Website update - help needed

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Website update - help needed

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:47 pm

The guys will be making a new website that will clean things up and makes creating and maintaining profiles easier to do.

What would you like to see implemented to make adding profiles easier and how can we generally improve the navigation of the site. I will be passing on your comments to the relevant department :)

We're also aiming to have forum members helping out (providing they are still interested) and a few other bits and bobs as well.

Kindest regards,
Darran

Team Alfie

Re: Website update - help needed

Post by Team Alfie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Top of my wants list is the ability to change screenshots after a profile has been posted if possible.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:12 pm

That's on the cards as far as I know. It's a pet peeve of mine as well.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Will all the existing stuff be carried over safely still?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

AndyLeon

Post by AndyLeon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Megamixer wrote:Will all the existing stuff be carried over safely still?
If you mean the existing reviews that everyone's written then Yes, absolutely.

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Fix the search engine for a start.

A facility to be able to trace new comments would be nice - at the moment the only way to tell if you have any new comments is by noting the number of comments received, and then trolling through all your reviews in the hope of finding them.

Maybe the inclusion of PS2, X-Box and Gamecube reviews?

When entering the site it would be nice to see the system as well as the game title in the 'Latest Games' section - you get this if you click on the latest games sub-menu, but that extra click is a real pain :)

Every other quibble I have would be solved by giving one of the regular contributors some sort of mod-powers - I think ipmarks has proffered his services on more than one occasion - maybe a nice PM to ipmarks would be a good idea :)
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 pm

AndyLeon wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Will all the existing stuff be carried over safely still?
If you mean the existing reviews that everyone's written then Yes, absolutely.
That's brilliant to know, thanks.

I have an image that needs altering on one of my profiles so another vote for the ability to do that from me.

Also, would it be possible to automatically block a review from being submitted if the game on a specific format has already been covered? Would save a lot of time deleting duplicates.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

AndyLeon

Post by AndyLeon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:06 pm

clarance wrote:A facility to be able to trace new comments would be nice - at the moment the only way to tell if you have any new comments is by noting the number of comments received, and then trolling through all your reviews in the hope of finding them.
This is quite a popular idea so at the moment we're looking as to how best to implement this. Would people only be interested in comments posted on their reviews or would we include reviews that they've commented on as well? Would it best to highlight which of a user's reviews have new comments and have them click through to see them or would a straightforward list of their most recent be easier?
Megamixer wrote:Also, would it be possible to automatically block a review from being submitted if the game on a specific format has already been covered?
Stay tuned for more info on this - it's a problem we're very aware of and will have a solution for.

Andy

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:39 pm

AndyLeon wrote: This is quite a popular idea so at the moment we're looking as to how best to implement this. Would people only be interested in comments posted on their reviews or would we include reviews that they've commented on as well? Would it best to highlight which of a user's reviews have new comments and have them click through to see them or would a straightforward list of their most recent be easier?
I'd personally like to be updated on comments for my own profiles (to save looking through them and seeing if anyone else has had something to say) and also to know about new comments on reviews that I've commented on myself. Sometimes, the comments can turn into a mini-discussion about the game so it would be helpful to know if something else has been added.

AndyLeon

Post by AndyLeon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:31 am

Megamixer wrote:I'd personally like to be updated on comments for my own profiles (to save looking through them and seeing if anyone else has had something to say) and also to know about new comments on reviews that I've commented on myself. Sometimes, the comments can turn into a mini-discussion about the game so it would be helpful to know if something else has been added.
I think that would make the most sense. It's kind of like a forum where each game has it's own thread - you'd want to keep an eye on threads that you'd posted in. Anyone else lending their support to this kind of thing?

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:44 pm

I mentioned a few things in the "Welcome to the new website!" thread, but the main ones I can think of now are:

Copy the page selections ([1-40] [41-80] [81-120] [121-160] [161-200] > >|) to the bottom of the page. It's ridiculous having to scroll back up to go to the next page.

Allow us to change our ratings after we've voted.

Show how many ratings a game has had.

Allow more pics if web space allows. One for a title page, then an in-game would be good, or two in-game pics.

Emailing us about comments is obviously already mentioned.

That's all I can think of for now.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:31 am

AndyLeon wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I'd personally like to be updated on comments for my own profiles (to save looking through them and seeing if anyone else has had something to say) and also to know about new comments on reviews that I've commented on myself. Sometimes, the comments can turn into a mini-discussion about the game so it would be helpful to know if something else has been added.
I think that would make the most sense. It's kind of like a forum where each game has it's own thread - you'd want to keep an eye on threads that you'd posted in. Anyone else lending their support to this kind of thing?
Yes, that sounds about right.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

AndyLeon

Post by AndyLeon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 am

necronom wrote:Copy the page selections ([1-40] [41-80] [81-120] [121-160] [161-200] > >|) to the bottom of the page. It's ridiculous having to scroll back up to go to the next page.
Have just made changes to this on the games and Retrobates pages. We'll revisit the pagination later on as well through - it's a bit old hat at the moment. No Google-style "Retrooooooo" though :)
necronom wrote:Allow us to change our ratings after we've voted.

Show how many ratings a game has had.
I'll definitely add these to the list.
necronom wrote:Allow more pics if web space allows. One for a title page, then an in-game would be good, or two in-game pics.
It's a nice idea - we'll see what the feasibility of this is.

Andy