Official feedback for issue 52

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:No idea what sort of weird bike Stuart rides, but that's no handlebar, its a yoke.
I don't get it?
Last edited by Bub&Bob on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:52 pm

Its not the most common style, but it is a yoke. Handlebars only operate on one plane, a yoke has two. If you extend the grips of a 'normal' yoke downwards, you end up with Star Wars controls. Its a minor aesthetic point. Yoke's aren't of a singular design, there are several variants, but its most certainly a different beast from handlebars.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:01 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:No idea what sort of weird bike Stuart rides, but that's no handlebar, its a yoke.
I don't get it?
Still don't get it - It the worst 'yoke' ive ever heard - Anyway, tried to be funny, fell on its arse so back on track.....
Did enjoy the Amstrad feature but how come after the 10 of the best there were not 2 pages of screenshots for the best of the rest........................oh, right :wink:

Still not sure about the collectors corner - Like the concept but long shots of shelves full of PS2 games hardly excites me. But I guess its difficult to find people to submit really interesting collections.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ortervuli

Post by ortervuli » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:50 pm

Ahh...Son of Blagger .I loved that on the CBM64 but i dont think i quite finished it.How tuff was that.I might have to give it another crack one day. :?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Still don't get it - It the worst 'yoke' ive ever heard - Anyway, tried to be funny, fell on its arse
To be fair, it was an amusing play on words but I was responding to the post before yours and didn't see it until after - you must have posted just after I hit 'reply'. Sorry.

For handlebar controls, please see Paperboy (though if your bike's tilt like that, they're bust)
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:26 pm

It might not be handlebars but it's definately not a yolk. At least according to the person who helped design it ;)

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 am

A Muddyfox with 18 gears :wink:

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It might not be handlebars but it's definately not a yolk.
Well, it's definitely not a yolk, 'cos that's what you find in an egg. But functionally the Star Wars controller IS a yoke, no matter what the designer calls it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoke_(aircraft)

Actually, though, what it is varies from stage to stage in the game. In the towers section it's absolutely unquestionably a yoke - turning left and right rolls your X-Wing and up and down change the pitch. In the trench it's more like an aircraft joystick and approaching the Death Star it's just an aiming crosshair.

PS The flood control on this forum REALLY pisses me off. Is it in so much danger of being swamped by DoS attacks? 10 seconds would be plenty.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:56 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It might not be handlebars but it's definately not a yolk. At least according to the person who helped design it ;)
In that case, I'm going to reinvent the wheel and call it the squirtle ;)
Stuart@retrogamer wrote:
A Muddyfox with 18 gears :wink:
Does it have pitch control? ;)

Whether you want to call it a yoke or not (I don't mind if you want to be wrong ;) ), its still perfectly matched to the game, feeling incredibly natural and very precise.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:10 pm

This yoke isn't funny any more.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Here's an interesting Star Wars game that I've just discovered:

Anyone remember this one?

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It might not be handlebars but it's definately not a yolk. At least according to the person who helped design it ;)
Strangely enough I've just read the 'Making Of' article and that's exactly what he does call it (minus the eggy typo). At least twice in the article (and one of those is a direct quote) its referred to as the 'yoke controller'.

I'll shut up about it now. Even I feel like I'm being pedantic now.

I remember the Droids game too. It was rubbish. As was the cartoon it was based on. The beginning of many Star Wars disappointments really.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:43 pm

yethboth wrote:Here's an interesting Star Wars game that I've just disovered
Im afraid the mag beat you to it with that one.
mikeb wrote:This yoke isn't funny any more.
Sorry but that's too close to home and its too near the bone....

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:59 am

I've only got one thing to say about this issue:

I'll give my reasons why once I have read this issue.

Keep up with the EXCELLENT work Retro Gamer.

:D
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:27 am

yethboth wrote:I've only got one thing to say about this issue:
I'll give my reasons why once I have read this issue.

Keep up with the EXCELLENT work Retro Gamer.

:D
What's the point of saying its excellent when you haven't even read it? Its hardly valuable feedback for the team, is it? It could be the biggest pile of crap ever.
I take you actually have a copy in your possesion?