A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ipmarks

Re: A lot of very short reviews appearing on Website

Post by ipmarks » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:55 am

clarance wrote: So I guess you're not moderating the site yet then ipmarks. What happened there then?
Had a couple of speculative message from Darran about this, but haven't heard anything for a little bit. I'd still be up for it, but I'll wait and see.

Really I don't mind who does it, as long as it's done with some care and attention.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:05 pm

clarance wrote:I've got around half a dozen reviews scribbled down, I just can't motivate myself to type them up at the moment - the site seems to have really slowed down in terms of reviews lately, and as I have said before, seems a bit unloved and uncared for.
That's the real shame of this... I really want to read your reviews, and hear well written views of games I haven't played, but you are right to hold off at the moment. They'd probably just get lost in a sea of poor reviews that seem to have returned.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Some good things uploaded recently (I'm talking about Seadog/Sepp Salerno's stuff) but I noticed another lazy duplicate today - this time it's Megaman 8. Don't know if this has been mentioned before but it would have been great if there was a button for reporting duplicates or something.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:14 pm

Megamixer wrote:Some good things uploaded recently (I'm talking about Seadog/Sepp Salerno's stuff)
Abolutely agree, Seadog's reviews have always been good, and I'm really liking the recent reviews by Sepp Salerno, they are how the website should work.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm

kamilucky wrote:One of the problem is that all the reviews being posted long-time users probably don't visit the site as much hence the lack of comments :(
I would agree, back in the day I would enter reviews, comment, browse around and generally enjoy the new site content. Now given the lack of interaction on the site I struggle to get motivated to load anything new, and when I do I don't expect much of in the way of comment, apart from poor old ipmarks who seems to be on a one man mission to keep the thing going.

A lot of time and effort has gone into the reviews on here (well most of them) but I cant see what incentive there is to keep going.

Not sure what to suggest to fix this situation, the site is in real need of an overhaul to make it relevant in 2011 (yes I see the irony in that statement), what if the content could be ported to a true "user generated content" site, more akin to a wiki, where the content could be properly managed and enhanced, add videos, links, quotes, references etc.

Not sure if this is a possibility, what do people think?
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:52 pm

Phoenix wrote:
kamilucky wrote:One of the problem is that all the reviews being posted long-time users probably don't visit the site as much hence the lack of comments :(
I would agree, back in the day I would enter reviews, comment, browse around and generally enjoy the new site content. Now given the lack of interaction on the site I struggle to get motivated to load anything new, and when I do I don't expect much of in the way of comment, apart from poor old ipmarks who seems to be on a one man mission to keep the thing going.

A lot of time and effort has gone into the reviews on here (well most of them) but I cant see what incentive there is to keep going.

Not sure what to suggest to fix this situation, the site is in real need of an overhaul to make it relevant in 2011 (yes I see the irony in that statement), what if the content could be ported to a true "user generated content" site, more akin to a wiki, where the content could be properly managed and enhanced, add videos, links, quotes, references etc.

Not sure if this is a possibility, what do people think?
I think it sounds like a good idea, I've been saying for a while to give the site over to the users, as the management seems to have forgotten all about it...

Do still comment on new reviews (if they're any good obviously), it doesn't really take up much of my time, as only about five reviews a month seem to trickle through anyway. Ah well, may give it up soon though; as you say people who read the reviews are a dying breed and maybe it isn't worth the effort anymore uploading anything new.

It's a shame as it used to be such an excellent and vibrant site, and one where you could really learn about games that had passed you by at the time. If it can be saved then I'd love for it to be, but perhaps that's not going to happen. There has been talk for ages of a change to the site with users being involved in editing, but it has never happened and I've pretty much given up hope on this.

Anyway as a final comment I'll say that I have always enjoyed your reviews Phoenix, and would be sorry if we have seen the last of them.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:04 pm

I read the majority of the reviews when they appear, just because no comments are left doesn't mean that nobody reads them, I read a few new reviews today, the Arnie review in particular really annoyed me, only 2 or 3 sentences and completely wrong... horizontal scrolling?? not isometric?? end of levels??? (the game is just one massive isometric level) I'm not saying I could do a better job, but at least I've played the game in question..

I find the profiles ideal for games I've never played, such as Team Alfie's review of Paranoia on the PCE, I checked it out to see the horny space ants :oops: but found myself actually enjoying the game :D

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:41 pm

SexyWayne wrote:I read the majority of the reviews when they appear, just because no comments are left doesn't mean that nobody reads them, I read a few new reviews today, the Arnie review in particular really annoyed me, only 2 or 3 sentences and completely wrong... horizontal scrolling?? not isometric?? end of levels??? (the game is just one massive isometric level) I'm not saying I could do a better job, but at least I've played the game in question..

I find the profiles ideal for games I've never played, such as Team Alfie's review of Paranoia on the PCE, I checked it out to see the horny space ants :oops: but found myself actually enjoying the game :D
I don't think I was implying that you have to leave a comment when you read a review, that'd be just foolish, some game reviews on the site have viewings in the multi-thousands (not many of mine I'd add), and don't have 1000+comments. I think I'm just remembering how it used to be. You can tell less people are looking at the site, by how many people view the reviews, and it is far, far slower now than it used to be. With many reviews struggling in the low hundreds of views after weeks on the site. Also in the past there were more comments, and you could often find little dialogues going on in the comments section, with many members joining in. This is very rare now.

It's probably natural that the site would slow down, after the initial white-heat of the first year or so, I mean we are perhaps running out of known games. However in some ways I've found a lot of the more recent reviews very interesting as they have been of quite obscure games. I do hope the site continues though, even if it just slowly ticks over, there are still many gems of games I've yet to discover.

I'm glad you are still reading the reviews though, and Team Alfie's reviews are always fantastic, I've learnt about many a great game I've never heard of from him.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:25 pm

The minimum wordcount for a review is 110 words. Anything under this will be immediately deleted. I'm trying to get the rules changed as it's eating into my precious time when you have to send out emails to people stating why their reviews haven't gone up.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The minimum wordcount for a review is 110 words
If you reduce this to just 4 letters then I will post some Amstrad reviews:

P A N T S
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Do the rule changes that mean that reviews less than 110 words will be allowed on?