A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

It's finally here - the new and fully interactive RG website - finally an online presence worthy of the magazine

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
ipmarks
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by ipmarks » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:10 am

Thank you,
Much appreciated.

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:49 am

Cheers, Darran. Much appreciated...
ipmarks wrote: Your Rescue review is fantastic, well researched and an excellent read. The sort of review that reminds me or educates me about old games.
As is that also! Reason I did it. I love reading about old games I never played. Far more interesting than reading something like "Mario World is a great game for the SNES. 9/10".

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:21 pm

Not to be a tell tale (and I don't plan on spying on people to make sure things are maintained) but I've spotted another chap who copies and pastes from wiki... (please note that below is only an example of this person's "work")

RG entry - http://www.retrogamer.net/show_image.ph ... 314&page=1

Wiki entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_of_Fighting

What annoys me about this is that this person hasn't even realised that the information they've stolen is in reference to the franchise and not specifically the original game in the series.

User avatar
witchfinder
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: The Cave of Monsters (AKA Stoke!)
Contact:

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by witchfinder » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:39 pm

I think if you look at most of that guy's reviews you will see the same story - this is of course the guy that posted 37 entries in one day, so it's not difficult to smell a rat is it? :)

I posted around 40 reviews in the early days of the site redesign but eventually got frustrated because many of the suggestions for improvements to the site were ignored or at least never implemented. Simple stuff like a basic matching routine that informs users if the game they are about to review already exists, and a minimum on the number of words that must be entered before a review can be submitted should not be beyond the expertise of whoever developed the site really should they?

The most annoying (and easy to fix) thing is that there is still no way to page through the groups of 20 games at the bottom of each set!

The problem is that the site is based on the template used for one of the photography mag sites and there are a number of things that do not translate over to a gaming site very well. As a result it all seems a bit half-hearted and by the looks of it, a year on and it has been all but abandoned my the magazine staff... :(
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Image

User avatar
ipmarks
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by ipmarks » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:55 pm

I go through phases of feeling the website is unloved, and then my faith is restored...

At the moment I'm in an in between stage. Some good, some bad.
The duplicates and wiki rip offs are being dealt with when complained about, but I'm still at a loss as to how they ever get accepted in the first place. How can a one sentence review get through... it staggers me, it's almost like someone just presses an accept button for new reviews without even reading them... I'm sure nothing that un-professional goes on.

I have a nagging feeling that the mag staff would rather not be bothered with the website anymore, which I suppose is fair enough, as they are concentrating on the quality of the magazine... however they were the ones who told us to use it, to write reviews and comment on others... they should be proud of the really great achievement that the website is, not fed up with the hassle of updating it.

Hardly anyone comments on game reviews anymore either, so perhaps it has had its day... I hope not though, as I still get excited when new decent reviews appear.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14806
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:48 pm

ipmarks wrote: Hardly anyone comments on game reviews anymore either, so perhaps it has had its day... I hope not though, as I still get excited when new decent reviews appear.
The problem is that with all the dodgy 'reviews' being posted, long-time users probably don't visit the site as much hence the lack of comments etc.

I really need to find something else to write-up...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4712
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 wrote:Not to be a tell tale (and I don't plan on spying on people to make sure things are maintained) but I've spotted another chap who copies and pastes from wiki... (please note that below is only an example of this person's "work")

RG entry - http://www.retrogamer.net/show_image.ph ... 314&page=1

Wiki entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_of_Fighting

What annoys me about this is that this person hasn't even realised that the information they've stolen is in reference to the franchise and not specifically the original game in the series.
Yep just about every single 'profile' he's got on there. About time one or two of the more active Retrobates were appointed to help get it all cleaned up. Starts to make the whole profiles thing look a bit of a nonsense doesn't it.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
ipmarks
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by ipmarks » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:03 pm

I agree, I bet there are lots of retrobates who would love the chance to help with the website, even if just proof reading the submissions.

I know I'd do it... there must be loads of other people who would too.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6704
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:58 am

I'll look into this when Damian is back from holiday.
I'm not sure how much access amending stuff gives you, so that may be a factor when deciding. I agree though that it would be helpful for us and allow us to focus on our main concern, namely the mag itself.
Image

User avatar
STranger81
Posts: 2497
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:42 am
Location: Derbyshire

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by STranger81 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:16 am

I love the website and enjoy writing reviews as well as reading those by other users and commenting.

For the life of me I dont understand people who copy and paste from Wikipedia. From what I can see theres no enjoyment what so ever in doing this. Its just lazy.

I always make a point of saying its from wiki in a reviews comments box because its a stupid thing for the user to do. Plus if someone really wants to write a proper review then they will be seen as the duplicate.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14806
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:18 pm

STranger81 wrote:I love the website and enjoy writing reviews as well as reading those by other users and commenting.

For the life of me I dont understand people who copy and paste from Wikipedia. From what I can see theres no enjoyment what so ever in doing this. Its just lazy.

I always make a point of saying its from wiki in a reviews comments box because its a stupid thing for the user to do. Plus if someone really wants to write a proper review then they will be seen as the duplicate.
Incidentally mate, a write-up for Super Punch Out!! has just been uploaded...I think you already did that one?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
STranger81
Posts: 2497
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:42 am
Location: Derbyshire

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by STranger81 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:27 am

Megamixer wrote:
STranger81 wrote:I love the website and enjoy writing reviews as well as reading those by other users and commenting.

For the life of me I dont understand people who copy and paste from Wikipedia. From what I can see theres no enjoyment what so ever in doing this. Its just lazy.

I always make a point of saying its from wiki in a reviews comments box because its a stupid thing for the user to do. Plus if someone really wants to write a proper review then they will be seen as the duplicate.
Incidentally mate, a write-up for Super Punch Out!! has just been uploaded...I think you already did that one?
Yeah I noticed that yesterday when I went on there. I did indeed do it some months ago.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

User avatar
ipmarks
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by ipmarks » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:17 pm

It always seems to be that every time I think the website is back on its feet it falls flat on its face again....

Yesterday about twenty odd reviews appeared in one go!

Some were good, some were ok, but most were awful - and duplicates to boot.

Why do these games get through to being uploaded onto the site? It staggers me. As I've said before, how long would it take to see if Mario Kart 64 for example had been reviewed before. For a start it's Mario Kart 64 for goodness sake! Of course it's been reviewed before.
There's even a duplicate up recently (Super Ghouls n Ghosts) of a game Darran himself reviewed... I mean if whoever is accepting these reviews lets on a duplicate of retro gamers editors own game review what hope is there :roll:

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2699
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by clarance » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Hey, I've just noticed one of my C16 reviews has been duplicated :shock: - but I'll let Sixteen Plus off on that one - for now :)

But seriously - I've got around half a dozen reviews scribbled down, I just can't motivate myself to type them up at the moment - the site seems to have really slowed down in terms of reviews lately, and as I have said before, seems a bit unloved and uncared for.

So I guess you're not moderating the site yet then ipmarks. What happened there then?
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
STranger81
Posts: 2497
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:42 am
Location: Derbyshire

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by STranger81 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:31 am

ipmarks wrote:It always seems to be that every time I think the website is back on its feet it falls flat on its face again....

Yesterday about twenty odd reviews appeared in one go!

Some were good, some were ok, but most were awful - and duplicates to boot.
I noticed that as well. And all from the one user.

I just think its annoying if you think of a game you'd like to do on there, and then find on a search that its already been done and its only 1 paragraph or from Wikipedia.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest