pilot

Mobile Forums...Please

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:29 am

The new website looks great on PC's as well as mobile devices. It formats the site based on the device. I love it.

I wish I could say the same for the forums. Unfortunately these forums are virtually unusable on mobile devices due to the formatting. Is there any way to set up a mobile layout that displays in a user-friendly format on mobile devices (something that would auto-detect the device so it will display in the current format on PC's and in a mobile format on mobile devices)? I really enjoy the forums, but most of my forum-usage is done in spare time on my phone. Unfortunately I have not been able to participate in the Retro Gamer forums as much as I would like because the forums do not have a mobile layout and using the PC layout in a mobile device is entirely too cumbersome.

A couple years back I recommended installing the free Tapatalk plug-in on the forum. The installation takes about 15 minutes (it's a plug-in that the forum host installs in the phpBB forum software) and allows those on mobile devices to read and post on the forum in a mobile-friendly format using the free Tapatalk app (I have an iPhone, however the app is available across all formats). For those browsing on the computer there is no change. For those who like the PC format on their mobile device there is no change. But for those who would like to read and participate in the forums using their mobile device in a mobile-friendly format the difference is night and day.

http://tapatalk.com

Please consider establishing a mobile format for the forums or installing the Tapatalk app. I have no idea why there is such a resistance against this when the vast majority of us use smart phones and/or tablets and it would have zero affect on folks when logged in from a PC.

I have no connection to Tapatalk. I just find the app to be very useful and think it would be a huge improvement for the Retro Gamer forums on mobile devices.

Thanks for reading this.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

psj3809

Re: Mobile Forums...Please

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:41 am

Not this again ! You start a tapatalk thread every year or so !

I've been accessing the forum from my iphone for the last 5 years and i havent had a problem, all works fine. I dont want to pay for an app just to be able to read a forum.

I think the biggest issue is to make sure the forum/server doesnt keep going down at the moment, this is just secondary. If many other people also posted that they want it working in tapatalk i could understand but you're the only person going on about this throughout the years!

I mean 'Unfortunately these forums are virtually unusable ' ? Seriously ? Thats total rubbish. Again i've been fine for 5 years. Lets just get the website/forums working first without crashing for days. If the many people here who view the forum on their android phones or iphones had an issue i'm sure there would be plenty asking the same. Not just the same one person constantly

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:11 am

Forum seems to work fine (when it's accessible that is) on my Nexus 4, I use it regularly.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Why are more options a bad thing?

First of all, the app is FREE...you don't have to pay for anything. The plug-in is free, so the site doesn't have to pay for anything.

Second, like I have said previously, nothing forces you to use the app. The forum doesn't disappear when they install the plug-in. If you like the current PC format on your device then you keep accessing the forums just as you always do. Nothing changes for you. Unless you access the forum from the FREE app then NOTHING CHANGES FOR YOU. All this plug-in does is give people more options on how to view the forum.

If they installed the plug-in and didn't bother to tell you then you would never even know it was there.

Why is giving people more viewing options a negative thing? And you've been using the forums on the iPhone for the past 5 years in the PC format because that has been your only option.

I've brought this up twice before in the past 5 years. The first time was 3.5 years ago. The second time was over 2 years ago. And the second time was in response to others asking for an option for mobile forums (which runs contrary to your assertion that "no one else wants mobile forums"). The other folks asking for mobile forums had the same complaints I have.

Here is that very thread from January 2012:

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=32324

The whole point of the plug-in is that it allows the site owner to set up a mobile theme for their existing forum in about 15 minutes as opposed to having to code one themselves (however that works). If Retro Gamer wants to make their own mobile forum theme that works well on mobile devices (as they did with the main site) than I'd be perfectly happy with that as well. I don't hear anyone complaining that their enjoyment of the main site is ruined because a mobile version exists. Why? Because you can view the site as normal unless you choose to view it in the mobile format on a mobile device.

Here is another forum I use that has all three options available as an example:

Here are the Player One forums in my Safari browser on my iPhone. Same PC format that it always is. I can't read the microscopic text without zooming all the way in and then constantly scrolling left and right, but as you can see it exists (just as it always has) and is available for those that would like to use that format. Even though the Tapatalk plug-in is installed and a mobile version is available, the standard PC format looks just like it always does.

Here are the Player One forums in my Safari browser when it auto-detects that I am on a mobile device (if you want the original format above then just click the "desktop" link...you can continue using the same PC format that you use now...nothing changes for you):

And here are the Player One forums in Tapatalk (if you want the original PC format then just access the forums as you currently do from your web browser just as I did above...nothing changes for you):

Either of the two mobile options are far more readable and user-friendly than the first option, but as you can see, the first option is still available for those who want it. In order to access it, all you have to do is access the forums just like you do now via your Safari browser (on iPhone) of web browser of your choice on other devices. Tapatalk or a mobile format changes nothing for those who want to continue using the PC format on their mobile device. All it does is provide additional options for those of us who would like them.

Thanks again.