Best innovation (in a shoot-em-up)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:31 am

If we are talking being the first then Zaxxon. Not just the 1st isometric shoot em up, the first ever isometric arcade game.

Surely Galaxian innovated too, not sure if others beat it to the punch, but the advancement on the space invaders theme with the enemies that broke ranks and swarmed down at you certainly felt innovative.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:11 am

FatTrucker wrote:Boring I know but since its recently come back through the joys of XBLA its got to be the polarity mechanic in Ikaruga. Still a fantastic and beautiful piece of game design. (useless fact for today - Beautiful is the only word I know that I still have to think about how to spell).
I dunno if it's already been covered as I haven't read through the whole of this thread but that polarity gameplay mechanism was used to great effect in Dimahoo waaay before Ikaruga. Fair enough there is some difference between hot and cold but the rules still apply. I would say Raizing's game was first with this particular innovation in a shmup.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:24 am

C=Style wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:Boring I know but since its recently come back through the joys of XBLA its got to be the polarity mechanic in Ikaruga. Still a fantastic and beautiful piece of game design. (useless fact for today - Beautiful is the only word I know that I still have to think about how to spell).
I dunno if it's already been covered as I haven't read through the whole of this thread but that polarity gameplay mechanism was used to great effect in Dimahoo waaay before Ikaruga. Fair enough there is some difference between hot and cold but the rules still apply. I would say Raizing's game was first with this particular innovation in a shmup.
I know it's not a shooter but didn't Silhoutte Mirage use a polarity system too?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:33 am

Yeah it did of course, and you can argue that Treasure was first in using it, but the similarities between the way Dimahoo functions and Ikaruga are too close to be coincidence. Treasure certainly drew inspiration (and a bit more lol) from Dimahoo.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:56 am

Seeing the overhead mode 7 levels on Contra 3 on the SNES for the first time was amazing....as was the boss encounter at the end of Stage 3, the whole of Stage 4, etc., etc.

Brilliant game in every way. And the soundtrack rules too.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:04 pm

Kingdom GP was also very innovative in the way it combined a racing game with a shmup, it may sound a strange combination and I'm not a massive fan of that game, it was still very brave of them to attempt this. As far as I know it's the only game of it's type.

Dimahoo (sequel to Kingdom GP) and it's 'polarity system' is definitely the most innovative gameplay mechanism in a shmup ever though.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Time crisis.You could duck and hide from the bullets.Only to shoot back when you pressed the pedal on the arcade machine
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:26 pm

I don't know if it was innovative and I'm not sure you could class it as clever, but I always thought the chargeable gun in R-Type was a swipe aimed at users of turbo buttons :)

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Oh not again! wrote:I don't know if it was innovative and I'm not sure you could class it as clever, but I always thought the chargeable gun in R-Type was a swipe aimed at users of turbo buttons :)
How many arcade cabs have you seen with a turbo button then...? =-)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:33 pm

TMR wrote:
Oh not again! wrote:I don't know if it was innovative and I'm not sure you could class it as clever, but I always thought the chargeable gun in R-Type was a swipe aimed at users of turbo buttons :)
Chase HQ? :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:52 pm

TMR wrote:
Well none, but I did once see a bloke attack an arcade machine with a crowbar, pinch the cashbox and bugger off in an RS Turbo :)

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:08 pm

Oh not again! wrote:
TMR wrote:
Well none, but I did once see a bloke attack an arcade machine with a crowbar, pinch the cashbox and bugger off in an RS Turbo :)
And the beam weapon didn't stop him - i think i've proved my point... or something?

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:14 pm

TMR wrote:
Oh not again! wrote:
TMR wrote: How many arcade cabs have you seen with a turbo button then...? =-)
And the beam weapon didn't stop him - i think i've proved my point... or something?
Definitely... something? ;)

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:34 pm

The speech in Gorf amazed me when I first heard it. Also in Nemesis the option power-up made me go wow as I'd never seen anything like it before. The weapon system in Side Arms was cool as well.

uglifruit

Post by uglifruit » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:16 pm

I was amazed when shooters would let me fire more than one missile at once, having been a Galaxian censored up to that point.
...you been goofin' with the bees?