Official feedback for issue 52

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:15 am

Heavy Stylus wrote:Best issue for ages, and Jason Kelk has done a super job on the homebrew pages again!
[Digs out cheque book and envelopes... =-]

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:47 am

SirClive wrote:Haven't read the thread so not sure what the views on the cover are, but I really don't like it. One of the worst for me.
Its just a bit too pixelated for me - It would have been great if it had been similar to the elite cover but from the star wars arcade game.

What I really want is a feature on 8-bit strip poker and my avatar on the cover :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:36 am

I don't mind the pixelisation. Its just the choice of image. There are far better screenies from any of the Super Star Wars games.

Nice to see the big piece on Retro Fusion.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:45 pm

SirClive wrote:I don't mind the pixelisation. Its just the choice of image. There are far better screenies from any of the Super Star Wars games.

with hopefully a big feature once its over.....
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
SirClive wrote:I don't mind the pixelisation. Its just the choice of image. There are far better screenies from any of the Super Star Wars games.

with hopefully a big feature once its over.....
yeah, that'll depend on how many drinks get bought for me ;)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:17 pm

I would have liked to meet some more of you guys, but Chris would have to schedule the show for the day I leave for the US to attend the San Diego Comicon...!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:59 am

Some issues just grab my attention more than others depending on the content. This one leapt out at me! TheGX4000, SOR2 and Klax articles really floated my boat. Top notch.
Loved the collection of MD games but mines bigger! RG, my MD/MS collection and Spectrum collection pics are on the way please please PLEASE print them!!!
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Bland_Boy

Post by Bland_Boy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:16 am

lol, issue 52?
Here in Australia, if 'ya haven't subscribed yet and buy
from a news-agency we only just got issue 49.

Maybe I should subscribe... :D
For a videogame that was released 11 years ago now, Perfect Dark for the N64 completely trounces all its FPS competitors
of the last decade or so, in terms of variety of multiplayer option at your disposal.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:23 am

SirClive wrote:Haven't read the thread so not sure what the views on the cover are, but I really don't like it. One of the worst for me.
Sad to say I have to agree on the cover - my first reaction was 'ouch, that isn't particularly attractive, and worse, it looks like a cost-cutting exercise'; perhaps it's to offset the additional cost of the splendid metallic effort last month?

Content wise, however, this month is packed full of articles I'm directly interested in (unlike last month, which just wasn't doing it for me)

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:51 am

Fantastic issue, just finished reading it this morning. Some of the highlights for me:

* Great write up on Retro Fusion, really looking forward to it now even more so :)

* Back to the 80's and 90's - fantastic as usual, one of the highlights each month.

* King of Kong feature was very interesting, and good timing as the DVD has just arrived this morning :)

* Making of Star Wars was brilliant, and I was slightly surprised that the C64 conversion was rated well against the other 8-bits. I enjoyed it from my rose tinted C64 view at the time when I got it on budget, but would have thought the Spectrum version would have been favoured more - will have to check it out.

* GX4000 issue was very good too - Shame not more of its capabilites were unlocked. I remember there was one time where I would regularly see them at boot fairs, fully boxed, only with Burnin' Rubber and for £5 every time!

* No doubt will come across as slightly biast because I know Jason, but he really is brilliantly suited to the Homebrew rated section and has again done a top job in his second outing.

Well done guys!

Btw... is the new Retro Gamer bookzine due to go on the eShop anytime soon?
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:40 am

So when will issue 52 be in the shops, and what does the cover look like?

Yes I know I should subscribe, having got every issue from the 'old' issue 1 onwards, you think I'd have done it by now wouldn't you :?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:52 am

GarryG wrote:So when will issue 52 be in the shops, and what does the cover look like?

Yes I know I should subscribe, having got every issue from the 'old' issue 1 onwards, you think I'd have done it by now wouldn't you :?
Cover is in the first page of posts.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:05 pm

markopoloman wrote:Here you go unlucky non-subscribers (and those with crappy postmen or in weird far away lands).........

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:46 pm

I've only got one thing to say about the front cover:

Looking forward in reading the actual issue. :)

Will we see a review of Resident Evil 5 when it finally gets released on the PS3 and Xbox 360?
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:27 pm

How many more posts you gonna do that in?