Best innovation (in a shoot-em-up)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Best innovation (in a shoot-em-up)

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:04 pm

It doesn't have to be a power-up, but when was the last thing you saw in a shmup where you thought "wow, that's bloody clever"

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:20 pm

Boring I know but since its recently come back through the joys of XBLA its got to be the polarity mechanic in Ikaruga. Still a fantastic and beautiful piece of game design. (useless fact for today - Beautiful is the only word I know that I still have to think about how to spell).
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:27 pm

Everything on Starwing/Starfox on the Super Nintendo made me think as to how clever this game is as back then, I had never seen anything like it. I was amazed and gobsmacked.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:06 pm

And the hook in Boogie Wings (arcade) that lets you grab quite literally anything in game and swing it back at your enemies.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:09 pm

The spaceship level from R-Type (level 3)
nothing has impressed/suprised me as much in a shooter before or since
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:01 pm

To avoid any of the obvious ones, the warper power-up in Delta on the C64 that slowed down the nasties but not the player - it was pretty much bullet time back when the Matrix was just a twinkle in the Wachowski's eyes...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:41 pm

I'm with Marv on this one. R-Type level 3. A whole level that was just one big boss fight. The size of the ship was amazing.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:56 pm

TMR wrote:To avoid any of the obvious ones, the warper power-up in Delta on the C64 that slowed down the nasties but not the player - it was pretty much bullet time back when the Matrix was just a twinkle in the Wachowski's eyes...
Not really a shooter fan and my answer is not really anything to do with the game itself - but the ability to change the drums / bass etc on the Delta music was a total "wow" factor for me at the time.....
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:03 pm

Docking the ships in Moon Cresta to increase the firepower of your craft was pretty cool too (and totally unheard of) back in the day

also allowing your ship to be captured , then rescuing it in Galaga was again a novel idea
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:35 pm

I thought the Electrical charge system on Raytracers at the arcade and playstation was pretty great as you could hold the fire button down and let a load of electric death upon the screen , also had the old greed factor built in as you had to wait until the last minute to get the fully powered up charge ready to be unleashed but would allow a early release (always a dissapointment :lol: )
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:58 pm

When I was a kid I loved the fact that you could switch between land-based and air-based craft in Xenon - never could get past level 2 though.

Also Silkworm was a staple of me and my mates gaming. We always leaned towards co-op games and the fact that one player could be a helicopter and the other a jeep blew my tiny mind.

ah... simple things...

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Gotta be the Ikaruga polarities system really - simple yet stupidly complex :D
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:32 am

I agree with Paranoid, the docking of the ships in Moon Cresta.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:11 am

The trackball control in missile command.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:43 am

the lock on laser in layer section are a favorite. the charge beam in rtype is great. also the bullet 'hold' technique in guwange is a lot of fun.

but the best for me is the score mutiplier and charge beam break system in blazing star.