PS2 games?

It's finally here - the new and fully interactive RG website - finally an online presence worthy of the magazine

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

PS2 games?

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Okay, not meaning to be a grumble but I've noticed a few people sneaking in PS2 games on the site by putting them under the vague 'Playstation' category.

One of them also has boxart for it's profile pic, something one of my reviews got deleted for in the past :roll:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ipmarks

Re: PS2 games?

Post by ipmarks » Tue May 11, 2010 6:39 pm

I've noticed this too. Can't really see the PS2 as retro, and as you say there is actually no category for PS2, so they are cheating to get their reviews up. The solution is to take them down of course... but that seems to take a lot of time sometimes.

Still surprises me how they get accepted in the first place, but never mind. At least we don't seem to have hundreds of 3 line reviews appearing anymore... that used to really annoy me.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Tue May 11, 2010 8:15 pm

The PS2 could easily be considered retro... in fact anything pre 2005. I collect for it the same way I collect for the NES, CPC or any other console. It's a shame to restrict games from retro coverage, just because of peoples perception of the word 'RETRO' i.e. the time the games been out in order to qualify.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Sort of see your point, but i personally don't agree with it, but it's just my opinion really... the PS2 just feels too current to be retro for me. Others may disagree, and are entitled to do so.

I think the part I object to here though is the fact that as Megamixer says they are being snuck in using the wrong category (PS1). If Retro Gamer in their infinite wisdom decide to put in a PS2 category then I'd happily read reviews of them. But it hasn't so these reviews should not be there.

Reading that back I sound like a right jobsworth ha ha, it is the thin end of the wedge though, the website is such a fantastic resource, I like to see it used properly... like any great reference material.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Personally I don't really care what is classed as "retro", I just like reading about and playing games.....

....but I wouldn't start a "PS2 retro?" debate on here judging by the reactions of some people to the "PS1 retro?" question :lol:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 12, 2010 1:15 pm

ipmarks wrote:I think the part I object to here though is the fact that as Megamixer says they are being snuck in using the wrong category (PS1). If Retro Gamer in their infinite wisdom decide to put in a PS2 category then I'd happily read reviews of them. But it hasn't so these reviews should not be there.
Yep. While I personally don't class the PS2 as retro, you can bet that I'd be flooding the sit with PS2 reviews should it be allowed. My gripe - as ipmarks says - is with them being snuck in. It's like the PC section being abused for modern games which I'm surprised doesn't happen that much.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 pm

I think a PS2 section should be implemented, for games pre 2005? I have lots of Jap games that people have probably never heard of that I'd like to review.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed May 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Britnostalgic wrote:I have lots of Jap games that people have probably never heard of that I'd like to review.
Sounds thrilling.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu May 13, 2010 3:15 pm

I seem to remember reading, either in the mag or on the forum, that RG currently considers anything pre-2000 to be retro in which case Megamixer has a point.

Still, I'd like to see a top 50 PS2 list too! 8)

chris leach

Post by chris leach » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:18 pm

IMHO I would consider anything not current to be retro. I understand if there has been a year placed on whether or not to consider something retro, but you really dont see PS2 games being currently sold or marketed to the public anylonger New....I mean there are some titles that squeak by, but maybe those onesies and twosies are the ones that should be reviewed....

Everyone knows about the Devil May Cry series, but what about that "Red Star" game that came out not too many years ago? Maybe people would be interested in seeing those titles reviewed as if they were huge hits like the Devil May Cry series?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:44 pm

The usual definition the mag works to is ten years old. The PS2 sneaks in there, if only just; most of the games for it don't though.

jph98

Post by jph98 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:51 pm

I consider PS2 as retro, just, it seems like everyone is flogging PS2 games as bootsales currently.