Some forum suggestions

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

c0nfu53d

Some forum suggestions

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Don't know it this is the right place for this but I have a some of suggestions for forum improvements.

1 Fix the "<< Return to the homepage" link at the top left of the forums. Currently it goes to http:///. Presumably it's supposed to point to http://www.retrogamer.net.

2 Can we get a spell check in the reply box? Some forums have it next to the reply and preview boxes or withe the BB Code tags. My spelling is atroucious (i'm not even sure thats spelt right) and it would save me having to edit my posts repeatedly and would benifit other forum users too.

3 Some ot the forums are a bit unorganized ie the off topic forum for example could do with a seperate sub forum or forum section even for buy/sell/trade. And maybe a media forum for music/film/art etc thats seperate, Maybe it's just that I'm used to how other forums are set out but it seems messy to me.

Anyway just some thoughts.

oli_lar

Re: Some forum suggestions

Post by oli_lar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:28 pm

1. Click the RG title at the top, takes you back to the main forum.
2. Not a bad suggestion, but you could use firefox? It has built in spell checker.
3. Sales aren't technically allowed on the forum, so that won't happen.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:13 pm

oli_lar wrote: 1,Click the RG title at the top, takes you back to the main forum
Yeah but the other link is sill broken. Why not fix it?

What I mean is have a look at the off topics forum, just on page 1there are 4 "wanted" 2 "for sale" 1 "feedback" and RMLF Want/Trade/Sale thread. It kinda glogs up the off topic forum.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:23 pm

Firefox is good suggestion, only flaw/s for myself 1)It was via that (well it`s security updates) that my PC picked up a Keylogger Malware thing.Nasty which in turn led to 2)Me using PS3 web browser instead to post here.So personally i`d like to see a spell checker on the forum.Also:Fix :view active topics.Been broken for ages.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Opera and Safari also have spell checkers build in, but you can add one to IE if you insist on getting viruses. IESpell is an add-on. I've never used it, but I read that it exists.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:19 pm

I did try a spell checker add on for IE in the past but it didn't seem to work.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Seems fine to me, not messy at all.

Get to forum, click 'show new posts', its all there. No messing about with forum subsections, hunting for new content. Let the forum do the hard work.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:47 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
oli_lar wrote: 1,Click the RG title at the top, takes you back to the main forum
The broken link is to the Retro Gamer website main page, not to the forum - I've mentioned it here before and I've PMed a mod about it (no response), but no-one seems that bothered - a little unprofessional at the very least...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Seems fine to me, not messy at all.

Get to forum, click 'show new posts', its all there. No messing about with forum subsections, hunting for new content. Let the forum do the hard work.
+1
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:11 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:

What I mean is have a look at the off topics forum, just on page 1there are 4 "wanted" 2 "for sale" 1 "feedback" and RMLF Want/Trade/Sale thread. It kinda glogs up the off topic forum.
Perhaps it should, just doesn't bother me personally, never used it.

The separate sales forum has been discussed before, and has been said it isn't going to happen due to the no sales policy. Don't want to see as encouraging them, I guess.